What is the most practical way to found a religion?

GetPlunderedSon

Chieftain
Seems to me that going for the early shrine can be viable, but outside of happenstancing upon some city-state or ruin faith, is it really just getting a great pantheon? Seems like games I dont end up founding a religion I tend to lose

If you have a desert start try for Desert Folklore. If you can't do that, aim for building Stonehenge. Also, being Ethiopia or the Celts helps.

1. Pick a faith civ like the Celts with their Pictish Warriors and forests, Ethiopia with their Stele, or Maya with their bonus great people
2. If not, find a faith ruin
3. If not, find a faith city-state
4. If not, build a faith wonder
5. If not, choose a faith pantheon
6. If not, open the Piety tree to maximize the +1 :c5faith: from shrines and temples SP in all your cities early on

But honestly, that's all you can do. Sometimes it's just out of your control but Civ is a game of variables

A few things

1. A religious Civ
2. Finding a religious Natural Wonder
3. Building Stonehenge/Allying a religious city state very early
4. The least reliable of the bunch, settle 4 early cities and build a shrine in each of them and with piety end up with 8 faith per turn. Add some basic pantheon (maybe +1 faith per wine IE) for a religion
5. People ignore religion and you manage to build the Hagia Sophia late

Start with your regular buildorder and social policies. Get Piety opener as your 4th policy. Meanwhile expand a bit while teching to Philosophy. Build shrine/temple as soon as you get Piety. With 4 cities, that's 12 faith per turn.

Congrats, you've got a religion without any faith pantheon/natural wonder/etc.

Early temples built in half the time. Nice and easy and can be followed by NC. After that, get Theology and add a juicy wonder or more cities or Organized Religion or all of this :). That should guarantee good religious pressure.

Granted it's not always the best choice to get a religion but that's up to you.

I've noticed as long as u get +3 faith a turn or higher by turn 80 or so you'll usually get a religion.

If you go Liberty you can take a prophet with the finisher. Alternatively, you can take an Engineer and get the Hagia Sophia with it (bigger boost overall but it's not always available obviously).

Top Bottom