Why don't you play with mods?

What is the reason for you staying as Purist?

• I don't want to spoil the Original Game with those nasty files of corruption

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • Multiplayer :(

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • I don't have time/will to mess with configuring/trying new mods

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I don't like mods

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • One day long ago, one modder killed my beaver and since then I don't trust them anymore

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • This game is Perfect for me

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters

Krajzen

Deity
I am sociologically interested in one silly problem: why after Complete Release of Civilisation V many people play it, complain on the same problems and beg for more patches, and don't try using mods to fix annoying aspects of the game/get entirely new experiences ;)

I cannot imagine playing without statistics, ethnic unit skins, additional civs and balanced ones, balanced AI (and group of powerful modders are currently working on full scale better AI mod), maps and so on.

And I was 'purist' for very long time ;)

1. I am on a Mac.

2. I notice that once I start loading mods, I stop playing games. This seems to be a pattern with me. I start modding up, and then I lose the kernel of joy that I once had playing the game. Then I stop playing.

3. Lazy.

I like to play the game as intended. I also don't want any bugs and incompatibilities

1. Achievements
2. Achievements
3. Achievements

The funny thing about achievements is that no one but you cares about them. So all you need to do is eliminate one person from caring about them and you're completely free to do whatever you want.

I like to play the game as intended. I also don't want any bugs and incompatibilities

This is always interesting, except for the fact that a lot of game designers honestly are terrible at their jobs. It's kinda like the flashlight for Doom 3. There was no reason for it to be implemented that way, mods fixed it, everyone is happier.

Krajzen, from what I've read on the forums the primary anti-mod sentiment seems to be that mods disable Achievements. They need to harvest all those useless (to me) things.

I use mods.

Simple: "to each, his own." Some people don't care about the things you care about and vice versa.

I don’t make it a point to pursue achievements, but I appreciate it when they pop-up, so I would prefer not to give that up. Info Addict looks interesting, but the game plays okay without it. I remained unconvinced that it would really add to my enjoyment. Mostly I play with old GOTM saves, so I don’t think mods would work anyway. I figure if a mod is really that good, it will find its way into an official patch. I might try the Better AI mod when it gets done.

My day job is ensuring quality control. It dictates that I don't trust professional engineers and challenge their work to the best of my ability. I have a hard time trusting the Civ5 engineers, let alone some random script kid or developer in a dangeon.

No disrepect... If I don't know who's writing the code and who's testing it I'm not running it.

The funny thing about achievements is that no one but you cares about them. So all you need to do is eliminate one person from caring about them and you're completely free to do whatever you want.

If you eliminate the only person who cares about achievements (yourself) then you've eliminated the person you're trying to get to play mods too.

Games like Starcraft 2 and Skyrim thrive on mods because the regular single player game is in many ways limited. If you do every quest (including secret ones) in Skyrim you might be able to squeeze 100 hours out of the game (including all DLC). But with all of the modded adventures you can play indefinitely. Starcraft 2 has about a 10 hour campaign (20 including expansion) and a tonne of people who hate competitive multiplayer.

Civilization 5 on the other hand attracts people who want to play single player. The base game had tonnes of content because every single game will be unique. The base game might be good for 1000 hours of gameplay with each nation DLC adding in another 10-20 hours.

At the end of the day the vast majority of people who play Civilization 5 haven't even won as every single nation. There's still a tonne of life in the girl.... and we're looking at a Civilization MMO and new Civilization game coming out still.

At least I'm not the only person that cares about achievements, Steam or console.

I recently started playing with Ninakoru's mod that rebalances the game based on the majority of the complaints players have. It makes the game far less science focused, archer/CB/XBow spam is no longer the default army composition, honor and piety are actually good policy trees, etc. I like it a lot better than the original game, but it does have its own imbalances. Poland is ridiculously overpowered, even more so than the unmodded game.

Hall of Fame and Achievements.

This is always interesting, except for the fact that a lot of game designers honestly are terrible at their jobs. It's kinda like the flashlight for Doom 3. There was no reason for it to be implemented that way, mods fixed it, everyone is happier.

Umm..

Hall of Fame and Achievements.

And me includes is three people who actually play for achievements.. so yeah :lol: he's not the only one who plays for achievements. People have their own style.

Anyway, Multiplayer (primarily hotseat and lack of scenario playbility) as well as the often possible conflict and instability of mods (although Communitas is great, for whatever the reason, it lags between turns) is why I often play non-modded games.

Umm..

And me includes is three people who actually play for achievements.. so yeah :lol: he's not the only one who plays for achievements. People have their own style.

Anyway, Multiplayer (primarily hotseat and lack of scenario playbility) as well as the often possible conflict and instability of mods (although Communitas is great, for whatever the reason, it lags between turns) is why I often play non-modded games.

Make that number four

I don’t make it a point to pursue achievements, but I appreciate it when they pop-up, so I would prefer not to give that up.

Same.

But mainly I don't feel like I'm playing the same game as everyone else. Some of the mods are super imbalanced in their own ways anyway, and the AI can rarely cope with the changes. The base game isn't perfect but it's solid enough.

Mainly same reason as Zaimejs.

I'm on a Mac and I don't want to screw things up.

Top Bottom