Why don't you play with mods?

What is the reason for you staying as Purist?

• I don't want to spoil the Original Game with those nasty files of corruption

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • Multiplayer :(

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • I don't have time/will to mess with configuring/trying new mods

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I don't like mods

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • One day long ago, one modder killed my beaver and since then I don't trust them anymore

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • This game is Perfect for me

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters
I only just started using mods. For a long while, I liked grabbing achievements, but now I've hopped the fence and started. I don't use any mod civilizations, but I do have these and don't want to part with them:

- quick turns: stops rendering animations for units you can't see, stops showing units moving that you aren't at war with, but does allow you to still see combat animations.

- a mod that fixes spawns Krakatoa, rock of Gibraltar, and GBR to be always workable and to never cause bonus resources to be unusable, as well as only appearing next to decent landmasses.

- a mod that allows renaming units any time

- a mod that adds a clock to the game, as well as alarms and a forced save and quit at a time option.

And so on. I don't care to tamper with balance or design for the most part (except that I have one that makes xcom a project). Mostly, just stuff that makes the base game play better.

I would love to try some of these mods. Could you post links to the right versions? That's one of the biggest problems with mods -- discovery. How do I know which mods are the "good" ones? People usually refer to their favorite mods in vague terms. So how can I ever discover which ones they mean?

I couldn't care less about Steam achievements. The reason I complain about certain game aspects and then don't fix them with mods are:

1. I generally want to be having the same game experience as everyone else, rather than fragmenting the Civ community into a thousand slightly different variants.

2. I don't want to spend hours reading about mods, installing them, and trying them to figure out what works for me and what doesn't.

3. One of the glaring problems with Civ 5 is that the game is more complicated than the AI can handle. I worry that any mod that changes balance or gameplay mechanics will just increase the gap between human and AI. For example, I would love it if it were possible to build canals so that ships could cross an isthmus (like in Civ 4 BTS). But I wouldn't install a Civ 5 mod that let me build canals with Forts or Citadels or some new Great Admiral improvement. Because there's no way the AI will be updated to take advantage of this new mechanic. So I've just enabled a little personal cheat.

That said, I'm all for interface mods (faster turn times, faster bomber animations, more informative diplomacy screens, etc.).

Achievements really. It's also hard to benchmark improvement unless you play with the exact same thing against a baseline (read: modless)

I'm not bored with vanilla just yet.

I run mods on Minecraft to break the monotony of the vanilla game due to being bored with the same ol' thing. Civ 5 is so much more varied in its gameplay that I have no need to spice it up.

I voted for the beaver option because giant space mutants wasn't on the poll.

I need a new poll option for "I'm old and don't understand how to properly integrate mods into the game files"

I spent an entire evening trying to figure out how to properly load mods onto Morrowind to make it playable, and it was a disaster.

7 pages worth of people that don't use mods, in a game that supports modding with ease. you guys are missing out, you know?

well, I guess learning how to mod is not for anyone. you need some good programming skills :p

I see no issue in playing with mods since most of my issues are rage quitting after a game that seems to give a win but doesn't. As for the mod thing, it could be a good idea to consider since it just might give a whole new experience.

I've used mods in the game, but I'd rather focus on the 'regular' version of the game so I don't get confused when I play multiplayer.

Also, loading mods takes ages.

Top Bottom