Medieval England - suggest map settings please!

TurboJ

Warlord
I'm trying to find the 'perfect' map settings for playing England on deity / domination.

Marathon game pace so I can focus on the eras I like, the medieval and reneissance eras.

I would like your help in choosing map settings because so far I haven't been succesful.
I want the surroundings to be somewhat 'authentic' - I hate it if I get a jungle start and also if there are no strategic resouces anywhere. Also, I would like to be able to really use the early naval vessels while also utilizing ground troops heavily.

For the general look and feel of a map, I think the Continents Plus, and Small Continents Plus maps are nice, but the resources and city state placements can be problematic, and it is also a problem that you either get good land or good sea, but it's difficult to get both. Also Terra can be nice, but things get really aggressive right from the start because everybody is so close to each other, and there are less map options for it anyway.

So, with which map settings would I get both land and sea, shallow sea areas for galleass domination, lots of iron and horses, and terrain that would give that authentic English feel? Yes I know, perfectionism..

Try the Communitas map script, available on steam workshop. My favorite map, I play it mostly with England.
Basically, it's similar to Continents but with a lot of tiny islands, filled with bonus and strategic resources (mostly stone and coal, that will allow you to upgrade your caravels into Ironclads if you decide to go through Industrial).

There are few inland seas, but they are always connected to blue waters via narrow and strategic straights. 90% of the capital cities are coastals, it makes naval invasion easy, Promoted SotL with range can strike almost everywhere. Some inland cities are even connected to oceans with one-tile-rivers. The rest of the cities can be reached with ground troops. I recommend to set up "low sea level" if you want more land warfare.
You're also guaranteed to start with sea resources (fish or lux), which makes the GL fully useful (don't know if you build it early or conquer the city that hosts it... I play on Immortal and I always get it if I beeline Optics but it's the only wonder I can grab at this level!)

There are oceanic rifts to make astronomy usefull, but you can reach all the civ and CS on your continental mass by the swallow waters, which makes galleass very dangerous! Continents don't touch both southern and northern cap ices, so the ships will be able to circumnavigate whithout trouble. Some remote islands remains unspoiled until astronomy and full of barbarians and sometimes few ruins... send a promoted scout there to gain a archer with free mp!

There a lot of rivers and lakes, which allow you to build water-building in almost all cities (mill, garden...) stone spawn a lot, so stoneworks will help for happiness and production.

Try the Communitas map script, available on steam workshop. My favorite map, I play it mostly with England.
Basically, it's similar to Continents but with a lot of tiny islands, filled with bonus and strategic resources (mostly stone and coal, that will allow you to upgrade your caravels into Ironclads if you decide to go through Industrial).

There are few inland seas, but they are always connected to blue waters via narrow and strategic straights. 90% of the capital cities are coastals, it makes naval invasion easy, Promoted SotL with range can strike almost everywhere. Some inland cities are even connected to oceans with one-tile-rivers. The rest of the cities can be reached with ground troops. I recommend to set up "low sea level" if you want more land warfare.
You're also guaranteed to start with sea resources (fish or lux), which makes the GL fully useful (don't know if you build it early or conquer the city that hosts it... I play on Immortal and I always get it if I beeline Optics but it's the only wonder I can grab at this level!)

There are oceanic rifts to make astronomy usefull, but you can reach all the civ and CS on your continental mass by the swallow waters, which makes galleass very dangerous! Continents don't touch both southern and northern cap ices, so the ships will be able to circumnavigate whithout trouble. Some remote islands remains unspoiled until astronomy and full of barbarians and sometimes few ruins... send a promoted scout there to gain a archer with free mp!

There a lot of rivers and lakes, which allow you to build water-building in almost all cities (mill, garden...) stone spawn a lot, so stoneworks will help for happiness and production.

The only thing I don't like about the Comunitas Map is that it only gives 2 options: Continents or Terra. I wish it offered a few more option, specifically Pangaea and Archipelago.

Top Bottom