Is there anything more annoying than getting beat to a wonder by 1 turn?

Artifex1

Warlord
I will never be able to deal with it. How bad does it irk you?

Does it ever make you quit?

No. Its like getting an arrow through the neck and then finding a gas bill attached to it.

I don't quite though - although if I was playing Brazil or Darius and was planning my game around Chichen Itza and got beat to it by a turn I might.

lol. never outright quit but this is probably the #1 reason why I re-roll. I just find an auto save about 10 saves prior, then I maximize production in the city, maybe even chop down some trees.

The AI picking Monasteries as a believe when they don't have any Wine or Incense and you have tons of it.

Getting beat to a space race by a sneaky friend with culture by one turn in multiplayer.

No, but it would cause me to use the time machine and cancel the world wonder build before it started.

(King Jon sitting at his throne and has just ordered construction of the Leaning Tower to start. Suddenly a vortex flies opens and a small note flies in before closing.
That's interesting, this note is addressed to me but has my own hand writing. Reading the note, an unknown civ will finish Leaning Tower in 1 AD; which will be when our version is 99.9% compete. King Jon sends another note; cancel that Leaning Tower order and instead build a Temple.)

As to what's worse: Using a GE to build a wonder in a case where the GE provides all the hammers needed but being beat out during the AIs turn.

Yep, made me ragequit a promising game as Korea. Other stuff I can deal with it, but this ruins the game for me.

I think barbs plundering all the hard worked land that is far away from the military is more annoying. There's nothing worst than barbarians or mounted units that are in the outskirts of your borders which have luxury resources that are getting plundered. Mounted/mobile units plundering all the hard worked land is even more annoying when the military is out defending.

Last game, Polynesia - Immortal - Cultural Victory.
Siam, the furthest civ on the map, is the cultural runaway after me. I managed good great works and theming bonus (Uffizi + Louvre).
I delayed Eiffel Tower for many stuffs. I had a great engineer with 1 000 faith. He born in my second biggest city, because I let an inquisitor in my capital and forgot to move it. So, engineer hit the road, avoid Huns Pikeman on the road, a Byzantium missionary, and finally were in my caps 5 turns after his born.
When I select Eiffel Tower, I saw Statue of Liberty (After this game, I think Freedom sucks at all despite SoL). I build SoL, get it and start Eiffel Tower. 12 turns later, Gandhi beat me for one turn. Bye-bye +12 tourism.
I had this feeling about rage quit and finally continue my game. It was my fault after all.

More annoying ? I start to produce great Musicians after National Visitor Center and just when I reach Internet. Despite 710 tourism, I need 45 turns to over-culture Siam. First musician (with guild) : go to Siam ! Second Musician (with faith) : make a great works ! Wait... Nooooooo...
This misclick was really, really annoying. After 280 turns, I decide to push this «next turn» button again and again (boring), waiting for a third musicians who arrive in Siam territory right when I won the game. It was 15 to 20turns of deeply boring time (yeah, I'll sell you this one horse for two gold. yeah I like to exchange open borders with you. yeah, I have marble for you. No I will go declare war to Siam. Yeah, I'm really glad you appreciate my last word congress proposal...)

My missclicks are the most annoying thing in this wonderful game.

Burning a GE and getting beaten to a wonder by one turn.

What about early game when you get beat to multiple ruins by AI scouts??

No the most annoying is when you have been planning your second city and wheen you finnaly has the settler you se an A.L settler near the perfect spot.

Something worst than getting beat to a wonder by 1 turn? yes!
The worst is getting beat to a wonder by 1 turn EVEN WHEN YOU USE A GREAT ENGINNER!!

Try using the Wonder Race mod. It notifies you every so often on who's winning a wonder race.

Top Bottom