Using mod civs

Grumpbeard

Warlord
First of all, an apology if this is a duplicate thread, I did search to see if this was asked elsewhere, but with the expanse of the forums I'm not sure my results were accurate.

Anyway, I'm just getting in to mods now; I'm not using that many, mostly minor fixes (faster airplane animation!) and new Civilizations. So far, no real compatibility issues (I had to not use one I was thinking about because a mod I wanted more didn't play well with it, but no great loss), but I have a couple of questions.

1. I know that any mod civ with a 3d leaderscreen needs to replace another civ, but sometimes people make a mod that says "This civ replaces X civ." even if it doesn't use the 3d leaderscreen. (I think I'm using the right terminology here for the leaderscreen thing? Not sure?) This often seems to be because its the same or similar country at a different time; ie Lenin instead of Catherine, or Churchill instead of Elizabeth. IS there a way to (perhaps if I edit the mod file?) to re-enable those? I mean, I don't personally care if Stalin's USSR goes up against Catherine's Russia. Its all in fun anyway.

2. Somewhat related to the above, if I can get two such civs to play against each other, would the city lists still work? I guess what I'm saying is if two civs had Moscow as part of their civilization, can there be 2 Moscows in the game? Or does that break something?

Thanks in advance.

As for answer #1, that depends on the mod maker. You could possibly make a request to them.
For #2: The same thing happens as what happens when you put multiples of the same civ in. Let's say you have 3 Netherlands in your game. The one who settles first gets Amsterdam, the second gets Rotterdam and the third gets Utrecht. Then, they pick from the city list on a first-come-first-serve basis.

I didn't even realize you could play multiple copies of the same civ! Shows what I know!

Try playing with Sweden for once, with 21 other Sweden's on the map. 220% Great Person Increase, anyone?

Which leads to a new question - what happens when the city list runs out? I know in an older Civ (3? 4?) it just lead to starting over with "New" in front of it...

JFD's Civs are as far as I'm aware the only civs that really replace versions of themselves.

In terms of 3D Leaderscreens - Our Australia, Leugi's Israel and Tomatekh's Mali all have custom ones.

They can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12882890

When the city list runs out, it pulls an Atilla and pick random names presumably from other in-game civs.

Ah, my mistake, it wasn't 3d leaderscreen, it was music. Hypereon's Finnish mod (which I quite liked) replaces Siam.

"NOTE: This mod has custom peace & war leader musics
(Jean Sibelius: Finlandia, played by London Symphony Orchestra).
They can only be done with replacing an existing leader, so when this mod is activated, Siam is not playable because Mannerheim is set to replace Ramkhamhaeng."

I've also played Tomatekh's Goths, Kievan Rus, and Sumer. I'm playing JFD's USSR at the moment. Your Canada and Australia are on the list to be played soon, too! (and probably, eventually, all of them...)

thanks for the help, guys.

If you downloaded the mods from Steam, then there are instructions on how to re-enable Catherine/Elizabeth/Bismark, etc.

But I will depreciate this practice, at any rate. The next update for each of these civs will remove the method of disabling any vanilla leaders.

If you downloaded the mods from Steam, then there are instructions on how to re-enable Catherine/Elizabeth/Bismark, etc.

But I will depreciate this practice, at any rate. The next update for each of these civs will remove the method of disabling any vanilla leaders.

Read the instructions? That's crazy talk! (Seriously, though, thanks. And I'm enjoying your mod and will definitely try others. I tried to make a mod at one point (Koori) and just failed miserably, so I appreciate your hard work!)

Which leads to a new question - what happens when the city list runs out? I know in an older Civ (3? 4?) it just lead to starting over with "New" in front of it...

It takes names from the list of other civs in the game... if you have 22 civs in the game that are the same I think it would either borrow names from any other city list of just found blank cities.

Do you have an ETA on an update? I am really looking forward to trying some of these as I am just starting to use more modded civs and yours look fantastic.

Top Bottom