Why Attila sucks

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
You pop a goody hut and your warrior gets turned into a battering ram.

You basically just lost a unit 20 turns into the game. You're slow and you can't attack ANY OTHER UNIT.

Just tried three times to get a good start with Attila and this happens every time. I loose the good city locations because I can't attack the settlers that everyone else seems to have before me.

Annoying.

Use that battering ram to take the freshly settled city from other civs?

You know that the battering ram can take out a fresh city solo as long as there aren't any warriors nearby?

*flabbergasted*

I always thought Attila is too good. Having two capitals at turn ten kills pop growth because of happiness.

Have your scout accompany the ram to get around the visibility problem and help steer the ram away from barbs and towards targets. If you get into trouble you can use the scout's zone of control to get the ram away. With that scout, use the visibility promotions for maximum effectiveness. You can also use the scout to steal any workers you encounter.

Meanwhile, build one or two more scouts to compensate for being "down" a scout.

Being able to take cities in 1-2 hits, plus being able to tribute CSs very easily is hugely worth it. That gold can translate into huge benefits if spent correctly.

I feel like with the Huns you should be playing domination and never founding a city other than the original anyway. Capture the cities you need.

the reason people hate attila (especially in multiplayer, he's less useful for this reason against the AI due to bonuses at higher difficulties) is specifically because of the thing the OP points out

I feel like with the Huns you should be playing domination and never founding a city other than the original anyway. Capture the cities you need.

This is the basic idea of how to play with the Huns. You do get into problems with your unit cap, science and gold but you really have to take advantage of and spam horse archers and get logistics with your horde and it makes you unstoppable if executed correctly.

If it's not over by turn 100 you're doing it wrong.

As for the rams, they are an odd UU, even though they make sense for the civ. In the game they have 2 movement which slows your advance and their cover promotions don't really make up for their low combat strength, and they usually end up dead. AFAIK they do not keep their +300% vs cities promotion either when upgrading to trebuchet. The time between them and trebuchets is really long and they can't stand any sort of heat after turn 50. Again, the 2 movement of the rams just slows you down. Having brought your HAs to your next target, you are waiting for the ram to arrive... it's a long wait.

So really the best thing to do is avoid rams and use horsemen as your city capture unit. This has the advantage of keeping the capture unit out of range of city bombard (can move after attacking without logistics), as well as ensuring the highest of speeds in getting the enemy defeated. So you will generally avoid the construction or philosophy and go for horseback riding first.

Alternative strategy is to play peaceful. If you have a bunch of pastures your production can look really nice, especially after stables. With god of the open sky pantheon, that's a ton of bonus culture too.

I'd love to have a battering ram as Huns on a turn before turn 10. I killed three city states as soon as I could. Battering Ram is clearly broken at the start of the game. In Multiplayer, I killed a flat land players capital from getting an upgrade while his warrior was exploring. So yeah, it's very broken.

The Huns have the fastest Deity/ Standard Speed/ Size HoF victories for both domination (t69) and science (t193).

If your unit got turned into a battering ram, that's annoying, but also in the long-term excellent, as you saved some turns of production that could be spent making another battering ram for your early war. :D

Attila doesn't suck, though he is kind of a one-shot pony, since the only bonus retained through the modern era is basically the hammer bonus on horses. :(

Top Bottom