Whrn you think you've got a great starting location....but you haven't

So I always play random civ, random map. I like the variety, and the challenge of succeeding in different circumstances. Emperor level.

Last game, I rolled Attilla, and got what seemed like a fantastic start. In my initial six ring I got fish, wheat, marble, sheep, stone and salt. The first time I've ever had a resource in every starting tile. In the ring outside that I had another stone and another salt. Cows on the outer ring. My settler was stood on a coastal grassland hill, surrounded by forests and grassland.

Wow, I'm thinking, this is the best start ever. All I was missing was a river and a mountain.

Then I set to exploring. By the time I'd finished my 2nd scout I'd come to realise that I was all alone on an island big enough for maybe 3 cities, with barely a resource to be found away from my capital. Not so much as a city state for me to conquer. No horses either (not that Attilla needs them for HA's at the start, but no +1 hammers from pasture either).

Now, I could still play turtle and try and win that way, but that's not why I play random civs, especially when my last game was a Babylon archipelaego turtle victory

*waves angry fist at the RNG. He giveth with one hand, and he taketh away with the other*

That's a hilarious start for Attila. It is like torment to roll Attila and have an isolated start. :D

that sounds unbearable and reminiscent of many starts i had on vanilla maps. good capital location, horrendous surrounding land

ahahahaha! :D

Well embarking isn't too far off, sure, you definitely will lose a bit of edge but you should be able to locate a CS or AI near enough to assault by sea in the classical.

I am always surprised to see so many players saying they abandoned vanilla maps so long ago. Are they really that bad? I still use vanilla starts and operate with a no rerolling rule. I've never had a start that was so awful I couldn't win given the AI didn't use the opportunity to wipe me out in an early rush (which has happened a few times). But I really like challenging starts because the game is far too easy with a good start, even on Deity. It's like playing immortal again. ;) If so many top-tier players use custom map scripts I guess that explains why I don't see them get as bad dirt as I regularly do in their videos. I WAS wondering about that haha. I'm ecstatic to get 2 luxes and a couple growth tiles given my past luck. :p

I was under the impression that most top players play strong maps like GP/GPP, lakes, highlands, sandstorm without need for a custom map script.

They also re-roll until they get the start they want.
If you are talking about HOF runs -- yes of course. But in general, I am confident the “top players” are happy to roll with what they get. If one plays only starts that are (for example) coastal hills on a mountain with a river -- then one is spoiled for public game series like GOTM/DCL/CDG.

Well, for competitive time on HoF, you either have to have coastal and/or mountain starts. You also need some luck on getting WLTKD and getting the right CS.

I am tempted when I've finished my current Byzantium game (which it looks like I'm going to lose :( ) to go back to this and see what I can make of it.

I can't decide whether to turtle with my one city and see if I can win a peaceful victory, or go for the maritime techs and see if I can still wipe out a couple of civs and take it from there.

If I'd had this start with Venice.....oh man. Venice is still the easiest victory I've had yet, with this starting location for a 1 city civ I would be on for a PB I reckon.

I`m one of those weird guys who likes a completely random map (except for size) and live with whatever happens.

i`m even quite happy when I get a map which is barren with mostly ice everywhere. I just think, `oh well, let`s see if I can turn these lemons into lemonade?`

I`m no great player either.

I`m one of those weird guys who likes a completely random map (except for size) and live with whatever happens.

i`m even quite happy when I get a map which is barren with mostly ice everywhere. I just think, `oh well, let`s see if I can turn these lemons into lemonade?`

I`m no great player either.

I respect your views, but I prefer a start I am happy with. My view is that a game (for me) takes so long why start with something that is going to drive you mad?

I respect your views, but I prefer a start I am happy with. My view is that a game (for me) takes so long why start with something that is going to drive you mad?

I enjoy the challenge. You like many won`t get it, but I treat it like reality. You can`t choose where you`re born or as whom. You can`t choose where your nation starts and if you happen to be in a terrible position you make the best of it. Early settlers had to deal with bleak moors in Europe in ancient days. I look at it like that.

I enjoy the challenge. You like many won`t get it, but I treat it like reality. You can`t choose where you`re born or as whom. You can`t choose where your nation starts and if you happen to be in a terrible position you make the best of it. Early settlers had to deal with bleak moors in Europe in ancient days. I look at it like that.

Generally speaking I agree with that. But I remember Civ4 especially was particularly good at sticking you on a landmass with none of the resources needed for your UU. I had a Roman game with no Iron for Praetorians, and Byzantine game with no horses for Kataphracts :mad:

Top Bottom