Why are you here?

Just an FYI, this is a place to hang out and have fun and I really enjoy all the activity here. But, I don't want to much off-topic stuff either. Everything that is going on now is fine but if we begin to get to many off topic posts I'll probably have them removed and clean things up a bit.

Don't worry about it for now, but in the future please try to make sure threads you create are to the benifit of people coming here to learn about FfH.

strategyonly said:
WOW, love those new "individual" sounds on units, now that makes it even more fun, whichever team person did that, GREAT job, and keep up the good work!!

Which units?

If you haven't tried out the new Warhammer Fantasy Battles mod then I highly recommend you download and try it out. You can get it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=182258

The WHFB team did a great job on it and it is awesome to see the fantasy genre so well represented in Civ4.

Kael said:
If you haven't tried out the new Warhammer Fantasy Battles mod then I highly recommend you download and try it out. You can get it here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=182258

The WHFB team did a great job on it and it is awesome to see the fantasy genre so well represented in Civ4.

And their will be more on the way!!:p

wow... ive been gone for a week and now you have version 15i out :lol:

In response to the title of the thread:

Because I love this mod! Having a high fantasy mod got me and two friends playing, since we were kinda iffy about vanilla. Heck, this mod even made me make an account on these forums!

Why? WHY? WHYYY? Because.

Because I only play FFH in Civ IV (which is 99% of my spare time, the 1% left is used to shoot rebels playing under Palpatine's legions).

I want to try the Warhammer mod but I always keep playing FFH.

I know you guys have already been told this several (hundreds) times, but...

YOU'VE DONE A SUPERB MOD

I'm still a CivIV player (but not vanilla) because of you.

I have loved the civilization series for the majority of my life, and I think this mod in particular is amazing. However, I can't help but get frustrated with both Civ IV vanilla and to variable degrees it's modifications because of what I feel is underdeveloped AI. I am here to talk about it, and I chose this forum because I think Fall from Heaven II is brilliant in both concept and implementation and suffers only from this basic weakness of CIV IV.

If anyone can help, I have to believe it is Kael, et al.

That being said, I get frustrated most specifically because I feel that the advantages given to the AI at higher difficulty levels to make the game challenging is an inadequate substitution from a truly skilled AI. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to design a competent, non-cheating AI in a game as complex as CIV IV. However, I have seen at least one game (Galactic Civilizations) that seemed to succeed quite admirably in this regard. To a certain degree this has always been a problem of the civilization series, but it seems even worse to me in CIV IV.

The ultimate problem is that playing against this sort of unintelligent AI is simply not much fun. I wonder if the single player AI was regarded as less important in this most recent installment with it's emphasis on multiplayer play. Unfortunately for me, while the addition of online play certainly presents an opportunity to play against truly skilled opponents I nevertheless simply do not have the time to sit down and play a long game with a human opponent. Thus, I am stuck either playing a largely unsatisfying game with a "cheating" AI or not playing at all. I don't like either of those options...

Please understand that I mean no one any disrespect by my comments. I am not a programmer and I very much admire the work of everyone involved in CIV IV and its modifications, especially Fall from Heaven II. I am just curious if anyone else feels strongly about this and if anything can be done to fix the situation.

My dream is to one day get my ass kicked by an AI that had no unfair advantages. Is there any hope for me?!!!

Peace,
Dr. Epictetus

I have loved the civilization series for the majority of my life, and I think this mod in particular is amazing. However, I can't help but get frustrated with both Civ IV vanilla and to variable degrees it's modifications because of what I feel is underdeveloped AI. I am here to talk about it, and I chose this forum because I think Fall from Heaven II is brilliant in both concept and implementation and suffers only from this basic weakness of CIV IV.

If anyone can help, I have to believe it is Kael, et al.

That being said, I get frustrated most specifically because I feel that the advantages given to the AI at higher difficulty levels to make the game challenging is an inadequate substitution from a truly skilled AI. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to design a competent, non-cheating AI in a game as complex as CIV IV. However, I have seen at least one game (Galactic Civilizations) that seemed to succeed quite admirably in this regard. To a certain degree this has always been a problem of the civilization series, but it seems even worse to me in CIV IV.

The ultimate problem is that playing against this sort of unintelligent AI is simply not much fun. I wonder if the single player AI was regarded as less important in this most recent installment with it's emphasis on multiplayer play. Unfortunately for me, while the addition of online play certainly presents an opportunity to play against truly skilled opponents I nevertheless simply do not have the time to sit down and play a long game with a human opponent. Thus, I am stuck either playing a largely unsatisfying game with a "cheating" AI or not playing at all. I don't like either of those options...

Please understand that I mean no one any disrespect by my comments. I am not a programmer and I very much admire the work of everyone involved in CIV IV and its modifications, especially Fall from Heaven II. I am just curious if anyone else feels strongly about this and if anything can be done to fix the situation.

My dream is to one day get my ass kicked by an AI that had no unfair advantages. Is there any hope for me?!!!

Peace,
Dr. Epictetus

You input is definitly appreciated and you are correct in all counts. Civ4 has an additional AI handicap that most games don't have to deal with, the AI has to be independant of the specifics.

The reason for this is that Civ4 was designed from the ground up to be moddable. Because of that the AI uses various weighting algorithyms to decide what to do (for example when it should be investing its time attacking or turtling up for defence). Those algorithyms are independant of the actual units, after all they cant assume that the vanilla units are in use.

Most can can code to their specific units and therefor program the AI to act as a human would (a human learns the uses of each unit and tries to use each in the most benifical means allowed). A human player can start playing FfH2 and learn to use all the new units, but Firaxis of course couldn't code to those units. So we trade better specific AI for the amazing ability to be able to drop in a new unit and have the AI make decent (but not amazing) use of it.

Outside of that we do need some new AI functions for the FfH2 stuff. I have been surprised with how well we are able to get it to do some stuff, but their is definilty room for improvement.

Okay I finally got round to seeing what all the fuss was about and started a game on this mod. I am extremely impressed! You've managed the highly unlikely task of capturing a true fantasy spirit, the kind of thing that can only be managed by people who truly love the genre.

I'm still in the exploration phase (the joy of marathon speed) and, what with the giant spiders lurking in dark forests eating my scouts, intrepid adventurers (I'm the grigori) going on goblin-slaying expeditions and strange haunted monuments from which skeletons periodically emerge to harass my countryside, it really does feel like civ has been fused with Baldur's Gate - it's a world of isolated pockets of civilization trying to stand firm in a mysterious and dangerous wilderness.

I'm truly inspired by how much work has gone into this. Maybe some day I'll be able to make a contribution myself.

Okay I finally got round to seeing what all the fuss was about and started a game on this mod. I am extremely impressed! You've managed the highly unlikely task of capturing a true fantasy spirit, the kind of thing that can only be managed by people who truly love the genre.

I'm still in the exploration phase (the joy of marathon speed) and, what with the giant spiders lurking in dark forests eating my scouts, intrepid adventurers (I'm the grigori) going on goblin-slaying expeditions and strange haunted monuments from which skeletons periodically emerge to harass my countryside, it really does feel like civ has been fused with Baldur's Gate - it's a world of isolated pockets of civilization trying to stand firm in a mysterious and dangerous wilderness.

I'm truly inspired by how much work has gone into this. Maybe some day I'll be able to make a contribution myself.

i am happy you re enjoying the Mod, all i can say using Kaels words is,... we try to create a game we really want to play...
and using my words: it will be worth to stay with us and check every new version that is released for all the new details which make this mod so deep and lovely! ;)

Top Bottom