Caveman 2 Cosmos

Hi folks, I just downloaded v14, thanks for a new version I can't wait to play it (LOVE the embassies concept, once I'd read up about it on the other thread and was a little less confused as to what it was going to do to the game! I think it's going to make each playthrough unique and ensure that I have unique cities in any given playthrough - a great thing!) - I am however plagued with the "black terrain" issue and haven't yet been able to successfully start a game!

EDIT: I have tried editing the file as suggested in post #2 but I am confused as to where to move that particular block of text in the file suggested (which it took me 20 minutes to locate), now when I load up the mod it gives me an error message about only allowing one top level command per XML file - when giving instructions please try to remember that some of us aren't modders or programmers we just like to play the game and I am sorry to say that I need to be told exactly where to move that block to get the thing to work properly (or if someone could post up their working version of the file so I could download it that would be even better), because "to the top of the area" just isn't enough instruction for me - and I'm not a computer dimwit, I've just never messed about with this game before.

I don't mean to be pushy but is there anything else I should provide so that I could get some assistance with my CTD problem or is it being worked on already?

I don't mean to be pushy but is there anything else I should provide so that I could get some assistance with my CTD problem or is it being worked on already?

It is a problem in the Python, I am the Python "expert" and I am 1,100km from my computer. I am not likely to be back for another two weeks. Hazarding a guess, what is happening is that one of the units near a barbarian city that is being converted into a nation can't be converted into a "player" unit. However I don't know why that is so. A save before the crash would be useful if I was not so far away.

It is a problem in the Python, I am the Python "expert" and I am 1,100km from my computer. I am not likely to be back for another two weeks. Hazarding a guess, what is happening is that one of the units near a barbarian city that is being converted into a nation can't be converted into a "player" unit. However I don't know why that is so. A save before the crash would be useful if I was not so far away.

Thank you very much. I went into world builder and deleted two polar bears near Nubian and it either corrected the problem or simply avoided it. On the one hand the game didn't explode between turns as it had every other attempt to move on from that point, however, at the same time, erasing those units seemed to halt Nubian from turning into a full civilization as well that it had done in the save file previously. Everything else in the vicinity of the city were units the game has had no trouble converting before; slingers, stone throwers, stone axes, and Neanderthals.

The save file, if you are interested, is in my first post roughly four pages back, but I, for one, am just content to move forward in time. Thanks again.

Edit: In a bit of weirdness, I misread the first error report and it was Numidian, not Nubian that was mentioned, which has absolutely nothing out of the ordinary by it. However, clearing the two bears out of Nubian still worked. Must have changed some variable in the random number generator when calculating barbarian settings (though this seems unlikely to me as I cleared one of the in game continents of Barbarians once as I thought it might be and issue with the number of units in play), or perhaps Nubian was just next on the list. In any case, I won't argue with the result.

Early on in my first v14 game, I've discovered that the AI apparently has some difficulty with the concept of "defend your city".

(Edit: This is on monarch difficulty, huge map, 12 original Civs, eternity game speed.)

9718 BC: I'm in a game with the Arabians as my closest civilization. I have a Wanderer....well, wandering...near his capital city when I see a big stack of Clubmen (they proceeded to vaporize a Panda Bear I'd just subdued.) While evading that stack, my Wanderer steps adjacent to Mecca itself. On that turn a Stone Thrower was in the city while a Gatherer was adjacent to the city but not next to my Wanderer. (The Clubman stack was 3 tiles to the north.)

Next turn, guess what happens? The Stone Thrower leaves the city while the Gatherer moves in, presumably to hide from me. In a now undefended city. Doh! My Wanderer walks in, and poof, I own a second capital. So much for the stack of Clubmen.

Thou conquerest, O mighty Wanderer!

Is it possible to subdue crocodiles? Is there a unit or some method that makes it more likely to occur? I've slaughtered dozens of them without ever subduing a single one.

Re: the black terrain issue - I realised I had missed a graphics driver update (I'm usually more on the ball with these things) and now I've updated my Catalyst driver to v11.6 I've managed to load the mod twice in succession without any black terrain. Previously I managed to get 1 playable game in about 50 or so attempts, so this is a good sign - although only succeeding twice isn't a sign of a sure fix, so I'll report back in a bit to let you know whether it's occurred again.

So if that has done the trick I feel like a bit of a wally because I should have kept on top of the driver issue, totally my own fault. Right, now I can't wait to get started, so back to my game....

Is anyone else having the problem with Great Generals not earning experience?

Is it possible to subdue crocodiles? Is there a unit or some method that makes it more likely to occur? I've slaughtered dozens of them without ever subduing a single one.

Yes it is possible to subdue animals it is just very unlikely. It was happening too often so I dropped the probability in v12. I haven't captured one since.

Yes it is possible to subdue animals it is just very unlikely. It was happening too often so I dropped the probability in v12. I haven't captured one since.

Land animals can be subdued without question. I often have more subdued land animals than I can spend until I get carnivals. I still have yet to subdue a single crocodile though.

Take a screenie of your settings and place it here.

Which settings? This game has lots and lots of settings. Here are the basic settings.

Attachments

• Settings 1.jpg
    Settings 1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Settings 2.jpg
    Settings 2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi, I just found this mod this morning and I died with excitement. I noticed that it used my favorite mod as a base and that it was still receiving updates. So I installed it and started a normal game (not even using custom game, just Play Now!.) Everything went well except for the HUGE amount of neanderthals everywhere. In my one cities sight range I could see a minimum of 20 - 30 neaderthals. It hindered me from making any new cities and since this was my first game I had no idea they would attack around 20 BC and was completely unprepared when they destroyed everything.

I was playing on Epic speed (Which I see must have something to do with it by my reading.), a large Terra map, and Chieftain difficulty. I would have played with no Barbarians but that would also take away the animals. Maybe there should be a no Neanderthals option? Or should I just play on Normal or marathon?

EDIT: New problem, I can't even load the mod now. I'll go to Advanced, load a mod, C2C, and then It'll go to desktop, bring up the loading screen, and once it gets to init XML, it stops responding. Any ideas?

Land animals can be subdued without question. I often have more subdued land animals than I can spend until I get carnivals. I still have yet to subdue a single crocodile though.

Yeah they are one of the hardest ones to subdue, but isn't really like normal life?:p

Which settings? This game has lots and lots of settings. Here are the basic settings.

OK thx, i dont know why then its not work, sorry.:blush:

Hi, I just found this mod this morning and I died with excitement. I noticed that it used my favorite mod as a base and that it was still receiving updates. So I installed it and started a normal game (not even using custom game, just Play Now!.) Everything went well except for the HUGE amount of neanderthals everywhere. In my one cities sight range I could see a minimum of 20 - 30 neaderthals. It hindered me from making any new cities and since this was my first game I had no idea they would attack around 20 BC and was completely unprepared when they destroyed everything.

I was playing on Epic speed (Which I see must have something to do with it by my reading.), a large Terra map, and Chieftain difficulty. I would have played with no Barbarians but that would also take away the animals. Maybe there should be a no Neanderthals option? Or should I just play on Normal or marathon?

EDIT: New problem, I can't even load the mod now. I'll go to Advanced, load a mod, C2C, and then It'll go to desktop, bring up the loading screen, and once it gets to init XML, it stops responding. Any ideas?

You do KNOW that on Epic Speed you will get the MOST Neanderthals of all? The higher (or slower) the level its less.

Did you change anything at all, add anything to it after you played or during your game playing?

btw Welcome to CFC.

Hm, also having the black terrain issue with v14.
In v13 I already solved it - I thought - by "run as administrator" + removing all other Mods from BTS folder + switching to "low resolution" in graphics options (and changing several times, than it worked suddently). Apparently not, I reinstalled the old version - stopped working again, too, even with the same settings.

It seems, that at sometime when Civ has to reinitialize the textures (because of changes in Mod folder etc) the initialization may fail ...

BTW not only terrain is missing, also Leaders don't show up completely - funny, of Gandi you just see his moving classes before the taj mahal, a ghost greating you.

I think I tried all ideas mentioned in this forum, still no luck (The old ones, SHIFT, the text file). I spent too many hours already, cannot do this every evening next to work :(. Any help appreciated!

This mod is just great I I wonna play it ;)!! Thanks a lot for your work

Ah, just forgot to mention: Windows 7, Gainward HD 4870, 4GB RAM

Well updating my AMD drivers to Catalyst v11.6 definitely fixed the black terrain issue for me, I haven't had a problem since. Presumably there was some optimisation tweak in there that for whatever reason solved the problem - it was only occurring for me in C2C v14. Yours is an older graphics card though (I have the 5850) so I can't guarantee that it will work for you.

Ah, just forgot to mention: Windows 7, Gainward HD 4870, 4GB RAM

Did i forget something:confused:

Hm, also having the black terrain issue with v14.
In v13 I already solved it - I thought - by "run as administrator" + removing all other Mods from BTS folder + switching to "low resolution" in graphics options (and changing several times, than it worked suddently). Apparently not, I reinstalled the old version - stopped working again, too, even with the same settings.

It seems, that at sometime when Civ has to reinitialize the textures (because of changes in Mod folder etc) the initialization may fail ...

BTW not only terrain is missing, also Leaders don't show up completely - funny, of Gandi you just see his moving classes before the taj mahal, a ghost greating you.

I think I tried all ideas mentioned in this forum, still no luck (The old ones, SHIFT, the text file). I spent too many hours already, cannot do this every evening next to work :(. Any help appreciated!

This mod is just great I I wonna play it ;)!! Thanks a lot for your work

OK try this then, COMPLETELY removed the Custom_Civilizations folder from the modules area, and let me know if that helps, thx.:crazyeye:

I am starting to think there is something wrong with the original MLF loading system

Top Bottom