Caveman 2 Cosmos

Estimates are that we could easily support everyone at a lifestyle similar to what we have but with a lot less waste. Th comment used was something like everyone on the planet could live on a quarter acre block per family with a three bedroom house, electricity, et al and inside the area of Texas (the second biggest state in the USA). I think Texas is a bit bigger than Tasmania the smallest state in Australia.

That would be estimates made by stupid people who can't do math repeated by people who are too foolish to even try to do the math to see if it is true.

Surface area of Texas = about 171,079,000 acres.
Population of the Earth = about 7.2 billion.
Surface Area per Person = just about 0.0238 acres, which is about 96.2 square meters, and which is a lot less than the area suggested unless your family consists of an average of 10.5 people sharing those 3 bedrooms, which seems excessive - somebody's probably going to be sleeping on the couch.

Each person gets a plot of land that measures 10 meters by 9.616 meters. Almost half of the people's 10 by a bit under 10 meters are located in the desert, since just about half of Texas is desert. Good luck with that. I live in Texas, in a non-desert part. It gets pretty miserable in the summer where I am, and more so if you are near the Gulf coast where it is often both excessively hot and excessively humid. That can be worse than the deserty parts.

Oh, and they mostly die in a matter of days. That is because you have not allocated any space for roads, or grocery stores, or sewage plants (vast quantities of sewage), or electrical power plants and substations (for which you'd need to build a lot of nuclear power plants as nothing else could reasonably cope, but they could be outside of Texas - perhaps just over on the other side of the Rio Grande in the now uninhabited Mexico, since many parts of that region just south of the river are not well suited for growing food), or anything else that would be necessary to support all those people. There is also nowhere near enough water in the area for all of them. For combined consumption and hygiene purposes you want at least 20 liters per day per person. That represents the equivalent of about 10% of the average flow of the Mississippi river down near New Orleans that would need to be diverted, treated, and delivered. And it does not include anything for doing laundry or washing anything but your body and that only to a basic degree (not a bath or shower, just a damp cloth). So you'd probably want at least 25% of the Mississippi so you can maybe flush the toilet more than once per day, do a little laundry, and take a 3 or, luxury of luxuries, 4 minute shower from time to time (a low flow, but not completely stingy, shower head is about 8 or 9 liters per minute in flow rate).

stuff (paraphrase)
You start off rude, and then go silly. 100 sq. metres is plenty of room, likely more than some countries. The house could have five or 10 bedrooms (after all it can be multi-storey;)).

Anyhow no-one is suggesting that we all live in Texas. It just an illustration of how exaggerated (yes and stupid actually) all the "catastrophic population explosion" hype is.

Make sure to let dangerous hunting override "my take on promotions" as I nerfed hunters to make hunting dangerous while Rwn buffed both hunters and animals so animals would be dangerous to normal units and hunters.

Unknown... My take on civic increases difficulty and makes all game-speeds somewhat longer (especially because you won't be able to settle new cities as fast as usual), so choose one level lower for each of them than you use to do.

@ Sunrisereader,
While many modders and players say Snail is balanced, my experience says that it's actually more to the Marathon/Epic game speeds that have the "better" overall balance.

@ Toffer,
Why would you want longer game speeds? As your "reason" is already actually there compared to just even v35, much less v34 or any preceding versions. And if you make the gamespeeds longer you will find that you have actually allowed settling more new cites. Just sayin'.

JosEPh

Why would you want longer game speeds? As your "reason" is already actually there compared to just even v35, much less v34 or any preceding versions. And if you make the gamespeeds longer you will find that you have actually allowed settling more new cites. Just sayin'.
I don't want them to be longer; but atm my modmod makes them longer, think of it as a temporary side-effect that will be tweaked away later. Having 2 cities at a tech stage where you usually have 5 will in effect make game speeds longer.

It's still a work in progress after all.

I don't want them to be longer; but atm my modmod makes them longer, think of it as a temporary side-effect that will be tweaked away later. Having 2 cities at a tech stage where you usually have 5 will in effect make game speeds longer.

It's still a work in progress after all.

A matter more of "perspective" then. :hmm:

JosEPh

is it intended that the first fort(palisades) does not provide access to the resource it is build on, but the later one unlocked at matamatics do?

Whatever/whoever/wherever gives that Morale promotion for missionaries, no matter where I build them, thank you so very much! :goodjob:

Edit: I can finally build The Forgotten Palace sans world builder! Now only to place it so the game stops suggesting I finally effing build it every time a town needs to fill its queue. Thanks much whoever fixed the bug about free buildings not counting towards wonder counts! :goodjob:

Cheers!
-Liq

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has encountered some sort of "bug" where you crash to desktop, but you receive no error message. I have this problem and is there a fix? It always happens on a certain turn right. So i can not advance. Thanks!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has encountered some sort of "bug" where you crash to desktop, but you receive no error message. I have this problem and is there a fix? It always happens on a certain turn right. So i can not advance. Thanks!

Happens from time to time. More so on the beta (SVN) version. Post a save from before it happens in the correct bug thread. Read the first post of the bug thread to see what you need to do provide to help us find and fix the problem.

I must say that once I scrolled down on the bug->C2C Menu to find what appears to be every single possible worker action in the game, even the ones that you could never use on a mundane worker/workboat (I do not want to know what damage an automated great farmer could wreak! :eek:), I was impressed.

Other than finding a billion factories taking up my former farm space when I finally let them loose (forgot workshops upgraded), the automated worker gangs are doing a really great job keeping things as I would want them.

Super super impressive; bye bye worker micro!

Cheers!
-Liquidated

There is a option to have workers ignore all places where there already improvements in the default options menu. If i can get the automated workers to stop making forts i never have to give a worker a order again.

I prefer just to automate my workers to build trade networks (but not improvements), so they swarm all over my land building the latest roads in every tile and then return home, which I think is an excellent compromise.

For a long time I have disliked what is done with the Bead (also Toy, Lacquerware, and Pottery) line of buildings. I think they contribute to the too much gold problem and just seem badly implemented to me. One problem is the fact that you can build every "upgrade" in every city whereas with this sort of building one of the more advanced buildings would supply many cities. I think we can go a ways to fixing the problem by simply using a BtS standard fix.

1. None of the buildings go obsolete.
2. The later buildings require 2 or 3 or the earlier buildings before they can be built.
3. maybe reduce slightly the output of the later buildings. They would not need to supply the bonus any more for starters.

Wow... I am really not having a problem with TOO much gold in my test run! I'm struggling to keep enough tbh!

What level do you play on?

I am running a test game on my LEM scenario (looking for map errors) and at the start of the Industrial era, I get 34K per turn with 1.5 million in the bank on Noble, Marathon speed. Next I will try Prince, Snail after some map updates. :)

Wow... I am really not having a problem with TOO much gold in my test run! I'm struggling to keep enough tbh!

So am I in my Test game on Emperor and Normal game speed even with Rwn's Dangerous Animals contributions. Careful balancing to keep a few K in the treasury cause upgrading units Is Expensive along with keeping research slider around 70%. I actually find myself looking down the Tech tree for techs that allow new or updated versions of gold producing buildings. And Civic choices that cut maint. costs, even if they are earlier civics that have other malus than gold.

Isn't this what is wanted though?

Edit: @Harrier,
Still in late classical, with Med Era on the horizon.

JosEPh ;)

The main point with those buildings is that they should represent the reality that you would not have one in every city. Personally I would prefer that they had implemented it that you could always build 1 but need 3 (or more) of the lower to build each higher.

For a long time I have disliked what is done with the Bead (also Toy, Lacquerware, and Pottery) line of buildings. I think they contribute to the too much gold problem and just seem badly implemented to me. One problem is the fact that you can build every "upgrade" in every city whereas with this sort of building one of the more advanced buildings would supply many cities. I think we can go a ways to fixing the problem by simply using a BtS standard fix.

1. None of the buildings go obsolete.
2. The later buildings require 2 or 3 or the earlier buildings before they can be built.
3. maybe reduce slightly the output of the later buildings. They would not need to supply the bonus any more for starters.
All of this makes sense, I vote yay. There are many ways to balance income, and these buildings are, atm, far from the right path towards balance in that respect.

If we did it that way, we could cut out most of the manufactured resources entirely. You don't need them to trade, as everyone has loads, the AI tries to spam you with them when trading (offering Gold Wares for Elephant?) and if you can make limits by buildings anywhere in your empire, that's much more sensible than all those resources which apparently exist only to prop up the building chains.

Top Bottom