Game of the Year

Man I keep thinking mass effect and assasin's creed are 2008 cus I play em on windows and that's when the windows releases were :lol: but you guys are right, 2007 games. Wow this gets tough. Unfortunately I played ME2 before I played mass effect. I bought ME2 in like 2010, a little after it's released, loved it and picked up the first one for like $10 when I was still buying games on disc. And... well... I couldn't get into it. The combat was massively improved in ME2, at least for pc. Controls and cover system were pretty shoddy in the first one. And I really disliked having to piece together gear and the leveling system seemed too complicated for the type of game it was. So in the end I never finished it cus I just preferred to keep going back to the sequel.

There's a couple others I haven't played but feel should be mentioned. Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Phantom Hourglass. Not sure how big the latter was, but any zelda game is usually pretty good. And even though I never played galaxy I have heard from many it's the best mario game ever. It has a 97 aggregate on metacritic, the highest for any mario game I can find. For comparison new super mario bros for wii has an 87, Mario 64 is 94, mario sunshine is 92.

Bioshocks another I didn't have time for sadly and fps isn't really my thing. I did enjoy assassin's creed but again it lacks the polish of the sequels.

Uncharted also released that year. Another series I have never played but has tempted me to buy a playstation so many times.

Civ4 BTS was easily my favorite game from 2007 but I already voted for Civ4 so not going to recast that vote for an expansion.

Thus I'm going mass effect. Even though I didn't personally find it appealing enough, the story is great and the franchise is fantastic and I have actually played it!

Here's a decent article highlighting some games from 2007.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-2007-was-the-best-year-in-gaming/1100-6424367/

AC II and Brotherhood were my favourite AC games, but I still played a lot of the first game. Of course, there's also Beyond the Sword for Civ IV, but does anyone actually play the game unmodded these days?

I'm going to be a radical and vote for CnC3: Tiberium Wars

Oh, that's an interesting choice.
Would vote for it myself if Mas Effect was really a 2008 game (which it was for me #PCMasterRace).

A strong year for sure, many I didn't play though. I'm going for S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl. Super memorable game for me.

In terms of hours of enjoyment it should probably be EU3 though, but in my eyes just the pure attraction the game as a concept wasn't as strong as the other more "focused" grand strategies like CK, vicky and to some extent HoI. EU3 to me was the all-rounder that almost defined what grand strategy should be, but lacked the gimmicks and systems like character mechanics or industry and politics to play around with that will make me pick up a game again and again.

Only 100 hours? :p

Heh. Fair enough. :)

2007 is a tough year. I think a special mention should go to the orange box. Which in my opinion is the best box set the gaming industry has ever seen. You got all of half life 2 including the two episodes. You got portal, which was a great and innovative game. And you got team fortress 2, arguably one of the best online shooters ever. But, it's not really a game in itself, so I'll vote for something else.

For me it is a straight choice between mass effect and bio shock. I did also enjoy portal. But I think I'm going to vote for bio shock. It had one of the oppressive atmospheres I've ever played through. Mass effect had a great story line and the best speech I've ever heard in a game.

This is definitely up there as one of the best years in gaming

In 2007 i began to lose interest in videogames. Only simulators and some very specific games keep my eyes glued to the screen. So i will say Silent Hunter 4. I really didnt play that much to anything else from that year AFAIK.

Well, honorable mentions go to Europa Universalis III and Crysis, played them and even finished the second one but dont remember it as something memorable.

EDIT: wow! I forgot Flight Simulator X. Would change my 2006 vote to it if still possible. Honorable mention for M2TW of course. :trophy2nd:

Holy crap, yes. The Orange Box gets my vote. Team Fortress 2 AND Portal in one package.

If I have to choose one, Team Fortress 2. Both games are classics.

Definitely going to have to vote EU3. Although I was quite late to the party (2007), it quickly became my most-played game after I started playing it. Burgundy, Manchu, Mantua, multi-player on CFC, the Golden Horde... some great games in EU3. Which makes it all the more impressive that I haven't gone back to it after EU4 came out.

Though there were some other good games that year, too. Rock Band is a lot of fun, and I'll admit that I played my share of COD4 (though on a laptop rather than 360). I also played a good amount of Halo 3, but overall felt that 2 was the high point of that series. And BTS was of course a fantastic expansion.

I also tried the Crysis demo, of course, because the question had to be answered - can my laptop run Crysis? The answer: Yes, at about 20-25 FPS on Low. Which was actually fairly good for a laptop for 2007. Though not good enough that I wound up buying it until many years later... and I still haven't got around to playing the full game.

Well, there were the Free Time and Apartment Life expansions for The Sims 2, both of which I enjoyed, X3: Terran Conflict and Reunion came out, as well as The Witcher, Fable II and Fallout 3. I'm not even a big fan of the Fallout series, but I did spend a lot of time playing Fallout 3, so that's my choice for 2008.

Naturally, I'll vote for the little-known game called Civilization: Rev- wait, nope, sorry, I meant Fallout 3.

I keep thinking I need to get into Fallout, but never did. If I had, it would probably have my vote.

That said, having brainfarted my way into forgetting to vote for Gen IV back when Diamond and Pearl were up (2006), I'm going to fix that here and now by voting for the (superior, anyway) third version. Those three games revived a franchise that had been very badly hurt by the preceding few years, and for that deserve a vote in this (even if other games are more deserving of the actual win)

My 2008 vote goes to Pokémon Platinum.

2007: Portal
2008: Saints Row 2. Nothing else really stands out among games I played from that year.

Top Bottom