List of Useful & Free Software Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I should add a few of my own:
[br][br]
(forgive any mistakes, this is my first post to an online forum)
[br][br]
ImageWalker
- The best thumbnail vewier I have been able to find.
[br]
The Rename
- A really useful tool for batch re-nameing image files.
[br]
ShellExtension
- A Handy program that adds the option to "convert" or "print" your image files with a right click in windows explorer.
[br]
XnView[/URL]
- A thumbnail viewer, but I use it soely for Batch converting image files.
[br]
[URL="http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html"]The Font Thing

- A useful utility that makes browsing your installed fonts a little easier.

[br][br]
not prgrams, but cool and free all the same........

1001 free fonts
[br]
[br]
Icon Factory
[br]
[br]
Joshus Hund - digital art
- this material is copyrighted I am sure (if I could read norwegian, or what ever language it is in), but it is free to use for your own personal desktops (I think).

Some already mentioned like:
Trillian
Mozilla (Firefox & Thunderbird)
7-zip
GIMP 2 or Picasa
Winamp
Foxit reader

Some not mentioned I use.
Cute PDF Writer to write documents in PDF
WinDirStat to check size of all folders in disk

I always use Softpedia to find the software I need.

AceHTML
Notepad++
Web hosts
Freehostia.com
Angelfire.com
freedomain.co.nr gives .co.nr domains for free.
Java SDK
Nvu (Like Frontpage or Dreamweaver)

AceHTML
Notepad++
Web hosts
Freehostia.com
Angelfire.com
freedomain.co.nr gives .co.nr domains for free.
Java SDK
Nvu (Like Frontpage or Dreamweaver)

AceHTML is very good, and it's free.

I'm adding one of my own:

FsScreen, it's a screenshot capture program, very easy to use too.

Updated the list with a bunch of links. Thanks everyone! :goodjob:

I haven't added lots of links mentioned... There are just SO MANY of them. :eek:

PS: When suggesting new programs to add to the list, please try to include the link whenever possible, so I don't need to Google it to get the link myself.

The IRC Client Chatzilla, which is an extension for Firefox. I've found it to be easy to use and problem free. It matches your theme and puts each channel into it's own tab.
And

ChatzillaFR en francais.

Ay, I reformatted my comp a couple months ago (Durin January) and Now im back, thank god this thread is still here ;)
PS: ITS MY BDAY TODAY!!!!!!!! WISH ME LUCK!

EDIT : Ooo yea, Another good program, SKETCHUP! @ sketchup.com

I would appreciate it if a brief description of the programs was posted. If I have no idea what kind of program it is, I will not look it up, it is too many programs out there to look up.

:)

I use lots of free software - my computer would be useless without them!
NetBeans - A powerful Java IDE which includes auto-complete and profiling
JCreator - a more light weight Java IDE, the 'lite' version, but still very useful
Google SketchUp Free - easy to use and powerful 3D sketching, model 3D buildings/etc for Google Earth or the Warehouse (also includes lots of free textures/models in some packs)
Super C - convert between many video / audio file formats (excellent)

can't remember if you already have these:
Google Desktop - Google tools and 'gadgets' built into a sidebar, indexes your computer and allows Google searches of your PC/Mac
Cobian Backup - a free, yet powerful backup tool - easy to use and includes encryption
Art of Illusion - a 3D modelling program, which is actually very powerful, although slightly harder to use than comercial software

forgot to add my latest addition to my free software library:
ChemSketch - excellent and invaluable to the chemistry student, a very advanced application that lets you draw molecules, equations, and save them to images, 3D molecule files, etc. Small molecules can also be named in the free version. BTW, be patient with the download process. You need to register first, and that takes 15min to process, and the download takes another 15min to process - but it does work.

On this tip, visit CNET's download page (already focused on freeware).
Most everything is reviewed by the editors and downloaders, and this is probably the most complete English site for polished releases of utility software on the net.

http://www.download.com/3150-20_4-0-1-2.html?licenseTypeId=49&tag=browsedl_freeware

Sourceforge is fantastic place to start looking when you are in need of free software. Click on "Projects" then "Software Map" to view all the categories or use the search function to find what you need.

Got to break them in slowly B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom