[FULL] Putmalk's Ancient World Discussion Thread

Í'm really excited about this mod! Sounds really good. When I have time I'll install it and give it a try. Especially the fact you have your own scenarios sounds great!

I've been looking for a list of scenarios, outof curiousity but also because I have some ideas for scenarios.

Not sure if something simmiliar is already in or planned, but how about a Peloponnesian war?

You could play as either Sparta, Athens or Persia. In all cases your goal is to control all of Greece.
Sparta should have a millitary advantage (recieve double experience for example), Athens should have a naval advantage (naval units may move after firing, pillaging doesn't cost movement points for naval units), Persia I'm not so sure about. Their true UA would actually do well.

The map would have all of greece, italy, but only a small part of current day turkey. This means Persia only has part of their empire on the map and they recieve some reinforcements on a regular basis (either units or gold).

Persia would start with the few cities it has on the map, these will however be fairly low on population and Greece will be largely unexplored for Persia.

Athens and Sparta will start with only their capital. All other Greek cities of any meaning are represented as CS. However, by allying them they become puppet cities of yours and you gain control over their armies. Still, the tribute bar remains and once they are no longer your ally they will go back to being CS and you lose control over the units again. You can also gain control of a CS by conquering them, in which case they also become puppets and you get their remaining army. All players will start with a few CS on friendly.

Since all spots of any use in Greece will be taken by CS, the only places left to settle will be colonies, either near Persia, in Italy or on the islands.

The game will revolve alot around allying CS, either by money or by conquest. This is the easiest way to grow your empire and millitary, although settling colonies will help you too. You can win either by taking all the greek cities, one way or the other, or taking out the other two capitals. This will not be easy since they will have a large millitary, since they are also allying and/or conquering CS to increase their power and army.

Alternatively, Persia could not be a player but a special CS, having several cities, and costing more gold to ally. But once allied it will send invasions to your enemy on a regular basis.

I think such a scenario could easily be made with both a realistic map and a random inland sea map (Athens should obviously have ocean bias).

Any good?

First of all, flipping love it.

Peloponnesian War is something I've always wanted to make. It was planned, but then I dropped the whole scenario thing around Version 5/6 and I wanted to focus more on getting random maps playable (Ancient World was originally designed as a Mesopotamia scenario but I wanted to broaden the audience). I have a Greece map (playable in the new Variety Pack, but I think I'd want to create an original map for the Peloponnesian War.

My time is limited however. I know semester ended for me and I have tons of free time, but that time is going to be spent on making Version 7 (which is gonna be big!) and retooling the mod structure to allow me to host on civfanatics without outsourcing (other upload sites hate my mod for some reason). The mod is getting really big with art assets and stuffs. I have to spend my time on that more than I can spend making scenarios. Plus real life stuffs.

Tell you what. If you, or anyone, designs a greece map for me based off of your specs I'll create the accompanying scenario. I don't know LUA, however, so it'd be pretty simple conditions, just like in Mesopotamia.

Thanks for your interest! I hope you enjoy the mod.

First of all, flipping love it.

Peloponnesian War is something I've always wanted to make. It was planned, but then I dropped the whole scenario thing around Version 5/6 and I wanted to focus more on getting random maps playable (Ancient World was originally designed as a Mesopotamia scenario but I wanted to broaden the audience). I have a Greece map (playable in the new Variety Pack, but I think I'd want to create an original map for the Peloponnesian War.

My time is limited however. I know semester ended for me and I have tons of free time, but that time is going to be spent on making Version 7 (which is gonna be big!) and retooling the mod structure to allow me to host on civfanatics without outsourcing (other upload sites hate my mod for some reason). The mod is getting really big with art assets and stuffs. I have to spend my time on that more than I can spend making scenarios. Plus real life stuffs.

Tell you what. If you, or anyone, designs a greece map for me based off of your specs I'll create the accompanying scenario. I don't know LUA, however, so it'd be pretty simple conditions, just like in Mesopotamia.

Thanks for your interest! I hope you enjoy the mod.

Really wish I had time for that in the near future. Think it could be pretty awesome, and I'd love to create a map, especially something like this. Let's hope someone will read this and would be willing to invest time, I'd gladly advise and assist where possible.

I've been looking for something like this since I started playing Civ 5. Granted, I haven't played it since school started in August, so I haven't looked lately.

That said...I'd like to try this, but have completely forgotten how to install mods for Civ 5.

Could anyone provide me with some basic instructions? I couldn't find any in the overall post... =/

I've been looking for something like this since I started playing Civ 5. Granted, I haven't played it since school started in August, so I haven't looked lately.

That said...I'd like to try this, but have completely forgotten how to install mods for Civ 5.

Could anyone provide me with some basic instructions? I couldn't find any in the overall post... =/

There's install instructions in the first post. :)

Putmalk said:
Installation

Download Putmalk's Ancient World.zip from the link below
Open Putmalk's Ancient World.zip
Move Putmalk's Ancient World.civ5mod into your My Games -> Sid Meier's Civilization V -> MODS folder. If an older version of Ancient World exists, delete that version.
Begin Civilization V
MODS -> Browse Mods
Click "Install Mods" in the lower-right hand corner
Enable "Putmalk's Ancient World"
RECOMMENDED: Download a Putmalk's scenario (see Author's Note)
Enjoy! Please comment in this thread!

I didn't format the quote it would be too much of a hassle to do so.

Ahhh, so I am not only a noob, but blind too!

lol, I'll try it when I get home later. Thanks!!! ;)

I'm trying something different, and I wanted some feedback.

I'm adding a new resource called Copper. With it, you'll be able to build Spearman, Axeman and Heavy Spearman. All unique units in the game will require a resource (either Iron, Horses or Copper).

I'm adding a new unit called the Mercenary. Researchable with Code of Laws, this unit is weaker than the more advanced units (such as Swordsman and Heavy Spearman) but require no resource. However, they have no promotions.

Personal thoughts and concerns:
- I plan on making Iron more scarce and Copper very abundant, to justify Swordsman and Legions being more powerful than copper-based units.
- What if there's not enough room on the map to hold both resources? Right now I (hopefullly) reduced the generation of oil and uranium so that there will be more available spaces (if not I'll start tinkering around with making their booleans Ice or something like that). This should free up more space to allow Copper and Iron to dominate the terrain generation.
- The goal of this change is to require more fight over resources and make land more important. More strategic elements = more fun.
- Lesser or unlucky civilizations still have Catapults, Archers, and Mercenaries to fight for cities and secure a resource.
- City-states become more valuable with the introduction of a new resource.

Copper: available from Mining.
Iron: available from Iron Working.

What do you guys think? Please post thoughts and concerns!

Also adding a few icon requests in the request post.

I haven't even played the current version, but...

...sounds amazing!!! I like the idea.

My 2 ct's for now: I'm quite happy with that changes; it sounds great to me - I'm very nosy how it will play.

Genearally I think, for the full conversion version the tech tree is "to short". Did you ever tought about change it to the amount of techs like in original Civ5? If so, the earlyAge (Bronce Age?) could last longer, I think. Maybe its just me, but i got that feeling the classical age starts a bit soon.

(sidenote: do you need a icon for copper? I'm working on some tech- & building-icons [just the graphics, nothing else] so I could add it there.)

My 2 ct's for now: I'm quite happy with that changes; it sounds great to me - I'm very nosy how it will play.

Genearally I think, for the full conversion version the tech tree is "to short". Did you ever tought about change it to the amount of techs like in original Civ5? If so, the earlyAge (Bronce Age?) could last longer, I think. Maybe its just me, but i got that feeling the classical age starts a bit soon.

(sidenote: do you need a icon for copper? I'm working on some tech- & building-icons [just the graphics, nothing else] so I could add it there.)

I'm stumped when it comes to new techs, to be perfectly honest. Help would be needed.

I don't want to add too much to the game as each little change will drastically change the way the game plays. Even one tech can completely unbalance the game. I only add techs were there is deficiencies. For example, I added Irrigation because there was no river farm bonus. But I'm willing to take any suggestions. I'm always open to feedback.

And yep. :) Updated the request post on the first page with Copper and Mercenary. :D

What are your suggestions about how the Merc will look like? Is it a Spearmen? A Swordmen?

About the tech: I will try to make a pic, thats probabyly better then explaning. :)

What are your suggestions about how the Merc will look like? Is it a Spearmen? A Swordmen?

About the tech: I will try to make a pic, thats probabyly better then explaning. :)

A mix of both, really. Mercenary armies can be anything. A generic icon, just like a barbarian would do. Spearman/Swordsman, doesn't matter. ;) It's a very unspecific unit.

I love this mod and the unit concept behind the Mercenary - but I dislike the word choice. A mercenary is a unit of any composition from spear men to heavy cavalry that simply contracts for a limited engagement for pay, then leaves for another bidder.

If the idea is to have a force of light infantry with mixed arms that's not as powerful as heavy spear men or swordsmen I'd recommend Skirmishers. There were a variety of light infantry units under this name in the Hellenic and Roman periods. If you want to spice it up you could give them the disengagement property of the Slinger too.

But really, my main point is to advocate for "Skirmishers" over "Mercenaries" for the unit name.

- Marty Lund

I love this mod and the unit concept behind the Mercenary - but I dislike the word choice. A mercenary is a unit of any composition from spear men to heavy cavalry that simply contracts for a limited engagement for pay, then leaves for another bidder.

If the idea is to have a force of light infantry with mixed arms that's not as powerful as heavy spear men or swordsmen I'd recommend Skirmishers. There were a variety of light infantry units under this name in the Hellenic and Roman periods. If you want to spice it up you could give them the disengagement property of the Slinger too.

But really, my main point is to advocate for "Skirmishers" over "Mercenaries" for the unit name.

- Marty Lund

I agree with you, but Skirmisher is already used by the Medes' unique unit.

I agree with you, but Skirmisher is already used by the Medes' unique unit.

Ah, my apologies. I missed them on the unique units list. I'll see if I can come up with an alternative for one or the other.

- Marty Lund

OK, so alts for "mercenary" as a unit name:

Guards / Guardsmen
Soldier (seems too modern)
Levies

I actually favor "Levies" as it seems appropriate with Code of Laws at Tier 4 technologies at the end of the early classical period. They represent units formed by compulsory military service among citizens of a republic, city-state, league, or otherwise outside the scope of a professional army. As such they made up the body of the army of the Republic of Rome in its early and middle periods, in contrast to the professional legions required to hold the expanded borders of the late republic and empire. It covers a mixed bag of weapons and armor too.

- Marty Lund

When Marty raised the issue about the name, I was thinking Levies could work too.

However....considering the amount of mercenaries that served in ancient times, isn't there an adequate way of implementing them?

This is a low res JPG of the tech and building icons I made so far.
Spoiler :

A few of them were originally made for our Ancient Mediterranean Civs - Greek Epic, so they not fully fit your call for help. Some are suggested for replacing modern looking Civ5's icons (like Harbour, Sailing), some are new, but typical ancient buildings - feel free to use them if you want to add or change buildings. But others are especially made for your Mod, like Copper or Ballistics for example. :)
Please tell me, if its o.k. - then I'll send the DDS to you.

Edit: so here are 8 units-icons as well now.
Spoiler :

left side:
- Siege Ship(?)
- Trading/Exploring Ship
- Bireme*
- Quinquereme/Pentaere or watever you want to name it

right side:
- Clibanarii
- Mercenary
- Onager(?)
- Helepolis

*I would suggest naming the first ship Bireme instead of Trieme. Upgrades to Trieme, then Quinquereme. Just an idea, corresponding with my former idea about longer lasting first age(s).

Attachments

• Ancient_World_my_Atlas1_256.jpg
    Ancient_World_my_Atlas1_256.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 12,087
  • Ancient_World_8Units_Atlas_256.jpg
    Ancient_World_8Units_Atlas_256.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 326
...I'm speechless right now.

This is #@$@ing amazing. No lie. This...is incredible...exactly what I needed...thank you so much....

You can send the DDS to me, but I can also use this JPG and plop them into my atlases. The icons looks great. It's gonna feel good getting rid of the Ballistics and Observatory icons. And copper looks gorgeous.

Check that, they all look gorgeous.

Definitely looks awesome. I'm excited by the version 7 release notes as they are shaping up. I'm a huge fan of Civ in the Ancient, Classical, and Medieval Eras so this is really my mod to watch. Thanks for everyone's hard work!

- Marty Lund

Top Bottom