Classic (really old) computer strategy games

I love homm2. 3 I never did enough with it, the main campaigns are ridiculously easy. I think if you get your own custom maps its more fun. Homm2 had the right mix of difficulty and strategy. Very solid game. I'd put it up there with civ 1,2,3 and moo 1,2 for 90s strategy.

I have access to all the HOMM.

Warlords 3 is classic. I still have the CD but don't know how to run old Windows programs.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

It's amazing what they did back then, I started computer gaming with a 2nd hand Toshiba portable w/Dos 3.5 and it was a big step up from what the programer of 'Annals of Rome' had to work with, 48K of memory and still produce a very decent game-something for modern programers to keep in mind as they build programs:
Annals of Rome – The Designer’s Perspective
March 17th, 2008 by Troy Goodfellow · 5 Comments · Ancients, Feature:Anc, Interview, Retro

As I noted in an edit to my Annals of Rome entry, I was delighted to get an email from the designer of the game, George Jaroszkiewicz. The fact that he was not credited in the original packaging (“When I created the game, it was inconvenient to publish my name, so I invented the name “Rome Software” as a convenient cover.”) explains why it was so difficult to find any game genealogical footprint.

In any case, Mr. Jaroszkiewicz gave his consent for me to publish the contents of that email. I hope you find them interesting.

Quote:
In those days I wanted to see how accurately I could create a historical simulation and personally I thought of it as an intellectual, mathematical exercise in socio-economic modelling. However, at that time, such “games” were not thought of as anything more than entertainment and not something for grown men to dabble in, so I kept my name out of it. I pandered to that element by introducing a scoring system, but as various reviewers have pointed out, the only score worth anything in history is how long we can survive. [The often credited] Andrew Pan and A. D. Boyse & J. G. Langdale-Brown were simply people who were paid by PSS to convert the game from my original Amstrad 464 version onto various more popular platforms. They had nothing at all to do with any of it apart from that. I still hold the original documentation, flow diagrams, and copyright and can prove this.

It should be appreciated how little RAM I had available to me when I wrote AOR. Not much more than 48k. I had the smallest Amstrad, with a monochrome monitor, not colour. ...
(Continued)
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2008/03/17/annals-of-rome-the-designers-perspective/ ... rspective/
and a review:
Annals of Rome (1986)
March 14th, 2008 by Troy Goodfellow · 7 Comments · Ancients, Feature:Anc, Retro, Review

Annals of Rome is usually forgotten when people talk about classic strategy games of the period. It was one part of a PSS developed trilogy called the Wargamer Series (the other two were Fire Zone and Sorceror Lord), and PSS didn’t exactly have a reputation for creating brilliant titles. Its early titles were arcade ripoffs. Frogger became Hopper, PacMan became Vacuumania, and Tron became Light Cycle.

By 1985, they made the move to strategy and role playing games, with Theatre Europe and Swords and Sorcery. Though more original than the arcade clones, neither was especially ground breaking. Well, you could nuke specific cities in Theatre Europe. Swords and Sorcery was similar to Bard’s Tale in many ways. But Annals of Rome stands out for me because it introduced mechanics that most game designers wouldn’t pick up on for years.

Annals of Rome was a single player game in which you took on the role of Rome, guiding it through the centuries. You would raise taxes, raise armies and conquer the world. Big deal, right? But the innovations introduced by programmer George Jaroszkiewicz are remarkable for their modernity. (EDIT: Originally this article attributed the design to Andrew Pan, whom Mobygames lists as the C programmer. Mr. Jaroszkiewicz wrote in to correct me. Apologies are extended to him, and gratitude for his gracious email.) ...
(Continued)
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2008/03/14/annals-of-rome-1986/
You can find it at HOTU http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/37-strategy/37/19748 and Internet Library https://archive.org/details/msdos_Annals_of_Rome_1988

HOTU has a text version of the manual along with the game.

Link to video.

The map looks a bit like http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12545147&postcount=5

^I had tried that game (AOR) ten years ago. Pretty cool game (although you are bound to die). :)

For 48K of Ram you got something like 30 different civs (appearing later in time to replace other ones too), Imperator revolt events, and quite a bit of flexibility. Very well done :D

Last edited:
Panzer General, now over 20 years old. Very simple to learn, but very strategic. The only problem was finding actual people to play against if you got bored of the AI.

The Settlers 2. Real time economy management at its finest. Plus it had a rather catchy soundtrack that I can still recall after all these years.

panzer general, a game I have never played yet still loathe because of how often everyone referenced it as inspiration for civ5's combat system, with I equally hate.

Currently doing some Spring cleaning which ended up segueing into a walk down Memory lane. From newest to oldest:

SMACX. G.O.A.T. Nuff said! :thumbsup:

Deadlock: a campy little sci-fi Planetary 4X TBS: its like SMACX lite.

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch: a fun little game that put you back on Ringworld with some new friends.

Star Legions: an RTS planetary assault game where you orbited your ships around enemy planets, bombarded them from space, and launched your assault troopers down to the planets below to wage wars of conquest. In this game you were the ultimate galactic bad guys out to kick arse, and the more brutal you were the greater the rewards and accolades from your High Command.

Empire Deluxe: the game that started it all for me back in 1989. And I've still got the registration card and notepad for taking notes on! :)

And now waaaay back to 1986 for a game I downloaded off then internets sometime along (you can tell it was a while ago based on the printer paper).

Attachments

• GOAT.png
    GOAT.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
  • Deadlock.png
    Deadlock.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 189
  • Ringworld.png
    Ringworld.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 247
  • Star Legions.png
    Star Legions.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 184
  • Empire.png
    Empire.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 200
  • Final Frontier 1.png
    Final Frontier 1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 212
  • Final Frontier 2.png
    Final Frontier 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
EMPIRE

I think this is the first turn based strategy game I ever played. Either way, it's what got me hooked on turn based strategy games, including Civ

I thought this game was amazing and would fantasize about playing it.. but all I had was a puny Atari 800XL so I couldn't. I could only play it on my best friend's Atari ST, who I hung out with all the time, but who didn't "like" the game because the last time we played I beat him badly. Yeah it was that kind of relationship and now instead of my best friend he is actually sort of my nemesis.

But either way, this game was great. The first couple games we played, we just got sucked right in. You got to slowly expand your empire and explore the map and even get to name your ships.. and we were just like.. "one.. more.. turn.."

panzer general, a game I have never played yet still loathe because of how often everyone referenced it as inspiration for civ5's combat system, with I equally hate.

Panzer General is brilliant for what it tires to do. The problem is transferring the combat system to civ scales doesn't work. PG has combat areas that are at somewhere in the 100kms in size at maximum. Civ tends to deal with the whole continents on the smallest scale. You'd need huge maps if you wanted to make the system work properly on Civ scales.

Man, thread's nearly 5 years old, and 6 pages in, and still no-one's mentioned Syndicate (Bullfrog, Peter Molyneux)...?

Spoiler The only screenie I have handy... :
Syndicate mapscreen.gif

Typical Molyneux though. Great idea, slightly sloppy execution, topped off by a sudden spike in the learning curve right at the end (which, combined with the poor GUI makes the Atlantic Accelerator level an utter *****).

Although I suppose technically that was actually the second RTS I ever played (if the first was North&South, on a 386)

Nice thread....

I recall playing empire and thinking what if cities could do more than simply produce troops etc and then Civ 1 came out. Exactly what I was looking for :)

Syndicate was brilliant too

Before that, I was hooked on spindizzy on the C64 and its 'spiritual' follow up on the Amiga, called rock n rock. Great games.

(spindizzy. I'd love to play this again, I spent endless hours trying to get to all levels)

(Rock n Roll)
upload_2018-4-30_21-8-41.jpeg

Does anyone remember the nice text adventures from magnetic scrolls. my brother would think about the puzzles for so long (guild of thieves), he even wrote to the developers in England for hints. Those text adventures in fact helped a lot with my grasp of the English language.
upload_2018-4-30_21-9-23.jpeg

Reminds me when we spent weeks trying to figure out wtf a manhole cover is while playing Police Quest. We were like.. We know what a man is, we know what a hole is, we know what a cover is.. we know what a manhole is, there are only so many of those, and some of them are usually covered, but what the hell..

I used to play a game called Empire on the Atari ST. It was a turn based strategy game, where you had cities, could designate them to build various units, and then use those units to conquer more cities. I remember this being a lot of fun and probably the first strategy game I ever played.

I used to play the ascii version of Empire on various machines. Also ascii Star Trek and Rogue.

Granny's Garden was the very first computer game I ever recall being involved with:

Deadlock: a campy little sci-fi Planetary 4X TBS: its like SMACX lite.

Many are the cht cht...very few are you...

Man, thread's nearly 5 years old, and 6 pages in, and still no-one's mentioned Syndicate (Bullfrog, Peter Molyneux)...?

Seemed much more execution oriented than most of the games listed here. Strategy mattered, but on many missions you could just stand inside a door with sufficiently many people "persuaded" to join your cause, enough that enemy agents could be similarly "persuaded" :D.

As a kid I got to Atlantic Accelerator and never beat it. Many years later I managed, with some abusive suicide tactics.

The expansion levels I never got around to solving, some of them were really nasty.

Hey guys, I’ve been searching for this one god/strategy game for about a year, thought this thread might yield something, but so far I havent found a trace of it even existing.
The only thing I remember from playing it is that it had this soundtrack that was almost hypnotizing in a way? The vitality of the player’s tribe/country was represented by a heartbeat implemented in the music, the other instrumentals being very simple.. sweeping noises?. The player could also wait for godpowers to charge up, creating floods, earthquakes etc. to use either against the other tribes, or your own.
Apologies that I don’t recall more about it but it must’ve been almost 10 years since I last played it.

Honestly by now I doubt it even existing at all, but if anybody here knows what it might be I’d be incredibly happy to finally find it. It might also already be mentioned but just flew right over my head, sorry for bothering if that’s the case.

P.S. sorry for kinda hogging this thread, I thought this might be the best place to ask.

Hey guys, I’ve been searching for this one god/strategy game for about a year, thought this thread might yield something, but so far I havent found a trace of it even existing.
The only thing I remember from playing it is that it had this soundtrack that was almost hypnotizing in a way? The vitality of the player’s tribe/country was represented by a heartbeat implemented in the music, the other instrumentals being very simple.. sweeping noises?. The player could also wait for godpowers to charge up, creating floods, earthquakes etc. to use either against the other tribes, or your own.
Sounds like you might be thinking of Populous, another Molyneux/Bullfrog title?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous_(video_game)

If so, you can get it via GOG.com.

Top Bottom