Fallout 4

Because you said :

As if FO was a long-standing Bethesda giant and they always went the safe way with it.
Despite Fallout not being a Bethesda franchise to begin with, FO3 being a stark change (2D isometric turn-based to 3D real-time action-based) and FO4 finishing to change Fallout from a RPG to an action shooter.
That's pretty big changes from where I'm standing.

If you consider NV unmemorably similar just because it uses the same engine...

What can I say ? :crazyeye:

Really? You haven't noticed me talking about FO and TES? That makes in my example (not taking Morrowind into equation) Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, that's more than enough to make my point stand. 4 games and 10 years of sandboxes and those games as I said just change scenery and no true changes happen. I don't see what's your problem here and still don't get how exactly and what the hell does FO1, 2 have anything to do with what I'm talking about? When I'm specifically talking about Bethesda development philosophy. Do explain. It seems to me like you're very hard trying to put words in my mouth. It's like you want me to be that guy who thinks FO has always been Bethesda? Do tell where I ever claimed FO1,2 being Bethesda's creations or that there have been no real change between 2 and 3. WTH? I'm really confused tbh. So I repeat, how FO1, 2 and the stark change with FO3 has anything to do with what I said? Did the said stark changes happen between oblivion > skyrim, FO3 > FO4? What exactly is the problem here? :) If your problem is that I didn't specifically mention that FO1 and 2 is not Bethesda's creation... what can I say? I'm not exactly cpt. obvious nor here to state the obvious.

As to:

"If you consider NV unmemorably similar just because it uses the same engine...

What can I say ? :crazyeye:"

I'm not gonna go along with that condescending tone, because:
1. it is for me at least a clear matter of opinion how unmemorably similar or not the games were. Did I like it more than FO3? Definitely. Do I consider it being "starkly" different? No, crazy eye or not ;)
2. I still don't think there's a problem here and you simply misunderstood :)

Characters are unmemorable as expected with Bethesda. My favorite character is MY character with noodle stand protectron a close second. I think the voice actress succeeded here and made at least some kind of connection with the character. Didn't try male character yet and probably won't, because there's no way I'll be replaying the game. As many mentioned there's nothing you can't do with your character so there's no reason to replay.
So characters 5/10 taking into account me liking main char's voice acting and not having seen more than half of the game (main quest haven't progressed beyond coming to Diamond city).

I hate the "space filling" NPC's, because they're constantly awkwardly moving around in the same repetitive pattern, awkwardly bumping and getting stuck whenever their little space of existence is invaded. When someone crosses their repetitive pattern for example. Then they get stuck for no reason in open spaces and wham! teleport 10 meters somewhere. To add to the pain they never shut up, constantly making idiotic comments. You walk through the streets and every goddamn one of them will stop to say something to you even when you're not looking at them and trying to circle around them with at least 5 meters space between you. "My father says not to talk to strangers..." every 2 minutes. Shut up! Shut. UP! Didn't even look your way you little sh... So NPC's 1/10, classic Bethesda.

Quests. Basic Bethesda quests. As many pointed out, writing isn't what they're good at. Continuinity (spelled that right?) issues are many. Silver Shroud quest is one example (just because it was mentioned here a while back). Somehow the guy knows instantly that I killed certain people and instantly gives new assignments. Then certain people instantly find out of what is happening and instantly hire mercenaries and group up to get revenge. All in all the whole shenanigans happen in half the game world day... All the typical Bethesda issues not worth mentioning. 6/10.

Combat. It's alright. Slightly better than FO3, nothing to memorable. 7/10.

Leveling, perks etc. It'll do Although I think it would be much better by simply not allowing to upgrade SPECIAL via perks. 7/10.

Couldn't care less about graphics.

I love this game...It isn't perfect, but I'm enjoying it a lot...Just like F3, NV, the Elder Scrolls games...Maybe I'm a Bethesda fanboy, but their games do cater to my liking.

Those continuinity issues. X-01 armor was supposed to be developed after the war by enclave. Just found 2 and a half of those in old military base armory. :| ok...

Those continuinity issues. X-01 armor was supposed to be developed after the war by enclave. Just found 2 and a half of those in old military base armory. :| ok...

The words "Bethesda" and "lore consistency" are rarely seen holding hands.

Yep, but you'd think they at least TRY with that armor seeing as it's constantly appearing in loading screens where it specifically says it was developed after the war.

Yep, but you'd think they at least TRY with that armor seeing as it's constantly appearing in loading screens where it specifically says it was developed after the war.

There's a few issues like this. I was looking at the Nexus yesterday and someone already has a mod out to correct some of the loot inconsistencies, namely, that safes that are supposed to be pre-war often have pipe guns in them.

Oh man, pipe guns... Almost forgot. Makes me cringe every time.

On the other hand taking into account just how overpopulated and dense the "wasteland" of the game is it is astonishingly surprising how the hell there even is any loot anywhere...

I was thinking of taking another crack at the settlement system, really buckle down and make a logical town complete with perimeter walls, defenses at key locations, etc.

But then I just learned that none of that matters. Walls don't keep raiders out, they just spawn inside the walls. Defense placement apparently doesn't matter at all for resolving attacks while you aren't there, they can all be clustered in a corner of the town and the result will be the same as if they were close to key structures. So screw it, screw it forever, it really seems like my original plan of just throwing stuff wherever is just as good (and a lot less time consuming).

Pretty frustrating because I see a glimmer of brilliance in the settlement mini-game but everything about it is just so half-assed.

Oh man, pipe guns... Almost forgot. Makes me cringe every time.

On the other hand taking into account just how overpopulated and dense the "wasteland" of the game is it is astonishingly surprising how the hell there even is any loot anywhere...

It's because they all spend half their waking lives being stuck on objects.

But then I just learned that none of that matters. Walls don't keep raiders out, they just spawn inside the walls.

You're kidding right? No, really, seriously? That's ******** pathetic even for Bethesda.

You're kidding right? No, really, seriously? That's ******** pathetic even for Bethesda.

Yeah, I'm used to Bethesda being lazy because "the modders will fix it" but this is beyond the pale even by their standards. For something that they hyped up so much during the marketing push the whole system feels remarkably like it was tacked on at the last second.

I will say this for the game, there is one change that is absolutely, positively, 100% positive: the classical radio station. I hope there will eventually be a huge mod that greatly expands it.

Yep, settlement construction sucks in every way. Don't want to touch it with a stick. Makes me angry that I have to do construction with certain quests. It's not half-assed, it's 99%-assed.

I just realized something. Took me a while since I played NV and FO3 so long ago and might be wrong. But. Combat (shooting) is now pure FPS. There's no skill or perks involved with this. You can easily hit someone with a pistol from sniper rifle range like it's nothing. Only damage upgrades. Slap me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember my pistol (or any rifle etc) being all wobbly when aiming and bullets flying all over the place when my shooting skills were low. I also remember enjoying that system and thinking they should have made it even more impactful. :/

Agility increases your VATS accuracy, I believe.

Somehow the guy knows instantly that I killed certain people and instantly gives new assignments

Well you do leave your calling card there. But yeah I can't see how he'd instantly know. But this is a common game mechanic that doesn't bother me.

As many mentioned there's nothing you can't do with your character so there's no reason to replay.
They really messed up here imho. As mentioned a couple pages ago in that video review, it really is a game that has all rewards and no drawbacks. I'm surprised they even left chem addiction in (although I never use chems, so I don't know how addiction works in this game).

Walls don't keep raiders out, they just spawn inside the walls.
Sad to hear. Glad I didn't waste time building walls. I think a lot of settlement stuff is just for those who like things to look pretty. I just plopped down turrets wherever LOL.

I will say this for the game, there is one change that is absolutely, positively, 100% positive: the classical radio station. I hope there will eventually be a huge mod that greatly expands it.
Glad I'm not the only fan of this. While the 50's classics are more in line with the Fallout universe, I really do enjoy exploring and killing with classical music on. Although sometimes I want quiet and I alternate between that and the ambient music. I almost never listen to Diamond radio.

I just realized something. Took me a while since I played NV and FO3 so long ago and might be wrong. But. Combat (shooting) is now pure FPS. There's no skill or perks involved with this. You can easily hit someone with a pistol from sniper rifle range like it's nothing. Only damage upgrades. Slap me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember my pistol (or any rifle etc) being all wobbly when aiming and bullets flying all over the place when my shooting skills were low. I also remember enjoying that system and thinking they should have made it even more impactful. :/

More fallout from the lack of skills in this game. I know people said the perks make up for it, but this shows it doesn't. But more of what I mentioned above about almost no negative effects for your character. It's almost all based on human skill rather than your stats. But I think maybe your VATS hit percentages are affected by your perks or specials stats? I'm not really sure. I sometimes use vats in a hurry, but I find I miss too much and I'm better off aiming myself if I have time. Especially with sniper rifle at long range. Agility does affect your sneaking ability along with the sneaking perks. Intelligence gives you more experience. Strength gives you more carry weight. Endurance more HP, Perception better Vats I think, charisma is speech checks, and luck is crit hits?

Took on a deathclaw for the first time (okay 2nd time really, but the first one doesn't count), this time with no power armor. It was an upgraded deathclaw because of my level. This was in the Salem witch museum, so you can dodge back and forth between the walls. Not too hard. I still avoid power armor. Yeah I have to reload when I get caught unprepared, but reload times are fairly quick.

Although loading new areas takes forever. I'm not used to this on the PC. I used to make fun of console players for putting up with such long loading screens for skyrim (which loaded very fast on my computer), but this game takes forever when entering or leaving a city.

I hate how your followers teleport around on their own. Is this broken? Past games didn't do this. I suppose it's to prevent them from getting stuck? But it wasn't that much an issue in New Vegas that I remember. For some reason my follower teleports into areas I haven't cleared yet aggoing creatures. Then I accidentally killed my follower thinking he was a baddie ghoul when he was just my companion ghoul.

Anyone fight Assaultrons yet? My deathclaw fight was fairly easy, but this one was not. This was at the freeway interchange location. Unfortunately the elevator takes you right up in the middle of many gunners including an Assaultron robot. These things are tough. Took me several tries to do this battle without power armor. I think crippling his head worked, because he retreated after that.

Top Bottom