Want to get Windows 10?

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
This morning I noticed a windows icon in my system tray that is asking if I want to get Windows 10. As I thought Windows 10 was not coming out until July 29th, I have not tried clicking on the icon wondering if it is legit or not.

Anyone else getting this and has anyone got any information on its legitimacy?

edit - just checked again and found this article about the icon, it is for pre-registration.

Spoiler :
Windows 10 is coming on July 29, according to Microsoft, and the company is encouraging those who want to upgrade to Windows 10 when it’s available to preregister now.

Digital Spy is pointing out that if you are a user of Windows 7 or 8.1 that you might see an alert pop up on your desktop. This alert tells you that you can now register for Windows 10. The company has actually made it very easy for people to enroll in the list of users that will be upgrading when the new operating system is ready and waiting. Clicking on the icon that is popping up will allow people to put their names on the list and get as close to the front of the line as possible for Windows 10. Windows 10, of course, is the newest OS from Microsoft and is entirely free for those who are already users of the massive number of laptops and desktops using Microsoft software.

I won't be getting in a digital queue for it anytime soon. I like to let others break new versions in first, listen to them whine and kvetch about it, then make my own decision about whether or not it will improve my experience.

That would be the way to run a phishing scam, tho.

Don't need Windows 10, don't want windows 10.

I reserved my copy but I have no intention of installing it anytime soon. I'll let it get broken in first and look for reports on how well older games and programs run on it. Kind of annoying that the con doesn't go away when you do so though, but it is easily hidden.

I'm not in any particular hurry to get on the Windows 10 train. As a desktop (and occasionally laptop) user, I don't see any particularly compelling features, with the notable exception of DirectX 12 in a few years' time. And when I jumped on Vista early, I got burned, so I'll let others take the early leap this time. If everyone says it's the bee's knees next June, perhaps.

Though it is interesting if it contains Office. If so, what version? I'm pretty happy with Office 2010 as-is, for the infrequent occasions I use it, but Windows containing Office by default, even if a limited version, would be a change. Though as I already have Office 2010, that isn't a compelling reason to upgrade like it might be if I didn't have it.

I also don't have any computers that are eligible for a free upgrade currently... but I'll probably be picking up either Windows 7 or 8 in the near future, and thus would have an eligible machine (plus one or two others that would still be on XP and not be eligible). My big question is "do I want Windows 8?", not Windows 10.

It does not contain Office.

Off the top of my head, best improvements in Win10 over Win8:

-Per-monitor DPI scaling adjustment.
-Native flac support.
-Native mkv support.
-Gets rid of some more legacy XP icons.
-Windowed universal apps.
-App-V sandboxing for desktop apps.
-MS Edge dropping legacy IE cruft.

My big question is "do I want Windows 8?", not Windows 10.

What? Why? Win8 support is going to crater like Vista's after Win7 was released, and it's not going to be any cheaper to get Win8 rather than Win10.

I don't know how this is a real benefit for the average user who probably doesn't know what most of that even means. I mean some of those are great for sure but I'll either be using another program for it anyway or don't care or don't know what it is (Windowed Universal Apps?).

I don't see any reason to get Windows 8 over Windows 10, especially since Windows 10 is a free upgrade if you have Vista/7/8.

I don't know how this is a real benefit for the average user who probably doesn't know what most of that even means.

The average user is stupid, you can say the same about any OS upgrade ever.

I don't see any reason to get Windows 8 over Windows 10, especially since Windows 10 is a free upgrade if you have Vista/7/8.

Well yeah, there's pretty much never good reason to run an old OS.

Also no Win10 upgrade for Vista users.

Zelig is correct re:Office. Windows Phone 10 will have Office, but not regular Windows.

Per-monitor DPI scaling would be nice at work. I thought that was a Windows 8 or 8.1 feature, but I may be incorrect about that as I have Windows 7 at work, and don't have much of a need for it at home.

I thought windowed universal (formerly known as Metro) applications were also part of 8.1. That is a fairly significant change; I can't say I'm enamored by getting yanked away to fullscreen Metro applications when using 8.0.

FLAC/MKV support is already easy enough to get on XP and later via various programs such as Foobar2000 and VLC (and perhaps a codec pack). I'm glad Microsoft is finally supporting them natively, but I already have convenient ways to play them so it's not an upgrade factor for me.

Newer icons I only care about if they display larger on the screen, and thus are more crisp. But so far it's not something I see as a deficiency in 7/8 (compared to, say, some versions of Longhorn where higher-res icons were clearly needed).

I don't know what benefit I would get from App-V sandboxing for desktop applications. IIRC, that's also limited to desktop applications distributed through the Windows Store, which drastically reduces the chances I'd run into it anyway. I suppose it would be similar to how Java applets have a much more limited view of the operating system than desktop Java programs? Not a great example given the security issues with applets, but the best I can think of now.

And Edge is great, particularly as a developer. I hope all Windows 10 users use it and no one uses IE on Windows 10. As a user, though, it's still one of many browser options, and I'm pretty happy with Firefox and Vivaldi going forward (and still use Opera Presto fairly often, though less recently). Edge seems to take Microsoft browsers to the point where the developer part of me wouldn't hate me for using it, but I'm not sure it goes so far as to make it the best one out there.

Did they ever get rid of web search results and MSN articles showing up in the taskbar search, a la Ubuntu One? That's my #1 annoyance with the build of Windows 10 I tried. I haven't used it that much though, since the Insider Preview's privacy policy was not very favorable and I didn't want to do any real work on it as a result. I expect the final release's privacy policy will be much more similar to previous versions, and hope the eventual trial version also has a more moderate one.

All said, per-monitor DPI is something I may well upgrade for at work, I just thought it was 8.x. Everything else, take it or leave it for my workflow.

Windows 7 and Windows 8, at current prices at places such as Micro Center and Newegg, are actually cheaper than what the planned prices for Windows 10 are, for fresh-install/pre-Windows 7 upgrades. Granted, only by $20 or so, but for a Vista or XP computer, it makes more financial sense to buy one of those and then optionally upgrade to Windows 10 for free than to directly buy Windows 10.

Edit: One other noteworthy Windows 10 improvement is native virtual desktop support. In theory I can see that as being a good reason to upgrade, but in practice I've never used them extensively even when I was using Linux, so I'm not sure I would make use of it in Windows 10, either. Still, a reason to consider.

Which means I can ignore your opinion on this topic. :lol:

It's factually correct. Other than cost, really the only reason there's ever been to not upgrade to a newer version of Windows has been if your hardware was underspecced, and pretty much anything that runs Vista acceptably will run Win10 better.

Per-monitor DPI scaling would be nice at work. I thought that was a Windows 8 or 8.1 feature, but I may be incorrect about that as I have Windows 7 at work, and don't have much of a need for it at home.

Windows 8 you can set the DPI scaling with a mode that tries to automatically pick what the "correct" one for each monitor is, with predictable results - you can't manually set different ones on each monitor.

FLAC/MKV support is already easy enough to get on XP and later via various programs such as Foobar2000 and VLC (and perhaps a codec pack). I'm glad Microsoft is finally supporting them natively, but I already have convenient ways to play them so it's not an upgrade factor for me.

Not much difference for desktop use, but the MS music/video apps tend to get significantly better battery life on mobile due to the WinRT sandboxing/app model.

I don't know what benefit I would get from App-V sandboxing for desktop applications. IIRC, that's also limited to desktop applications distributed through the Windows Store, which drastically reduces the chances I'd run into it anyway.

Not much of a change for now, but if they go like Mac OS and make it a PITA to install anything from outside the store, you can expect any legitimate developers to get theirs apps onto the store. Then because the installation of everything is tightly controlled, uninstallation wipes any trace of the app from your system, and dramatically cuts down on crapware.

Did they ever get rid of web search results and MSN articles showing up in the taskbar search, a la Ubuntu One?

Probably? I always leave it off in win8.

Edit: One other noteworthy Windows 10 improvement is native virtual desktop support. In theory I can see that as being a good reason to upgrade, but in practice I've never used them extensively even when I was using Linux, so I'm not sure I would make use of it in Windows 10, either. Still, a reason to consider.

On either Linux or Mac OS I've never found virtual desktops to be of much use. Maybe for users with only single monitors.

Also SSH in PowerShell!

Well, not always... :)

Look at Vista and, perhaps, Windows 8. :crazyeye:

I missed the Vista upgrade as they wouldn't give me the free 64-bit upgrade (as my XP copy was 32bit, bastards). So I can't speak to that really, but my understanding from the few times I used it and from reading about it was most (all?) of the annoyances could be tweaked. E.g. it always asking "are you sure you want to do this? Wait wait....are you SURE??" Re: Windows 8, I use this extensively so although there were growing pains, same deal. Once you tweak it to your preference it's pretty great and an improvement over Win 7, especially on a laptop. And by tweak I mean "kill Metro with fire." Windows 7 was a great experience out of the box, unlike 8 and Vista, but with how invested you have to be in your OS--this is your computer's identity after all--I don't deduct major points for 8's initial issues. I see it as more of a style blunder that they thankfully gave us the option to completely ignore, eventually.

I've been using Windows 10 for the last 6 months or so on my primary, pretty stable so far. Biggest gripe I have with it is the stupidly large search bar now built into the taskbar, it's 3x the size it needs to be.

So, I guess win10 is here now. Free upgrade. ..and it looks like a good too, unlike Vista and win8. Anyone tried it? I think I'll hold off a bit longer. Win7 is working fine and you never know what Microsoft is up to with free handouts.. I heard it comes with free ads too :yup:

I installed the upgrade on my mother's desktop (which had been running Windows 8.1). It seems pretty good from the very little I've seen, but her testing is not extensive. She doesn't use any programs except Firefox (at least she doesn't still use the AOL browser like my dad does), and doesn't seem to understand that there is a difference between a computer and the internet. Facebook and YouTube did not change much with Windows 10, so she's happy enough.

Before I upgrade my laptop, I want to hear feedback from those upgrading from Windows 7 who use a broader range of programs. I definitely want to make sure that Civ 4 runs well.

I'm guessing that the upgrade would not work so well with the free trial of AutoDesk Civil 3d that I downloaded for practice while waiting to hear back about some Civil Engineering job interviews. I plan to wait at least until the 1 month trial period is over.

Top Bottom