PolyCast Episode 234: "Embargo Lifted"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Timing is everything. The two-hundred-and-thirty-fourth episode of PolyCast, "Embargo Lifted", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Tom "dojoboy" Herring. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m52s | News
A first, second and third official video for Civilization Beyond Earth: Rising Tide surface alongside three first-hand previews.
- 38m38s | Open Mic
Responding to an inquiry from "OneCrazyCanadia" asking for "good ideas" for scenarios in CivBE.
- 40m55s | Forum Talk
A suggestion for expanding Civilization diplomacy to include a counterbalance to the denunciation mechanic gains traction, followed by a claim that a Civilization VI has not been delayed by the CivBE expansion Rising Tide (45m59s; recorded for Episode 231).
- 50m45s | Miscellaneous
Where the Civilization IV theme ranks on a countdown of "Top 10 Video Game Menu Themes" (recorded for Episode 230), where the Civ series in general finds itself on a comparable list of "Top 10 Video Games With Steep Learning Curves" (51m00s; recorded for Episode 231) and civs that become one's first target upon discovery (54m33s; recorded for Episode 231).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Record setting and adapting to expectations.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

My discovery of this podcast is rather recent, so I've been listening to a number of them. I had a lot of fun listening to this one, however. It felt like the topics flowed together fairly well. I left a comment on the YouTube video but I'll relay here again.

I find it appropriate that nearly every comment that was made about improving Civ V's diplomacy echoes the changes we see being developed with Rising Tide. Based on the video information that I have seen about Rising Tide, the Praise system discussed sounded quite like the Respect system being introduced. It seemed like the AI will approve or disapprove of various actions based on what Traits they have. An Industrialist will see that you have high production and their Respect for you will go up. An Expansionist will look at your puny 3 city empire and their respect for you will go down.

So I find it amusing to no end that you've talked about BE diplomacy in the first half of the podcast and then basically talked about a potential iteration of the same system. I mean, BE's current pre-RT system is essentially that of Civ V... so it would make sense that the same issues persist.

P.S. ALEX MUST DIE!

My discovery of this podcast is rather recent, so I've been listening to a number of them. I had a lot of fun listening to this one, however. It felt like the topics flowed together fairly well.
:), welcome new listener. Now, one could interpret your second sentence above as having fun listening to the episodes is an exception... :mischief:

:D

I find it appropriate that nearly every comment that was made about improving Civ V's diplomacy echoes the changes we see being developed with Rising Tide. Based on the video information that I have seen about Rising Tide, the Praise system discussed sounded quite like the Respect system being introduced. It seemed like the AI will approve or disapprove of various actions based on what Traits they have. An Industrialist will see that you have high production and their Respect for you will go up. An Expansionist will look at your puny 3 city empire and their respect for you will go down.

So I find it amusing to no end that you've talked about BE diplomacy in the first half of the podcast and then basically talked about a potential iteration of the same system. I mean, BE's current pre-RT system is essentially that of Civ V... so it would make sense that the same issues persist.

P.S. ALEX MUST DIE!
I would say that BE's pre-RT diplomatic system is a fraction of CivV's, though much of the latter tends to be luxury resource selling/bartering. It's not yet clear if what is to be introduced to BE with RT goes as far as the Praise system proposal and to what extent trait choices have on diplomatic interaction. That said there are undoubted parallels, and perhaps the Praise system can have some sort of impact on what CivBERT brings forward diplomacy-wise.

:), welcome new listener. Now, one could interpret your second sentence above as having fun listening to the episodes is an exception... :mischief:

The better way to word it would be: I enjoyed this episode more than I did many of the others.

I would say that BE's pre-RT diplomatic system is a fraction of CivV's, though much of the latter tends to be luxury resource selling/bartering. It's not yet clear if what is to be introduced to BE with RT goes as far as the Praise system proposal and to what extent trait choices have on diplomatic interaction. That said there are undoubted parallels, and perhaps the Praise system can have some sort of impact on what CivBERT brings forward diplomacy-wise.

Yes, I was amused by the parallels. BERT's system is still a mystery, especially with regards to its effectiveness. I did use the word "iteration" at the end of my previous comment. The system of BERT almost certainly won't go as far as what was discussed, but I think its a good stepping stone headed in the direction of a more dynamic diplomatic atmosphere.

In any case, I'm very excited for the Rising Tide.

Top Bottom