New: Installing mods on Civ5 for Mac

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
I have unstuck the old thread on this subject, as the new version of Civ5 in the Steam store now operates the same as the Windows version.

You can simply download mods from the Steam Workshop and run them. You no longer have to edit the scripts or run AppleScripts to make them work.

If you really want to run mods in the Mac AppStore version (Civ5 Campaign Edition), then here is the old thread. I don't plan to maintain it in future, as mods in the Mac AppStore version always seem to be a bit tricky.

I suppose that DLL modding is not something that can be supported one way or the other ?

You would need to get feedback from Aspyr on custom DLL support, but I would be very surprised if they have done it. I think they would have mentioned such a major addition to the product.

And for Mac App Store Campaign Edition ?

Any rumors for an native OS X Civ V SDK ?

Thanks if anybody can answer...

Civ V so great !

Hi, myself and a friend of mine want to get some mods going on a multiplayer game.We both run Macs, hence why I have chosen this thread to seek advice.

I've been trawling the internet and come across the method of just putting the folder containing the mod into Contents>Home>Assets>DLC>Expansion2 (if you're running bnw) and inserting name of the xml files of the given mod into Expansion2.Civ5pkg anywhere between <Gameplay> and </Gameplay>. I thought it sounded too easy to be true and surprise, surprise it achieved a grand total of nothing.

Anyone got any ideas why not or an alternative method to get some multiplayer mods running on OS?

Thanks
J

Hi, I've played hundreds of hours of BNW on my Mac, and I'm even using some community DLC (BNW Tweakpack by SageAcrin), so I'm not completely in the dark. Except on a lot of the vocabulary and acronyms people use here (nerf?).

Anyway, I keep reading about the Community Patch, and I found the thread for it on the Mod Development forum, and it sounds totally awesome. But I tried to install it by unzipping it into my MODS folder, and Civ V says "This version of the game is not compatible with this mod." Is there no way to get access to all that awesomeness on Mac?

Apologies in advance for asking dumb questions. I really did look around for a while to try to find the answer to my question--I guess I just don't know where to look. Feel free to kick my ass and point me to the obvious place to look.

As I understand it, CP modifies the DLL -- which means it is unusable on the Mac. The DLL is a library of functions (I believe) that is used in Windows programs. If your Mac is powerful enough, you could probably run Windows on it and play the Windows version of Civ.

"Nerf" is a slang term that means roughly "to damage or downgrade". You won't find it in a normal dictionary, I think!

I suppose that DLL modding is not something that can be supported one way or the other ?

After a few hours of tinkering with Wine and various wrappers and the such, I've come to the conclusion that the best idea is to just use Bootcamp to install Windows alongside OS X.

...the best idea is to just use Bootcamp to install Windows alongside OS X.

Mileage varies I suppose. I tried using Bootcamp for some favorites games. It was less painful to give up those games...

I have only just recently started using Mods. My two cents:

Some mods are bundled with DLL files. My understanding is that these are required for some kind of integrity check but are not actually always necessary for the mod to function.

Does the steam civ V not have a mods folder that I can install mods that aren't on the steam workshop with, if so is there a way to get the mods folder?

The mods available through the Steam Workshop are a subset of those available elsewhere. For example, see:
http://www.picknmixmods.com/

The older thread linked from OP is probably your best bet if you are trying to load a mod that is not available from Steam Workshop. I did not try not unpacking the .civ5mod file. Maybe that would have saved me a few steps?

I don't think you can avoid unpacking the .civ5mod file. As far as I know the Mac version cannot handle the compressed file. I use Keka for that task, see the other thread for various options to make sure it Unpacks it and doesn't just recompress it

Once you have unpacked the mod folder, you normally put it in:
/Users/[your_name]/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS

Once you have manually unpacked the .civ5mod file and moved it to the MODS directory folder, you use the in-game MODS menu to manage mods and load games. For nicely illustrated directions, please see this post by Bob Morane.

New question: How do I unsubscribe to a mod downloaded from Steam? I have it disabled from within the game, then quit, and deleted the files using Finder. Upon restarting Civ5, I find that it is still listed (and not enabled) and Finder shows that the associated .modinfo file and XML files have been re-download from Steam (new file date).

How do I delete the mod completely? Not that it is taking up much space, but I would rather have control than not...

Just unsubscribe from the mod in Workshop. It will then not download again.

Thanks Alan, but I have not been able to find a list of subscribed mods! Firstly, are you talking about going into to Steam directly or from within Civ5? I cannot find &#8220;unsubscribe&#8221; either way, but I wish I at least knew which method I should be trying to make work...

For the mod in question, I only got to it from within Civ5 (and the clunky Steam overlay). I found the one I thought I wanted and selected it. All fine and good. There are two mods that I am subscribed to in this fashion. As I said, I readily see where to enable/disable these two mods from within the game. I find no option to unsubscribe from within the game. Invoking the Steam Workshop overlay from within the game, find no option to show subscriptions. From Steam, without Civ5 running, I have tried going to Community and then Workshop, but I cannot find a list of subscribed mods there either.

I've not used workshop from within Civ5.

Using Steam, in Library, select Civ5. Click "Browse the Workshop", just above "Recent News". On the right you should see a drop down menu "Your Workshop Files". Hover over that and select "Subscribed Items". That should give you a list of the mods you have subscribed to, with an Unsubcribe button beside each.

PS. I just tried from Civ5. You can get to the same screen if you click Get Mods then click the Workshop tab in the overlay. That opens the workshop page with the Your Files menu.

The user interfaces are identical on Mac and PC versions.

And please don't double post in multiple threads.

Then why do I constantly have problems with mods?

Is somebody able to work with and walk me through how to download, install, and run mods smoothly on a Mac? This is getting very frustrating to be playing enne meanne minne moe if they mod will work, fail, or cause an error (like no nukes).

Anybody here, I really could use your help.
I love CIV but can't stand all the crashes I keep getting with Mods (and I really love the mods).
If any of you can walk me through this 101, I really would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Top Bottom