[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Once again you have taken ToT to another level. 127 units is going to make such a big difference to my projects. The last version of ToTPP totally solved all of the issues I was having with my Spanish Civil War scenario, which I'm hapy to say is completed. Now I can go back and add a lot more colour and depth to the scenario. I'm planning to upgrade my old Fortress Europe scenario with a much more complex technology tree and a whole host of other gameplay improvements.

Thanks so much for all the hard work TNO. It really is appreciated! :D

Although most of this patch has done a very good job at being self-explanatory and/or self-managing, I'm not entirely clear on exactly how to reconfigure the units.bmp file to facilitate more than 80 unit slots. I can't find a clear and solid reference to how to do that in any of the documentation that comes with the patch.

It would seem logical to add another 5 lines to the bottom of the Units file but that would only add up to 126 unit slots so I assume I need to add 6 lines which equals 135 slots but only use up 127 of them, the 127th being the barbarian leader, correct?

I seem to be doing something wrong with the extra units. I have added the extra lines required to Rules but when I create a new unit with cheat mode it is called Unit 116 (etc) instead of reading the name from Rules. The graphic also doesn't show properly, displaying a distorted green and a pink bar but no unit. A little guidance would be very much appreciated.

I have been trying to get the extra units to work for the past few days with no success. As far as I can see I have followed the instructions to the letter but the unit name and graphic still won't appear in game. Is it possible to add extra units to an existing scenario or scenario save, or do I have to start a brand new scenario?

Hard to say what the problem is without having a look at your changes. Would you mind uploading the files you modified, so I can take a look?

Thanks for taking a look TNO. I have tried everything I can think of, checked and double checked but no luck. The three files I updated were Rules, Units and Describe. I am trying to modify my existing Spanish Civil War scenario. I guess it is possible to incorporate the extra units in an existing scenario, right?

Attachments

• SCWToTPP.7z
    181 KB · Views: 134
Could you check your upload please? I don't see any changes regarding extra units. :confused:

Doh!

I have two SCW folders, the original and the new one I'm working on. I think that in my haste I must have copied the files from the original folder instead of the update one! I was rushing out to work and forgot there were two folders. I will have to send them in the morning. Sorry to waste your time.

Nothing wrong with your modifications, they work out of the box for me. Could you check TOTPP.txt to see if the patch was loaded correctly? It will contain the line "Applied patch: More units" when everything's in order.

Extra unit types is in the list of Features / Modifications and is checked. The ToTPP.txt does include the line: Applied patch: More units. When I use the cheat menu I can add extra units, but instead of reading the name I have given them in rules they are all called Unit 1, Unit 2 and so on. The graphic is blank except from part of the health bar and a pink line above that.

EDIT: Would it be worth re-installing ToT and applying the patch again to see if the problem was caused by a corrupted file somewhere?

Feel free to try, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference. In the meantime, could you also upload TOTPP.ini, so I can test it again with the exact same set of patches you are using?

Is there a way to use this patch for MGE? Also, is there a guide that will teach me how to make scenarios using TOT (without the scenario editor) so that I may utilize this patch?

The ToTPP does not work with MGE. It would make sense to start working with ToT as that is the platform most scenario designers and players use nowadays. I see you have been posting at the Scenario League and I would say that is the best place to get advice on scenario design. There is a lot of useful information on the Information Thread and I'm sure the guys there will be happy to give you advice.

Even with your ini file, it still works fine for me.

When I use the cheat menu I can add extra units, but instead of reading the name I have given them in rules they are all called Unit 1, Unit 2 and so on. The graphic is blank except from part of the health bar and a pink line above that.

The only way I can reproduce this is by adding NumberOfUnitTypes, 127 to a default rules file and making no further modifications. Clearly, this number is read correctly if you can add extra units in the cheat menu. Reading unit definitions and graphics is not working apparently.

The first 80 units are still being read correctly (names and graphics)? If so, I see no reason why the extra units shouldn't work as well, since I only change the loop counter from 80 to the value of the NumberOfUnitTypes key, which was read correctly, as we concluded.

Maybe someone else around here could give your changes a try as well, see if they do or do not work for them. Hopefully this will shed some light on the situation.

This is very odd. The 80 units all read and display fine. I will ask one of the guys at the Scenario League to take a look at the scenario (I'll send them all of my files in a zip). Hopefully by going through bit by bit we can pinpoint the issue.

A couple of ideas for potential problems:

- Operating system? I'm using Vista

- Scenario folder name? I think there is a punctuation mark and I seem to remember this has caused issues in the past, though I don't recall what with. I will try it without the full stop.

Hi, TNO. I've got one more things to ask for:
1. Is it possible to raise the riot level if someone has got too many troops in a town (let's say more than 5). That would force units to leave and fortify outside the city (quite bad for a democracy). Or simply to raise the unrest level if a city has produced more than for example 10 units? You would have to look for other cities to support those troops.

Hi TNO,

Patine tested the zipped file is sent him and his version worked fine:

I'm getting about half of your issue McMonkey on my computer. The additionally added units are all called "Port1" to "Port46," in-game, whether when displayed on the map, on cheat menus (like Create Unit), AND the Military Units part of the in-game interface for the Civilliopedia. However, unlike you, their graphics are showing on my computer. I hope that helps somewhat, at least.

The units being called Port 1, 2, 3 etc... isn't actually a bug, it is what I called them in the Rules file. I'm sure that if he renamed them in the Rules they would display as whatever he called them.

Therefore the issue must be something specific to my installation of Test of Time as everything works on yours and Patine's PCs. I will have a play around with things, try re0installing ToT and re-applying the patch to see if that makes any difference. Perhaps I have corrupted something by mistake. It's worth a go, even if only to rule that out as a possibility.

It is encouraging that Patine got it to run as it confirms that I need to focus on my end of things. I will let you know how it turns out. If in the meantime you have any other ideas what could be causing the issue I'm all ears (anything that would save me from reinstalling would be a bonus!).

Top Bottom