Interesting Screenshots

In my mod I allowed the Military Academy and Armies to be build without an existing Army. Also I have reduced the army size to one with three additonal hitpoints for better use by the KI.

And then I found this:

Egypt has reached Military Tradition to build an Army and then put a conscript Warrior (1/1/1) in it. :eek:

the LotM mod has 8 hitpoints for an army ; isn't 3 a bit less than balanced ? For the loss of 2 or 3 extra units inside ?

I am playing the map "Inselwelt", where the main players start in the medival age with a larger city on a small island: http://civforum.de/showthread.php?33590-Inselwelt

I play however with my own rule set and have made some small changes on the map (Japan replaced Byzantine Empire, eternal war Japan vs. China and Rome vs. Carthago, two extra luxuries).

In the late phase I was attacked by the Portuguese and found this:

And yes, Sun Tzu Art of War is in London on a two city island. The second city ist the dutch capital York. :rolleyes:

Doesn't that make the Temple of A practically useless since it only sticks one lousy temple in the city on its island? Or does it plonk temples everywhere?

Doesn't that make the Temple of A practically useless since it only sticks one lousy temple in the city on its island?

This is exactly the point of Kirejara's screenshot... ;) Another example of how dumb the AI is... Wasting 500 shields when it could just as well have built a temple for 60 shields... :lol:

(Or perhaps the Portuguese were playing for a 20K victory...?! :mischief:)

This is exactly the point of Kirejara's screenshot... ;) Another example of how dumb the AI is... Wasting 500 shields when it could just as well have built a temple for 60 shields... :lol:

(Or perhaps the Portuguese were playing for a 20K victory...?! :mischief:)

Ah, OK. Indeed, very lolworthy :lol:

Ok, lets see if the server switch is working.

I am playing a game with three fixed alliances (Russia+Ottoman Empire, China+Mongolia and Byzantine Empire+Carthago) and equal starting positions. Mursilis is an unintended and uninvited surprise guest without alliance.

When a carthagian invasion fleet apeared at my shores, I made a mutual protection contract without right of passage with Theodora.

As planned she and Osman both declared war on Hannibal after I reduced the Invasion force (1 Knight/Cavalry-Army, 2 Camel Archer, 1 Musketman and 1 Numidian Merc) to the one unit.

Five rounds later Thedora decided that while at war with him, that she is still allied with Hannibal and declared war on me, when my fleet was within carthagian borders.

For the next 30 rounds or so they were at war with each other and the Ottoman-Russian-Coalition.

This is by the way my first game on monarch level.

It is also a little surprise that Theodora does not know Mursilis, as she has learned Navigation long ago.

And no one has yet claimed the remaining islands. In the end Osman and I claimed them. Some of them with aggressive negotiations... ;)

That is a really interesting map. Makes me want to play a game where every civ has its own land mass to start.

The map is based on the map "Warlust" which came with Civ3Complete as PTW scenario.

I have only connected the main islands with sea shores and some coastal dots as gapping stones. Also I have added a sea ring around each island so that early ships can pass each other (ocean and early ships are marked as wheeled in my rule settings ;) ).

In the original map is only one oil field, one uranium source and no aluminium. So I have added three more oil and one aluminium source.

I am not sure if you can use my version with an unmodded game as there are also coffee, jade and camels on the map. But if I remember correct, they just should dissapear when you open the map in your editor or game. ;)

Attachments

• Islandwar.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 42
Very interesting. I can't say I've ever made an MPP with someone in a permanent alliance, so I'd never seen that happen before. Did the Byzantines and Carthaginians ever make peace, or was Carthage finished before that could happen?

Yeah, it's an option in the editor for scenarios. Several of the ones that came with C3C have a locked alliance or two.

Mmm, Locked Alliance outside exploits, my fave. :yumyum:

Can't recall if I've said this before since search has been disabled; discovered the bug entirely by accident while play-testing a 31-civ full earth scenario. I'd intended it to be a means of keeping the minor powers from getting steamrolled/rolling each other, and instead wound up with virtually the entire world at war with itself. Chain mechanics being what they are they eventually kissed and made up, but by then I had free casus belli on almost everyone and the army to realize said steamroll.

Locked alliances can lead to all sorts of trouble. It gets really fun in the Napoleonic Europe Conquest Scenario, because there's so many of them and a whole bunch of civilizations to stir up trouble. Sometimes it's not even the player nation who creates the locked alliance war, iirc. There's something really fun about creating a mutual protection pact with Portugal and then declaring war on the Dutch.

England is in a locked alliance with the Dutch, so they'll declare war on you. After they land a few troops and attack, Portugal has to declare war on England (even with their locked alliance). Naples might also declare war on you and attack if you're Austria (Naples is allied with England) and then Portugal declares on them too.

Next thing you know, The British are so busy fighting their allies they forget all about the French.

Can't recall if I've said this before since search has been disabled; discovered the bug entirely by accident while play-testing a 31-civ full earth scenario.
If I remember correctly, it was actually a post by you which gave me the idea. ;)

You have got a partner you can really trust, but on the other side they can easily drag you into a war (and trash your trade reputation by that, when your were trading outside your coalition).

Also if one coalition member makes a peace treaty, this is in effect for all parties involved. And again your partner makes sometimes peace at the most adwark moment (usually the round after you landed your massive amphibian invasion force...).

I play with locked alliances quite a bit.

Did you know you can end up in a war with someone you are in a locked alliance with? Just join a MPP with someone you are not locked with, and if a locked ally invades them, you will be at war with said locked ally. Can't actually attack their units, not even their pirate ships, but you'll still be at war.

As an aside (but only because I was thinking about both things while at work today), you can also start wars accidently with submarines, because they are flagged as invisible and the AI can *accidently* run into them. I've used this method to start wars without a rep hit, similar to the 'demand a city' method.

If you are asking yourself, 'why was he thinking about this while at work,' you need to play more civ. If you find yourself stuck in a slow-moving check-out line and thinking about bombarding the guy holding everyone up, you are playing exactly the right amount. If, like me, you sometimes replay in your mind your favorite military campaigns, some over a decade old, you are clearly in the civ abyss and should get help.

You can also accidentally run into the AI's submarines.

Top Bottom