War Weariness Issues

olourkin

Chieftain
I'm playing an Emperor game as the Amurites, and I've run into a seeming oddity with war weariness. I fought a long war with the Calabim that saw my weariness counter grow to around +17 unrest in my capital city. I finally beat the vamps down enough to force a peace, and my cities settled down. No war, no war weariness.

After maybe 100-150 years of peace, the Calabim declared war. And all of a sudden my weariness counter leapt right back up to where it was when I ended the last war. Is that normal? I thought that under normal circumstances, peace resets the weariness counter.

Also, do summoned unit deaths contribute to weariness? I had been throwing hordes of skeletons at well-defended cities to soften them up, but I now wonder whether I had been inadvertently driving up the weariness counter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is still a righteously fun mod.

During peace war weariness slowly decreases. If you make peace when you first start to accumulate war weariness then it will probably be gone by the time you go to war again. 17 war weariness is massive, I've never seen that much myself. That would take a long, long time to fade away.

I don't think that summoned units are supposed to contribute to war weariness, but based on your situation I wonder if I'm wrong. Did you suffer heavy losses of normal units as well, or of cities?

I'm not sure how WW works in FfH2 but in BtS it is based on unit attacks and culture. I presume it works the same as it does in BtS as it is based on that version of Civ4.

If the enemy attacks you in a tile where you do not have 100% of your team's culture (a vassal counts as your team) then the WW counter is increased. In tiles with both cultures the amount of WW is in proportion to your culture and his. With 30% your culture in a tile you will pick up 70% of the WW and he will get 30% of his WW.

If you attack him then the WW increases, if you lose units it increases and also if you take an enemy city. What this means is if you want to avoid WW then try to fight battles in tiles where you have dominant culture, prefferably 100% yours when you get no WW. Defensive wars are good in that respect. If you do capture enemy cities and expect another war in the future, try to increase your culture in the city as a high priority.

WW is affected by the dungeon (-25% WW) and various civics will either increase or reduce WW. So if it causes a lot of unhappiness then changing civics could help. Another trick is to use Slavery to whip away population. The amount of unhappiness due to WW is proportional to city size so with high values whipping in a dungeon can solve the problem in two ways, by reducing the total pop and improving the WW modifier.

Thanks, Emptiness and UncleJJ, I wasn't aware of the culture gauge or the slow bleed-off of WW during peacetime (as opposed to a reset). It seems odd that capturing a city would increase weariness instead of improving morale, but it's good to know.

I'm leaning more towards a theory of summoned units contributing to WW, as it seemed to spike when I was fighting in enemy territory and was losing few regular units, but was marching many skeletons to their (second) deaths.

Thanks, Emptiness and UncleJJ, I wasn't aware of the culture gauge or the slow bleed-off of WW during peacetime (as opposed to a reset). It seems odd that capturing a city would increase weariness instead of improving morale, but it's good to know.

I'm leaning more towards a theory of summoned units contributing to WW, as it seemed to spike when I was fighting in enemy territory and was losing few regular units, but was marching many skeletons to their (second) deaths.

Summoned units that don't have a duration do indeed contribute to war weariness. This was discussed in detail a while ago. It isn't technically a bug, it is an area for potential enhancement.

Olourkin is probably suffering from this, as it probably impacts the Amurites the most; the Amurites of course produce hordes of suicide skeletons and the war weariness can become a major problem.

Hidden nationality units do not contribute to war weariness.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Ok, here is a link to Kael's answer:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=286119&highlight=Summoned+units+war+weariness

Top Bottom