Help with a couple issues?

MarcusAurelius1

Chieftain
Hello guys!! I just got Civ II Multiplayer Gold Edition (Playing it for the first time), and after browsing the forums for a while, I found the 64 bit patch

After applying said patch i opened the game, and the intro video is now a black screen, so i have to click to skip it. After I get in the game, the diplmacy screen when meeting another civ is black as well, and so is the high council screen (big black boxes that overlap other info on the screen).

Another issue is the complete lack of in-game music. the music at the main menu plays and all the game sounds work perfectly fine, but there's no music :( I tried clicking on the pick music option but it says there's no CD, which is funny cause you need the CD to run the game and I have the CD put in the drive.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated

It's most likely because you don't have XP SP3 compatibility mode enabled for your civ2.exe. Pretty sure it works if you enable it.

Side note: You usually don't need SP3 mode to play the MGE game, EXCEPT if you're trying to win by spaceship. Sadly enough, the end video is unskippable, meaning the game will just freeze if you try to finish. Works fine if you enable SP3, and conquest always works as well.

What if I play on virtualbox XP SP3 and I still have the same music issue?
You can listen music of Civ 2 just using dvd from developer,authorized,in your optical drive.Not all patches are compatible with music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom