Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

pvzh said:
Good thing that there are Music Off and NoIntro switches. Cannot think of more inapropriate music for CIVILIZATION, which is LATIN word in the first place. Civilization is roads, aqueducts, literature, legions, etc. -- the Empire whereas this music convey an image of savages singing in the jungle/savannah. It is not "Tarzan".

Moderator Action: Certain parts of this statement are clearly trolls. You can criticize all you want, but do it in a constructive way. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It is amazing how the naive mindset still prevails over years of positive influence.

it is a very good song,and has epic sound,i even downloaded it to put to my winamp list....

interesting choice for a soundtrack. reminds me of "the lion king", where in the beginning an african song is played. this one isnt as great as the:

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba [Here comes a lion, Father]
Sithi uhm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama

Siyo Nqoba [We're going to conquer]
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala [A lion and a leopard come to this open place]

A pity they didn't chose the Syriac Aramaic version of the Lord's Prayer. Would seem to me to be more appropriate than Swahili. The Pesh¡tta Version is considered the most "original" or authoritative version of the New Testament. Written in the native language of Jesus.

Abwoon d'bwashmaya
Nethqadash shmakh
Teytey malkuthakh
Nehwey tzevyanach aykanna d'bwashmaya aph b'arha.
Hawvlan lachma d'sunqanan yaomana.
Washboqlan khaubayn aykana daph khan shbwoqan l'khayyabayn.
Wela tahlan l'nesyuna ela patzan min bisha.
Metol dilakhie malkutha wahayla wateshbukhta l'ahlam almin.
Ameyn.

I sent this to my son. He played on his radio station at college during his show last night (October 11, 2005). Asbury College, WACW on the internet.

josephstalin said:
Baba Yetu is one of the best examples of polytheistic music ever. That's why it sounds so "epic".
Nice job, by the way!

You mean "monotheistic", right?

Yeah, its still in my playlist and the Civ4 Soundtrack was the selling point for the pre-order for me. :)

... I underestimated this song at first. It's so... good.

Thanks so much for transcribing the lyrics! I'd been trying to do a phonetic transcription for an hour before I stumbled upon this post, which helped me immensely. Still carrying on with the phenomes since I can't read Swahilli worth a darn. What a great song! I might try to make a midi of the various harmonies as well, for everyone's singing pleasure...

Meleager said:
Wow. I don't know if I will use this myself, but I really have to congradulate you on the effort you obviously put into this. :goodjob: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
:lol: I admire the original poster's spunk & moxie as well :crazyeye: :scan: :lol:

Trajan13 said:
The tune is actually pretty catchy. It sounds pretty good for cIV. I mean it is pretty epic sounding, but I like it because it sounds of hope, not just of war and conflict.

I wonder though why they chose Our Father? It's possible they just liked the tune, but maybe they were influenced by the new addition of religion?

Evangilism in action. :) (They're getting civvers everywhere to pray just by singing it!)

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I really enjoyed the song in the beginning, now I can sing it with a clear conscience.

Much obliged.

Thanks for the bump. I was lingering on the main menu just to listen to to the sound track!

stargatefan said:
It's the Lord's Prayer... that's definitely monotheistic.

My thought EXACTLY when I read that. Being a christian, I love it when people sing that song and talk about how awesome it is. Then I Get to tell them that they just said their first prayer! Haha, just when they thought they were safe.

My thought EXACTLY when I read that. Being a christian, I love it when people sing that song and talk about how awesome it is. Then I Get to tell them that they just said their first prayer! Haha, just when they thought they were safe.

I would think the true deffinition of a prayer lies in the heart, not in the mouth. Just singing along doesn't mean a person is praying

With that said, I'm pretty sure your words were for humor but I felt I should make a bigger argument out of this post. :p

EDIT: How rude of me. I forgot to give my thanks to MSTK. I had been wondering what I was was singing (quite embarrassingly) to.

I have to put my thanks out there for the transcription as well.. I am a composer myself, and tend to focus too much on the music and ignore the lyrics.. the melody of the vocal parts alone is enough to impress, but the swahili language is very beautiful

as for the actual meaning of the words :rolleyes:

I very much enjoy the song, anyways.. and thank you for the hard work in translating

This is great, thanks for doing this service for the fans. I've always wondered about this song. The reason why it enchants is because it's spiritual in nature. Awesome!

/not 100% Christian per se
//I still think it's awesome!

All I can say is that I think it is perfect....
Big, powerful and emotional.......good tune....a long way from what I would normally listen to!!

Top Bottom