upgrade unit from ruins

FrostK

Prince
For some reason, I never considered that you can get late game units from ruins very early. Here http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198056894375/screenshot/1471902277027994247 you can see that I got keshik on turn 45 (quick speed), several turns later Russia ruched me and was kinda suprised. Someone told me that any unit can get one upgrade from ruins without any specigic conditions. is that true?

Anyway, it seems to be quite abuse to get very early keshik/camel/art(?), not sure if it worth to save some ruins to try get desired upgrade, but can be kind of strategy)

This bugged me when it happened a few years ago. Don't know if it's still possible.

Spoiler :

I just recently upgraded a Crossbow to Gatling long before Industrialization. Of course it was an unexperienced one with no promotions. A logistic ranged Gatling in that era would have dominated

I still think it's OP that Pathfinders upgrade into Composite Bowmen. It wouldn't be so bad except they can CHOOSE it. Meaning turn 1 CompBow is realistic and you can plan for a couple more if your neighbors aren't close enough.

It isn't so bad because Shoshone can't choose the bonus they had chosen in few turns. I don't know exactly about extent of Pathfinder' limitation.

It isn't so bad because Shoshone can't choose the bonus they had chosen in few turns. I don't know exactly about extent of Pathfinder' limitation.

Yeah and not only that but pathfinders require a lot more hammers to build than the scout which is also upgradeable like all units stepping into ruins. Scouts only upgrade to bowmen since they're cheaper.

A pathfinder can't choose the same bonus until you find 3 more ruins. Also a pathfinder that already upgraded to CB can't use the upgrade again. Shoshone can potentially snowball if you can get a lot of early ruins. My experience with Shoshone usually involves killing off the first 1-2 civs next to me. Getting a ruin late upgrade ruin isn't as game breaking on higher difficulty since AI tends to expand extremely quickly. (Ottomans, Zulu, Iroquois and a few others especially)

Aw, you guys haven't been checking out my videos :( I make all the points you just made:

https://youtu.be/Udsy5lU2nnw

Doesn't change the fact that by turn 23, I had 3 Composite Bowmen without having even researched Archery yet, let alone the Wheel or Construction. 2 were had early, with Altitude Training, which lead to a LOT of tributing and camp clearing. This would support my claim that this feature is OP, not refute it.

Aw, you guys haven't been checking out my videos :( I make all the points you just made:

https://youtu.be/Udsy5lU2nnw

Doesn't change the fact that by turn 23, I had 3 Composite Bowmen without having even researched Archery yet, let alone the Wheel or Construction. 2 were had early, with Altitude Training, which lead to a LOT of tributing and camp clearing. This would support my claim that this feature is OP, not refute it.

Maybe that's because nobody has ever heard of you.

Maybe that's because nobody has ever heard of you.

1 Topic is upgrade unit from ruins. Sub-topic is Pathfinder upgrade to Composite Bowman.
2 Appeals to vanity don't effect those with self-knowledge and/or rationality.
3 The human reproduction process inherently means that everybody has been heard of by somebody.
4 Anybody that's ever watched a youtube video has watched a youtube video of somebody they've never heard of before.
5 Anybody that's created a youtube video and received one view is not eligible for the description of "heard of by nobody" in the context of youtube videos.
6 You cannot claim to speak for others let alone ALL others.

Phew! You sure did pack a lot of BS into a single sentence there. The problem with artificially elevating yourself is that it's artificial. :king: And that it's often seen for what it is in the adult world.

No need to be hostile when greeting someone, at least Attila has the decency to be friendly...
Even Shaka has the decency to be nice albeit for 1 turn[the turn that you met him]
if you can get the ruins of course pathfinders are OP.
one time i founded a religion on turn 30 and enhanced it by turn 52 ALL FROM RUINS, i didnt even have a shrine until turn 44. i did this as Greece though not the Shoshone.
point is ruins are Great, so obviously anything relating to ruins is great, such as pathfinders.

Try an Impi > Lancer upgrade. While not as much tech differential it's still OP as all something when you pump out an Impi, send him off to where you know there are a couple ruins barbs have been 'guarding'*, and have him upgrade into a crazy-early Lancer who just goes *smash*, *smash*, *suh-MASH* through a whole bunch of other barbs over the next few turns.

* you know the ruins are still there because the Barb-army eats every scout you sent up there right after you get a look-see at the tile, and the Barbs have just been getting worse all the time.

What's the different of OP, OP in human control and exploit?

As human player, for instance, can intentionally cause ruin in islands left unexplored until renaissance or spam scouts or pathfinder and actively search dozen of ruins and then call it OP.

1 Topic is upgrade unit from ruins. Sub-topic is Pathfinder upgrade to Composite Bowman.
2 Appeals to vanity don't effect those with self-knowledge and/or rationality.
3 The human reproduction process inherently means that everybody has been heard of by somebody.
4 Anybody that's ever watched a youtube video has watched a youtube video of somebody they've never heard of before.
5 Anybody that's created a youtube video and received one view is not eligible for the description of "heard of by nobody" in the context of youtube videos.
6 You cannot claim to speak for others let alone ALL others.

Phew! You sure did pack a lot of BS into a single sentence there. The problem with artificially elevating yourself is that it's artificial. :king: And that it's often seen for what it is in the adult world.

Ermmm,
First, you never even mention this video before saying that no one watch it.
Second, do everyone obliged to watch every video you made before discuss with you about Civ?
Third, maybe you didn't realize that your video you linked is 1 hour long, How long do we need to watch it to know what do you want to say in this topic?
Fourth, I didn't heard your YouTube channel before. Totally my bad :(

First, you never even mention this video before saying that no one watch it.

I could post several links where I've promoted it, but it's not important. The things people offered to refute that Pathfinder -> Composite Bowman is OP didn't refute it at all.

My post was my (supposed to be) cutesy way of saying, "You're preaching to the choir; I've made these points myself." As well as serving as an example for others to see exactly how OP it really can be. I'm not actually bothered if Deity players don't watch my videos. Though I do welcome corrections and suggestions from them :)

Try an Impi > Lancer upgrade. While not as much tech differential it's still OP as all something when you pump out an Impi, send him off to where you know there are a couple ruins barbs have been 'guarding'*, and have him upgrade into a crazy-early Lancer who just goes *smash*, *smash*, *suh-MASH* through a whole bunch of other barbs over the next few turns.

* you know the ruins are still there because the Barb-army eats every scout you sent up there right after you get a look-see at the tile, and the Barbs have just been getting worse all the time.

Mate of mine went Lancer > Anti-tank once. Can't imagine what sort of long-dead culture it was that she found, or what killed them off...

Just wait until your Calvary explores an Ancient Ruins on a island no one started on and becomes a Landship.

Those ancient Landships!

Top Bottom