Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

I was finally able to play my turn but after 3-4 tries only. I didn't try something particular for the last try and somehow it worked. :dunno:

I didn't get a runtime error this time. I got stuck on the loading page instead. I opened a singleplayer session like Lucifer suggested but that didn't change anything, not immediately at least...

If the error persists, it's better to revert further back to players, like insanetrllogic or me to see if the error can be got rid of.

If the error persists, it's better to revert further back to players, like insanetrllogic or me to see if the error can be got rid of.

I played my turn at a friend's place and he has been having trouble using multiplayer for awhile. Maybe it got started there. I had to try 3 times to complete my turn there. We had alot of computers running and different games and internet pages up. :sad: So maybe I started this trouble.

I just took my turn in our Speed and everything went smooth! :)

We're still experiencing random issues with our current hosting provider and are in the works of moving to a new (hopefully more robust and dependable) one. The vast majority of turns submitted are still going through just fine, but every once in a while when the website is having a hiccup it can cause strange and unusual errors submitting a turn.

Continue to let us know as you find issues, either via this forum or emailing our support. We might not be able to address your problem immediately but we will get it working! We're committed to seeing this service continue to improve and flourish. Soon these issues will be a thing of the past :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a tech request but I can't seem to connect to the website or via the client - trying to figure out if it's a problem on my end or the website.

Hey Islandia, sorry you're having a problem. Both the website and the client are working for me. What kind of error are you getting?

Hmm now I can log on - probably a temporary hiccup.

Ah yes, we've been seeing those ever since we switched to our current hosting provider. Don't worry though, we're getting things ready to move yet again to a more reliable provider and this sort of thing will hopefully almost never happen :)

Ah yes, we've been seeing those ever since we switched to our current hosting provider. Don't worry though, we're getting things ready to move yet again to a more reliable provider and this sort of thing will hopefully almost never happen :)

Since it's still beta thought you might be interested - this is happening again on the website:

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Yep, just got the same error...hopefully these are brief and not continuous.

Yep, just got the same error...hopefully these are brief and not continuous.

I was able to download the save file and play the turn but the website is down again so I'll just wait until I see it up and try to submit.

Okay...problems:

In speed, launching the save file leads to the game crashing, during the load screen, goes to black, and the music gets stuck in a loop. Not a crash I've seen before. Then the window pops up saying civ needs to close.

In Kyp's game, I get the GMR client error, retrieving save file, please send debug logs. Shall I?

I'm wondering what was wrong with the provider you used to have. I don't remember really any problems before. Anyway, thanks for helping sort all this out!

Reverted the turn to Islandia, but it still crashes when I load it up, in Speed.

Kyp's game it worked fine after he reverted that turn. :crazyeye:

Btw, congrats on 20,000 turns played! :clap:

Hi,

question: If i use a DLC map, does the other player need the DLC map as well ? Because once the map is generated, you dont need the generator anymore ?

Okay...problems:

In speed, launching the save file leads to the game crashing, during the load screen, goes to black, and the music gets stuck in a loop. Not a crash I've seen before. Then the window pops up saying civ needs to close.

In Kyp's game, I get the GMR client error, retrieving save file, please send debug logs. Shall I?

I'm wondering what was wrong with the provider you used to have. I don't remember really any problems before. Anyway, thanks for helping sort all this out!

Oh yeah, this last week we've seen a higher than usual rate of issues just like this. The good news is we are at this moment working with a new provider to get a VM setup that we'll hopefully be transitioning to in the next couple days. Thank you all for being so patient and working with us through these technical challenges! I promise they'll be a temporary thing and that we'll never stop working to make it better :)

You're right in your observations though, we never really had any technical issues like this with our previous provider. The reason we left them however was that the company was hacked, their website taken offline, and the owner/support became completely un-responsive. The hosting space they operated, where our website used to reside, continued to stay online but we realized it was only a matter of time before their bills came due and that got shutdown as well. Also, it was obvious that whoever had hacked them had administrative access to all the hosting servers as they tried to do a file injection attack on every website hosted there, including ours. So that just wasn't an environment we felt comfortable staying in.

From the research we did before moving providers we thought that the one we're currently on would have been exceptional! Sadly that has been anything but the case. So third time's the charm right! And the server that we're now trying to move to is actually being provided by a fellow GMR user who owns a hosting business and is setting us up with a great deal on a Virtual Private Server which will be SO MUCH better for our situation. I'm feeling pretty great about it! It just takes a few days to get created per our specifications.

Stay tuned guys, GMR is about to get a whole lot better! :)

Hi,

question: If i use a DLC map, does the other player need the DLC map as well ? Because once the map is generated, you dont need the generator anymore ?

You know I've never actually tested that. I imagine that it would work since the generated map seems to be completely contained in the save file, but I'm not sure. You could easily find out though by creating a test game and giving it a shot :)

Thank you all for being so patient and working with us through these technical challenges! I promise they'll be a temporary thing and that we'll never stop working to make it better :) ...

So third time's the charm right! ...

Stay tuned guys, GMR is about to get a whole lot better! :)

Awesome. Good to know about the issues, I was thinking it was on my end.

Hey, what are we going to do, complain? You guys are volunteers! Thanks so much for this whole setup, which should've been released as part of the core game!!!!!!

:hatsoff:

You know I've never actually tested that. I imagine that it would work since the generated map seems to be completely contained in the save file, but I'm not sure. You could easily find out though by creating a test game and giving it a shot :)

Yes it is possible ! i tested it

Top Bottom