Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

I'm now running VD with BUG, but for some reason there is no User Interface. I followed all the installation instructions correctly.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

No user interface usually means that there is a Python failure at runtime.

Set Enable Logging = 1 by editing your ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini file, then start a game with the mod loaded.

When the game has started with no interface, open the ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log file in TextEdit. If it contains some text, copy and paste it here for analysis.

Just kidding. I use Windows 7 but anyone uses what he likes, dont you? ;)

Sure, but people using Windows don't typically ask questions in the Mac forum. :mischief:

Of course. The problem is I see this is a Mac forum just now :blush: :lol:

I search for an answer to my question but I did'n see this is a Mac forum. Anyway, you give me an answer so, thanks anyway and sorry because I was Lost :lol:

(I use a Mac and a PC so I have no fanatisms ;))

:goodjob:

Any chance of someone converting the BAT mod?

The current version of BAT contains outdated versions of most of its components and thus it is not worth converting. If it's updated some time soon I will certainly take a look at it though.

We have BUG, BlueMarble, VD and Cultural Citystyles (inside VD) converted already, which is 80% of BAT anyway. I'm working on converting Better Diplomacy text but it's taking a while as there are so many non-standard ascii characters in the translations.

The other components (Cultural Diversity, Improved Graphics Leaderheads, Better Flags & Buttons) I've not really looked at yet. Cultural Diversity seems to have largely been absorbed into VD and has not been updated for 3.19 so probably not worth bothering with. I personally do not like the improved flags component so I'm unlikely to spend any time on that.

I'd be happy to combine all these together into a single mod download for people. It wouldn't be BAT exactly but it would be pretty close, and more up to date. I'd like to wait til BUG 4.1.1 is released though first as it will contain several crucial fixes, as well as finishing the diplomacy text conversion. It'll be a huge file so I don't want to upload it too many times.

I'm also working on a slightly modified JARM (Just Another Religion Mod). I'll throw that in too as an option for those interested :)

EDIT: Sounds like a new version of VD is looming too, so I'll definitely wait for that one.

Oh Cool. Sounds like an awesome idea.
Are the modern expansion or Leaders of VD packs converted yet?

This is what the PythonErr.log file said:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvAppInterface", line 79, in preGameStart

File "CvScreensInterface", line 72, in showMainInterface

File "CvMainInterface", line 2291, in interfaceScreen

File "CvMainInterface", line 2247, in initState

File "CvMainInterface", line 787, in getMaxRow

ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero
ERR: Python function preGameStart failed, module CvAppInterface

That means the mod didn't find the BUG Mod folder and its contents. Since you are trying to run it with VD, I assume you have put the BUG components in CustomAssets? If so, did you create a folder called Bug Mod at the same level as CustomAssets - ie in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/ ?? See my post #41 in this thread for the precise instructions.

It doesn't need to be told how to find it. It just expects it to be there! Have you tried running just the BUG mod first, without VD?

OK, so it's VD that's getting in the way. As I haven't used that combo, I'll leave it to others to sort your problem out.

You're probably being bitten by the 4.1 change that makes BUG ignore the CustomAssets folder for configs if running as a mod. See this post for a temporary fix until 4.1.1 is ready.

I've committed the final fix for this Strategy Layer crashing bug. Can someone on the Mac please give this file a try? Just replace the file that's there and play around with the Strategy Layer for a while. Thanks!

@EmperorFool: I've just tried it. Looking good so far.

Alan, do you know enough to comment and/or act on and/or help debug this? See my post(s) and the followups by EF.

I've responded in that thread. It may be to do with the Mac version's inability to reload Python modules dynamically. If this is the case, the mod will need to be changed to remove the need for this. There's no chance, in my opinion, that Aspyr would be persuaded to fix this behaviour, since they do not feel any obligation to support "unofficial" mods.

Top Bottom