Raliuven SG3 AWE Persia

That's a pretty unusual approach. Most AW games go with Monarchy to avoid WW altogether.

How long did your Aztec game go?

That's a pretty unusual approach. Most AW games go with Monarchy to avoid WW altogether.

How long did your Aztec game go?

I went for Republic for the commerce early game, and just couldn't be bothered to get out of it. I won before I hit the Industrial Ages, but the last AI player was (I think the second last one was too).

I'm halfway through my turn set and our first GL has appeared. The only two things we can do with it are the FP and an army. I presume we want an army first so we can build a HE but I want to check with the the rest of the players.

The GLB immediately took us to Monarchy so I revolted and drew a 6 turn anarchy. :(

Turns so far:

After discussion, turn off research. Leave lux @ 20% for now – will push up to 30% once granary is done in Pasargadae. Current +1gpt. Everything looks good.

Turn 130 50 AD

Cats in Bactra take issue with the NM parked on our irrigated plains. After redlining the NM, 4/5 immortal v 1/3 NM – win, -1hp. Cover exposed Immortal with a spear & archer. [1-0]

Send assembled army of 7 cats, 1 spear, 1 archer & 5 immortals against Sulcis.

Cat bombards Galley passing Tyre. Amass small army in Samaria to press on new Carthaginian city in our southern tundra.

IBT – We learn Mysticism. We learn Poly. We learn Monarchy. Hold off our revolt for the end of the turn.

No counterattacks. American sword advances towards Sardis. Carthage brings up 2 more swords near Sulcis to flank our army and the nearby NM moves between our army and Bactra. Another sword advances towards exposed workers to the east of Bactra.

Turn 131 70Ad

Gordium: Cat=>Horse
Tyre: Cat=>Immortal
Samaria: Cat=>Horse

Two cats cleanly miss the sword moving towards our workers. A spear and an archer are sent to the mountain to cover.
Two cats go 1/2 vs NM between Bactra and our army, dropping it 2/3. It is in a curve in the river so I don’t attack.
Army decides to hit the 3 swords building on the flank rather than storming the city. Cats hit 4/7. 4/4 Immortal vs 2/3 sword – lose, -1hp. 4/4 Immortal vs 2/3 sword – win, -3hp, promote elite. 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – win,-2hp. Send two more immortals to bolster the army. [3-1]

Revolt. Draw a 6 turn anarchy. Ouch.
Balance all cities so they do not riot. I think we can also avoid any loss to starvation.
We are at +6gpt for now.

IBT – American sword advances on Sardis. More Carthaginian Swords appear around Sulcis but they avoid our army.

Turn 132 90 AD

Move Cat into Sardis and bomb incoming sword, now 2/3. Count on defending spears to stop the sword.
Cats once more miss the passing sword near Bactra.
Cats bombard NM to 1/3.
Army cats go 2/7. Not good. No advance is possible.
Cat in the South hits, NM is 2/3. 4/4 Immortal vs 2/3 NM – clean win, capture Nora. 2 resisters. Set to worker. [4-1]

IBT – Carthaginian Sword advances towards Antioch. Carthage begins to concentrate its swords on Sulcis but still do not attack our army. American sword retreats.

Turn 133 110AD

Pacify 1 resister in Nora.
Cats finally hit 2/2 vs passing sword. 5/5 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – win, -1hp. [5-1]
Curragh sees spices to our north in ‘American’ land.
Army cats go 4/7 and redline the NM & sword between the army and Bactra. 5/5 Immortal vs 1/3 NM – win, -3hp. [6-1]
Cats in Tyre redline a Carthaginian galley trying to move along our eastern coast. Swap the Immortal build in Tyre to a galley.

4 turns of anarchy remaining.

IBT – Swords continue to concentrate in Sulcis. New Carthaginian Sword moves to threaten Bactra. American sword by Sardis forts to heal. Redlined Carthaginian boat retreats. Disobedience at Nora ends.

Turn 134 130AD

Set Nora to starve with 2 taxmen. Swap worker build to cat.
Cats redline new sword that has moved between Bactra & army near Sulcis. See a chance to withdraw our wounded from Sulcis area. 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – win,-2hp. [7-1]
Army Cats redline exposed sword to cover the retreat of the wounded. Wounded are also covered with a spear and archer.
Army Cats bombard 1/5 at Sulcis and reveal only one NM at 2/3. Should have wounded swords, however. 4/4 Immortal vs 2/3 NM – win,-3hp. 4/4 Immortal vs 2/3 sword – clean win. [9-1]
Shuffle some units. Send a new immortal to help the army as the wounded are evacuated for healing.

3 turns of anarchy remaining.

IBT – The American sword returns for round 2. More Carthaginian swords shuffle outside of Sulcis but leaves a 2/3 sword on top. I watched as at least 2 swords (1/3) ran for cover. There should be good pickings there. Just beautiful.

Turn 135 150AD

Wound immortals continue the retreat for healing.
Cats go into action by Bactra go 0/2. Nice.
Army Cats go1/2 vs Sulcis but all swords there are now redlined. Remaing Cats go 4/5 and redline both swords moving on Bactra. 4/5 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – clean win. GL1! Darius appears. Immortals become Bactra’s Immortals. [10-1]

And the current save.

Attachments

• RSG3 150ADGL.SAV
    168.9 KB · Views: 38
Army, definitely. The FP can wait for better digs, as our original core kinda sucks. I would be curious to try Republic in AW, conventional wisdom says that's a distinct no-no for many reasons. No trading, either for luxuries or cash make it totally hamstrung as a government. Then the war-weariness issue. If we were going to do a government with WW, Feudalism would make more sense, our lack of irrigation in our core is perfect for a government ideal for food-poor countries. All-in-all, Monarchy is still the best choice, and thats what we should do.

I agree with an army. Not so much for the HE, but to give us a more powerful unit. An Immortals army will let us make a lot better progress against the NMs.

I'll finish my turn set tonight. So far it seems we are set for an immortal army.

As the GLB gave us Monarchy I switched governments immediately. I figure we don't want to wait for feud if we are going to let the AI research until Education (without barb huts). Sorry, I thought that decision was already agreed upon. I don't see us drawing Republic from the GLB before our anarchy is over. :(

Turn 135 150AD continued

Darius is used to create an army – Darius’ Immortal Elites – Also known as DIE. Load two immortals. New 8/8 DIE attacks 1/3 sword on a hill – win, -1hp. See 3 swords now that we’re on a hill – all 3/3 swords. [11-1]
At Sulcis – 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – flawless win, promote elite. 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – flawless win. I can’t resist the opportunity and 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – flawless win. [14-1]
Capture city & 2 slaves. One resister (size one city). Put wounded immortal into the city and a 5/5 spear. Only threatening unit is a 3/3 sword at the moment. [14-1]
Sardis – catapult goes 1/1 again and drops the American sword to 2/3.

2 turns of anarchy remaining. We are at +10gpt.

IBT – 3/3 sword attacks Sulcis and dies on our 5/5 spear – but redlines it. Close call! [15-1]
Carthaginian swords shuffle. American sword retreats again. Carthaginian galley is back on the east coast by Tyre.

Turn 136 170AD

Get Heroic Epic message.
Resistance ends at Sulcis.
Nora Starves down to size 1.

Cats in Tyre go 2/2 against the galley and redline it again.
Finish loading the Bactra Immortals into DIE to make it a 11/13 army. Combine with 4 cats, 2 immortals and a spear to move on Leptis Magna.

1 turn of anarchy remaining.

IBT – Sucis riots. My bad.
Carthage is building the SoZ. They are sending all their swords towards Antioch, it looks like.

Turn 137 190AD

Select Monarchy for our government!
Push lux to 30%.
Antioch is 10spt.
Samaria is at 5spt.
Persepolis is at 10spt.
Arbela is at 10spt.
We are at -18gpt.

Cats outside Bactra go 1/3. Not good.
Cats outside Sulcis got 2/2 and redline nearby sword. 5/5 immortal vs 1/3 sword – win, -3hp. [16-1]
Move DIE in such a way as to cut off the invading Carthaginian swords. See a total of 7 swords at the moment.
Swap Antioch to a cat that will be due next turn to get it on cycle, -2fpt this round, then growth.

IBT – Carthage moves move swords and some NM. See a NM & settler moving north.

Turn 138 210AD

Pasargadae: Granary=>Settler
Antioch: Cat=>Cat

Cats by Bactra go 2/4. Heck of time to fail! Lead swords are 2/3 but they are following the mountains towards Antioch.
Move DIE & army next to Leptis Magna.

IBT – Lots of Carthaginian movements. A handful of NM are advancing on Bactra. Four more swords appear around Leptis Magna. Boat appears by Tyre again.

Turn 139 230AD

Persepolis: Immortal=>Horse
Arbela: Immortal=>Horse
Bactra:Spear=>Cat

Cats outside of Bactra go 2/4 again. The swords are starting to stack up, which is not good but it does give time for us to build our forces for a nice welcoming party.
Cats in Tyre go 2/2 against galley again. That thing is never going to get anywhere!
Cats outside Sulcis drop the 2 NM to 2/3.
Gathering units at Antioch for counter attack. By the time they arrive there will be 2 cats, 1 spear, 1 archer, 1 warrior & 3 immortals waiting for them. An additional 4 Immortals will also be able to move from Bactra to attack as well.
Decide to siege Leptis Magna. Cats go 1/4. Great. Top defender is a 3/3 NM. 5/5 Immortal vs 3/3 NM – win, -2hp. GL2! :woohoo: Cyrus appears. New plan forms. I need to take Leptis Magna. :D 4/4 Immortal vs 3/3 NM – win, -2hp. 11/13 DIE vs 2/3 NM – win, -2hp. Capture city. Move Cyrus into the city and build an army. Move back out onto hill with Cats. Retreat DIE and abandon the city. [19-1]

IBT – America moves 2 swords towards Sardis. Need to reinforce that end soon.
Carthage advances 4 of their swords to the outskirts of Antioch. NM advancing on Bactra retreat, but a sword moves onto the open grassland outside Bactra.

Turn 140 250AD

Antioch: Cat=>Cat
Load immortals into new army. Name this Cyrus’ Immortal Army – CIA. Armies hold to heal. Cats gun for nearby sword – go 2/4. Redline it.
Cats outside Bactra redline the invading sword going 2/2, then bombard healing swords and go 0/2. Figures.
Converge some cats to bombard incoming swords by Antioch. Go 2/4. 4/4 Immortal vs 3/3 sword – win, -3hp. 4/4 Immortal vs 3/3 sword – lose, -1hp. 5/5 Immortal vs 2/3 sword – win, -3hp. 5/5 Immortal vs 2/3 sword – win, -1hp. Only 1 sword remaining. 4/4 Immortal vs 1/3 sword – flawless win.
Cat in Sardis hits American sword, which should make it retreat. [23-2]

Ending Notes

There are now two swords sniffing around outside Sardis but we will have three cats there by next turn. I think we need some horses or a few Immortals up there to clean up the riffraff.

The invading Carthaginian swords are now cut off but they were sending a flood of them towards Antioch – this was my fault, I pulled out everything but a warrior there to pick up enough units to go after Leptis Magna. The worker under the mountain tile is almost done with a road which will hopefully give our cats some movement around Bactra without having to waste a turn crossing the river.

There are now two immortal armies – DIE and CIA. Both are healing and are unmoved. I did use the cats to redline the nearby sword. It might be worth the risk to send CIA back towards Bactra to pick up a third immortal. There are two NM that are on the gold hill to the north, they just moved there this round. I didn’t move CIA because there is a road that a sword could use for an attack and there is enough fog of war to hide an incoming sword.

The 3/3 swords seem unwilling to attack a 4/4 spear backed by an archer fortified on a hill.

There is a galley that is rotating back and forth by Tyre. I keep redlining it but we have no ships there that can sink it. I set Tyre to build a galley, due in 3t. I moved the cats out of Tyre to hit the incoming swords, but they can easily move back to fire as needed.

We took 2 cities from Carthage this turn set and destroyed a 3rd. My current plan was going to be to put an end to Cadiz to secure our core and then move on their source of iron. There is also NM & settler up north by Rusaddir that I decided was not worth going after. If you decide to do this, the Cats have already moved two spaces to get to the mountain, so you can’t use them in the attack. Just an FYI.

We are running at 0% science, 30% luxury and -21gpt. We have spices and ivory just beyond our grasp at the moment. Pasargadae is ready to start turning out settlers.

Civilian units:
Settler 0
Workers 10
Slaves 3

Military units:
Warrior 1
Archers 8
Spears 17
Immortals 17 (5 in armies)
Armies 2 (Immortals, 13hp, 9hp)
Catapults 17
Curragh 1

Unit Support:
Total Units: 73
Allowed Units: 24
Support Cost: 49gpt

Enemies/Hit list:
America=>Strong compared to
Carthage=>Strong compared to

Research: 0%. Great Library. Last tech learned: Monarchy.

Roster
Raliuven (just played)
CKS (Playing)
Elephantium (on deck)
creamcheese (warming up)
Aabraxan
Toxicman007
TheOverseer714

Attachments

• RSG3 250AD.SAV
    173.8 KB · Views: 60
I'm really liking our Army units. Some luck on our side there! Although, I think we seem to be lacking in slaves. I know we hate the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean we can't force them to make improvements to our land ;)

Looks great. Thanks for the armies.

I should be able to start playing this afternoon.

I'm thinking we might want to let Carthage build SoZ for us. Also, if Carthage has some good land, do we want to build the FP nearby and then jump the palace into old Carthage? I don't expect either of these to be issues during my turns, but we need some discussion soon.

I'm really liking our Army units. Some luck on our side there! Although, I think we seem to be lacking in slaves. I know we hate the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean we can't force them to make improvements to our land ;)

While there is no disagreement that luck was involved to an extent, I do have to extend the credit to those that came before me. The unit builds and positioning had a lot to do with it. Our large number (and placement) of our catapults are also the reason for my victory count - [23-2]. Our superior swords against their wounded units made for a much larger margin that I would have thought. In addition, our high survivability rate on the attack gave us a lot of elites.

I agonized over razing Leptis Magna because it would have coughed up two slaves but I made the final decision to capture and disband because I needed a city to turn GL2 (Cyrus) into CIA so we could put two armies immediately in the field. In addition, though perhaps stupidly optimistic, I had two more elite battles to fight after GL2.

In hindsight this might have been a panic move because I was worried about the small army of swords that penetrated our lines. Now that the attack has been blunted and our cats are converging, I don't know. In the end I decided we can replace with a settler from our SF that should be running pretty soon. We can also crank our workers if we need them.

Well, I take it back. I need a skip or a swap, please, as I spent the early afternoon going from perfectly fine to feeling really lousy. Even if I'm better in a day or so, I won't have time to play this weekend due to out of town guest; Tuesday is the first time I expect to be able to play again.

Hope you feel better CKS! I hate going from zero=>crap in 8 hours.

Updated Roster
Raliuven (just played)
Elephantium (Swap - Playing)
CKS (Swap - on deck)
creamcheese (warming up/possibly on deck)
Aabraxan
Toxicman007
TheOverseer714

Pre-turn:

Swap Sulcis to Cat (no 'rax) and Bactra to Spear (building a cat with a 'rax).

Since our unit support is so high, I decide to risk a couple of units. Immo kills Sword next to Antioch.

IBT:

Sidon: Cats
Sardis: Cats

Turn 1 (260 AD):

All I really do is bombard some enemy troops.

IBT:

Persepolis: Horseman > Settler
Pas: Settlers
Arbela: Horses

Turn 2 (270 AD):

Immo kills Sword next to Bactra, promotes
Archer kills Sword next to Sardis, promotes
Archer kills Sword near Bactra, promotes
CIA kills Sword next to Bactra
Immo kills Sword near Bactra, promotes

IBT:

Antioch: Immos
Bactra: Spear > Immo
Tyre: Galley > Immo
Sardis riots :blush:
Samaria: Horses

Turn 3 (280 AD):

Bombard and kill American Sword near Sardis.
Cadiz:
Cats go 3/4.
DIE kills NM and a Sword.

IBT:

Two Carthaginian Swords move next to Bactra.

Turn 4 (290 AD):

Cadiz:
Cats go 1/4. No attacks this turn.

Defense of Bactra: Cats go 3/6. Immos kill the two Swords that moved next to the city.

Rusaddir: Cats go 2/4.
eImmo kills NM
vImmo kills NM and razes the city. That nets us 8 new slaves! :D

IBT:

Carthaginian Sword kills a Spear next to Bactra.
Americans want to talk :lol:
Persepolis: Settlers
Arbela: Horses
Gordium: Horse > Immo

Turn 5 (300 AD):

Near Bactra: Cats go 4/6.
eImmo and eArcher kill off the two Carthaginian swords there.

Cadiz: Cats go 1/4, then CIA kills NM and takes the city.

IBT:

Pas: Settlers
Antioch: Immos

Turn 6 (310 AD):

We Bombard a NM next to Cadiz and kill it with CIA.

IBT:

Cadiz riots.

Turn 7 (320 AD):

eImmo kills stray Sword near Cadiz.

Seattle: Cats bombard, Immo kills 2/3 Spear, Archer kills 1/3 Spear and razes the city.

IBT:

Arbela: Horseman > Immortals
Sidon: Cat > rax

Turn 8 (330 AD):

We bombard and kill a NM coming in towards Bactra.

Hamadan founded N of Sardis.

IBT:

Persepolis: Settlers
Antioch: Immortals > Wealth
Tyre: Immortals > Harbor
Sardis: Catapult > Wealth

Turn 9 (340 AD):

Simply moving troops...

IBT:

Near Sulcis:
Carthaginian Sword kills Spear
Carthaginian Sword dies on Immo

Bactra: Immos > Wealth

Turn 10 (350 AD):

eArcher kills the Sword that killed our Spear.
Ergili founded near the Ivory at Sulcis.

Lux slider to 10% due to the Ivory; -13gpt.

I see orange borders N of American lands.

Handoff notes:

I have a lot of Wealth builds because we're running such a severe deficit. The next player should be able to change them once we get a few more towns captured/built.

I have forces in place to attack Rusicade, and Leptis Minor on the next turn. There's also a force approaching Atlanta, including a roading crew to secure the Spices ASAP.

There is a Settler between Sulcis and Cadiz; it should build in place next turn.

Carthage has a settler pair on the peninsula N of Sidon; I expect that they're going after the Spices there.

I'm not sure if CKS has recovered yet. How about whomever posts the got it first between CKS and creamcheese gets the next turn and then the other goes next in the roster. Then we'll be at Aabraxan. Hopefully that will keep the game moving. :D

Updated Roster
Raliuven
Elephantium (just played)
CKS (Playing/On deck?)
creamcheese (Playing/On deck?)
Aabraxan (warming up)
Toxicman007
TheOverseer714

Our little empire is looking damn sexy right now. What about that island in the west? Are we going to add it soon, or should we keep focusing on cleansing our continent of the heathens?

I'd love to colonize that island, but we shouldn't do that too soon. We'll need about a dozen troops on garrison duty there in case of AI landings. We can't really spare that right now, but that will probably change after Carthage is gone.

Poor Hannibal. He fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never let Persia hook up iron when death is on the line"!

I like the island but I agree with Elephantium. The AI just loves to harass islands. Until it is well in our zone of control (and we have plenty of shipping capacity) - or to deny its iron to our enemies - it’s probably best to leave it alone.

I'm not sure if CKS has recovered yet. How about whomever posts the got it first between CKS and creamcheese gets the next turn and then the other goes next in the roster. Then we'll be at Aabraxan. Hopefully that will keep the game moving. :D

Updated Roster
Raliuven
Elephantium (just played)
CKS (Playing/On deck?)
creamcheese (Playing/On deck?)
Aabraxan (warming up)
Toxicman007
TheOverseer714

Okay, it may be bad manners to reply to your own posting but . . .

So far no 'got-it'. I know CKS was sick and creamcheese hasn't been on in about two weeks. Aabraxan or Toxicman007 - do either of you want to swap in and play a turn set?

Top Bottom