UI scaling/ increase font size?

4nGeLuS

Chieftain
Is there a way, perhaps in the ini, to increase the font size a little bit? If not, there should be.

I am having the same problem. I'm unable to play the game on my TV gaming rig at all, which is a problem since it's the only gaming setup I have. Until this is fixed I unfortunately can't play at all. I don't even mind an ugly, intricate fix, but I need some way for it to be playable.

I'm looking into this now, if it's the same as Civ5 I'll post back in a big...a bit too small on my 4k screen.-

Hmmm, things have changed, however the fonticons files look promising, but a lot of editing will be needed. I'll do some tests see if these are actually controlling font sizes.

This was a pain but possible in civ5 (I ended up editing the individual glyphs for the numbers to just make them bigger, along with changing the entire smallest two fonts to large, but there were a lot of text clipping issues). The maps are just so good in 4k I hate going back to 1080p.

Well I was able to move the icons around a bit. But so far just changing the size numbers of the individual glyphs does not make them noticeably bigger like it did in Civ5 :(. Going to need some poking around I think. The actual sizes that are specified to be displayed may be somewhere else as unlike in Civ5 all the glyph sizes in this file are the same so maybe just placeholders or something.

So typical of a lot of games especially older ones that just seem to assume everyone has nice young good eyes. A small amount of thought could have made this so easy. At least some of the newer games I've tried (e.g. GalCiv3) have some UI size options.

Thanks for checking on this, darkskies. I have a 27" 2560x1440 display and there is no way I'm gonna run the game in 1080p just to make the fonts easier on my eyes. UI Scaling should be in every game, in my opinion, or at least font scaling.

Please someone, come up with some kind of mod for this. Also, email 2k support, as they forward bug reports and feature requests to the devs. This can be done very easily through support.2k.com. I've already sent a couple of messages to them.

There's a post on Reddit about editing the font sizes in Styles.xml. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks plausible.

I'm baffled how they left out any sort of UI scaling for resolution. It's 2014, people, some of us own screens bigger than 1024x768.

Thanks for finding this. I was about to give up looking glad someone else persevered. Like that proverbial needle.

I upped all the smallest fonts to 16 and can see the difference in some things, unfortunately not yet the top line of the HUD (or maybe was increased but too small to notice) which is one of the worst. When I figure out which one effects it I'll post back.

Edit: Ok I upped the three smallest to 22, and all the others less than 20 to 20, and now the HUD is much more readable, though I may up these a little more, but getting there. The good news is that the various text boxes all seem to expand and so far I don't see any text overflow.

Edit again:
I found some text clipping issues in the city screen, makes it hard to read the number of turns it will take to build buildings with long names for example. I can live with this though, and how bad it is will depend on how much bigger the fonts are made. I've upped them quite a bit for my 4k 58" monitor which is about 3' from me (and I'll admit my vision isn't what it used to be ;) ). There may be similar clipping/overflow for other things that appear on the right hand side of the screen. It may be possible to shift the starting locations of these pop ups and widen them, if I do that I'll post back. In fact I'd also like to move some of the stuff on the far left towards the center since some of that is still hard to read because it's slightly farther away do my having sit slightly offset...then I wouldn't have to lean in...but still a big improvement I think I'll be able to play seriously now!

Hi, weird question here. Would it be possible to transfer CivBE font system into CivV? So that game would use external font as in CivBE. Using string <UseExtendedFont> makes every font look aweful. Thanks very much for any response.

Can someone please elaborate on replacing these file names? Sorry I'm not very tech savvy. I want the fonts bigger on Civ 5. They are just so extremely small. I tried renaming TwCentMT14 and others smaller than 20 to 22. Because there is already a 22 it renamed it to TwCentMT22 (2). Am I supposed to be deleting something at this point? After doing this, the game crashes after intro video. When I revert back to original files, the game runs fine. I'm running the game on my surface pro 4 with Windows 10.
I also tried lowering resolution in the game options. When I do that I can't touch screen or use the mouse correctly. It's almost as if I can only click in the upper left of the screen. Strange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom