Rage quitting

HughFran

Prince
Just curious to know how often you guys rage quit a game? The reason I ask is because I woke up today and laughed at my behaviour yesterday when I rage quit because I was beat to a Wonder with one build turn left. The funny thing is, I was in a pretty good position regardless of getting this particular wonder but my rage got the better of me!

So I was wondering, what is the stupidest reasons you've had for rage quitting Civ 5 and how often do you do it?

Just curious to know how often you guys rage quit a game? The reason I ask is because I woke up today and laughed at my behaviour yesterday when I rage quit because I was beat to a Wonder with one build turn left. The funny thing is, I was in a pretty good position regardless of getting this particular wonder but my rage got the better of me!

So I was wondering, what is the stupidest reasons you've had for rage quitting Civ 5 and how often do you do it?

All sorts of childish crap if I was in the wrong frame of mind:

...because a city got settled just as I arrived with my settler
...because I got beat to a religion, having been waiting for a prophet long after the minimum chance
...even because somebody found a ruin before my scout could reach it!

Happily I don't usually behave like that. Honest!

Well I don't think I have ever rage quit a game but I have given up on games that I know I will lose. If anything what I do is rage IGE. Not that long ago I was in a game that wasn't going good and I had failed to keep an eye on my happiness so I soon found myself around -8 when I had a lux banned, lost out on Notre Dame by 1 turn, and a recently acquired city that I had converted to my religion so I could buy a Pagoda converted back to some heathen religion that pushed me way beyond -10. The world felt my wraith as I played god via the editor and it was glorious!!

I'll say I'm not a good player by the standards and thought processes of the majority of posters here.

Really I play more to build wonders and make my lands pretty. If I get a certain kind of terrain in the beginning, and think "This would be an awesome city with Petra," then I aim to that for example. Or it could be Machu Picchu.

If I don't get it, then I'm likely to say screw it and quit the game.

Another situation in which I quit fairly often is when there is a runaway civ on another continent.

Just not going to grind through 10 or 12 Shaka cities to win the game militarily. In that situation I guess you could go with a science, cultural or diplomatic victory, but it just seems hollow with just two actors or so left at that point.

People are different, but I can't imagine anything more boring than grinding through a bunch of cities (yeah I know you only need capitols, but most of the time you have to clear out a bunch of trash cities to reach one) to win a domination victory. Actually if it looks like I could win that way, or it is my best option I'll usually quit.

I just rolled a map with arabia thinking I'd go domination.... I've never seen a map covered with more hills, mountains and rivers.

I find domination on Deity an exercise in frustration lol. I usually just wait for artillery or like frigates to do anything, otherwise it feels like you have to exploit the game to get anywhere since the AI has a limitless supply of buffed units. It is pretty funny to watch good players on youtube do domination against the AI though, but I can't watch their entire game it's like 15 hours.

I wouldn't call it rage quitting but I quit games all the time for several different reasons.

Two big ones are probably:

1.) I went into a game wanted to play a very specific way (say using Horse Archers with Atilla for example) and the map spawn just makes it absolutely a terrible option and continuing the game I'd need to play completely differently.

2.) I'm simply not happy with my empire at a given point in time. That doesn't mean I'm losing... just not happy with it. I tend to play wide games and a lot can go wrong compared to a safer, easier 4 city Tradition. To me, the journey is more important than the destination in this game. Even if I know I will win, if I'm not enjoying a game, I'm not going to sit through another 100 turns of it.

Some good answers so far. I tend to rage quit when I get a technology that reveals a strategic resource (Iron, Coal, Aluminum, Oil, etc) only to find none on my land while the AI has an abundant supply. Coal and oil are particularly annoying. With coal, I want to build factories to get to an ideology first. With oil, you can really get your ass kicked if you have no oil and the nearest AI bombards you with bombers (no fighters to counter) until you b-line ballistics.

I wouldn't call it rage quitting every time, slightly miffed would be more appropriate lol! As others have said, a runaway Civ on another continent can be very infuriating. It's definitely harder to plan an invasion in Civ 5 than it was in Civ 4

I don't rage quit at all in Civ5.
I may quit out of boredom which usually happens when its clear the AI can't stop my army or is too busy infighting while my culture runs-away but as far as I am concerned I have already won at those points and am just going through the motions rather than 'playing'

A lot of the reasons listed can be fixed by war and in G&K having a lot of cities is a fantastic boon but I could understand if you wanted to avoid war. Honestly though, if you are rich enough you can actually buy an AI city, you don't always have to go to war in order to gain a city. You can always trade for resources like coal as well, I mean the trade option does exist.

That said I think the biggest quitting reason that is probably more common than anyone is willing to admit is being DoWed when you have no army. I have played multiplayer so I know this to be true!

I'm with HughFran about the lack of strategic resources. I had one game where I had no iron or horses but I kept on playing. Then later found I had no aluminum, oil, or coal. None of them. And the only sources were on the other side of the map. So I said the heck with it and started a new game.

Other times I've quit early is when playing as Arabia or Mongolia and I don't have any horses. What good are those two civs without horses? Or Elizabeth without iron. I know I can set the game up for strategic balance, but I usually like to play with legendary start.

Being DOWd early is another reason like x2Madda mentioned. I've had a few games where I was attacked really early and I only had a few archers. It was king level and I was DOWd around turn 50 or something and the AI sent a huge army (I think it was Shaka).

Speaking of Shaka--I quit a game early last night. I was playing as the Incas and it was a great salt start. Unfortunately, I met Shaka on turn 2 and his capital was only 8 tiles away. I said the heck with it and quit on around turn 5. I just don't like having to war with Shaka early in the game and concentrate on units instead of empire building.

Totally agree with all of your points docbud! Having war declared on you when you aren't prepared is in my top 3 reasons for rage quitting. Granted, I normally have a decent size army to deal with any potential invaders but every once in a while you get caught with your pants down and get spanked lol. What angers me about the higher levels is that even when you wipe out about 10 units, they just keep coming and coming. If I feel like I'm going to get bogged down into a long drawn out war and have no way of getting an advantage (such as bad terrain, location, etc) I might rage quit.

Lack of resources for a Civ that relys on a particular resource is infuriating. I've seen games where all I have in my army are Pikemen and CBs because I have no iron or horses.

Forward settling by the AI can make me see red as well sometimes lol. It's worse when you can see their settler coming towards you and you ask them not to settle but they ignore you. I've said this in previous threads but it is probably my number one reason for declaring war (I normally play peaceful). My number two reason is probably religion spammers who convert all your cities.

Speaking of Shaka--I quit a game early last night. I was playing as the Incas and it was a great salt start. Unfortunately, I met Shaka on turn 2 and his capital was only 8 tiles away. I said the heck with it and quit on around turn 5. I just don't like having to war with Shaka early in the game and concentrate on units instead of empire building.
Funny, I had a game like that. In my case I was Maya. Cool Salt start with river, cost and mountain. Hard to get a better start. Cost was contact with Shaka on turn 2-3. Not only that, Shaka forward settled me hard, so the only spots left was some tundra on the north :(

Wanted to ragequit, but decided to see what will happen. Used my salt to bribe shaka to look the other way. Before you know it, everyone on the map hated shaka, so when I had a couple of XBs, I denouced and attacked Shaka. Killed him fast as he was a mess from all the fighting. Noone cared that Shaka was gone. I also resurected Washington. Got a loyal friend for the rest of the game.

When I ragequit? Resources. Iron, horses.

I just rage quit a game. I had all but destroyed Boadicea she had just two small cities left, but I needed my units to go fight off Napoleon. So I made peace with her and I sent in a great profit and converted her two cities, and used an inquisitor to eradicate the last vestiges of her religion.

So with my religion everywhere I felt fine about leaving her alone. Than some 100+ turns later (marathon) she puts out a great profit and starts turning my cities to her, I thought, eradicated religion. I didn't even know that could happen as I usually wipe out any civilization I attack. I was already number one in everything anyway except tech (but gaining rapidly) and had Ethiopia on the run (and France out of the game) so I just gave up in disgust. So back to my policy of total destruction of all foes.

Speaking of salt starts, if I have one it seems 9 out of 10 times there will be a very close aggressive neighbor...maybe coincidence but I think there may be something in the script to compensate for such a good start.

I sometimes play those game when you get attacked very early when you have only a very few units...it can be fun though usually I'll quit them after I beat that opponent as my empire will be just too far behind everyone else by then.

One game I once was on an island with mountains and nowhere to go except one direction and that was another civ just a few tiles away who attacked me before I even had time to build my first unit...that was fun, I managed to keep him off with my warrior, and a scout I had started building first thing, until I managed to build an archer, but by the time I won I was so far behind everyone it made deity level seem like a fair, even start by comparison.

I just rage quit again. Decent start as Inca. Egypt and Spain forward settled in my face on turn 25.

How in the heck am I supposed to compete with crap like that? And don't even get me going on being -2 gold on turn 20 when all I have is my scout and original warrior.

And that game was on King level. My hat is off to you folks who play Immortal and Deity. It must take a lot of patience to play at that level.

I just rage quit again. Decent start as Inca. Egypt and Spain forward settled in my face on turn 25.

How in the heck am I supposed to compete with crap like that? And don't even get me going on being -2 gold on turn 20 when all I have is my scout and original warrior.

And that game was on King level. My hat is off to you folks who play Immortal and Deity. It must take a lot of patience to play at that level.

Well Shrines and Monuments cost 1 gold per turn.

My hat is off to you folks who play Immortal and Deity. It must take a lot of patience to play at that level.

I only play immortal the odd time, I normally play Emperor - the higher the level, the more likely I am to rage quit as the game becomes less enjoyable and more of a slog to stay ahead (or to stay in it at all). I know some would argue that this is part of the fun but not for me. I am not a hardcore gamer so I just don't have the patience to watch playthroughs and become the Master of the Universe at Civ. I want to fire it on, play a few hours and maybe come back to it a week later.

Forward settling is a :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) though!

Top Bottom