Are free buildings maintenance free?

luckyshuffle

Chieftain
If you get a free building from a wonder or social policy
I know it is free as in , you didn't have to pay :hammers: to build it.
But , is it also free as in, you have no maintenance on it?

Thanks.

Also note that free / no maintenance buildings can't be sold.

I always assumed the free refered to the maintenance cost, never too the build cost.

It's both. Free buildings (e.g., free Library from Great Library, free Monuments (or other culture buildings) from Landed Elite, etc.) appear instantly (no hammer "tax" and no multi-turn delays) and are maintenance free from that point forward.

free Monuments (or other culture buildings) from Landed Elite, etc.)

*Legalism, not landed elite.

And instead of just being a dink about a simple mistake, I'll add this...

If you already have all of the culture buildings in your first 4 cities, your broadcast tower does not suddenly become "free" when you adopt legalism.

Derp, yep Legalism.

As for the broadcast towers point, are you saying that if you have a monument, amphitheater, opera house and museum in your first 4 cities, and then take Legalism, you don't get free broadcast towers? Do you get nothing? Or do you get the free towers, but they aren't maintenance free?

(I confess I've never delayed Legalism that long....)

I used to delete Broadcast Towers the turn before CN Tower completes -- but that is not necessary. Completing the wonder gives you gold from the selling the towers. I have to imagine that late-game Legalism works the same way.

Why would someone delay Legalism until so late in the game?

However tradition isn't worth taking as a second tree, but... Let's not make this another one of those threads.

What Chum is saying is if you have built them all INCLUDING towers the towers don't become free.
However say I'm going tradition and I've already built a monument in the capital, I'll usually sell it before adopting the policy for 6 gold and to save on maintenance.

Well, speaking of rehashing threads…
However say I'm going tradition and I've already built a monument in the capital, I'll usually sell it before adopting the policy for 6 gold and to save on maintenance.
You would be better off taking the free Amphitheater.

Derp, yep Legalism.

As for the broadcast towers point, are you saying that if you have a monument, amphitheater, opera house and museum in your first 4 cities, and then take Legalism, you don't get free broadcast towers? Do you get nothing? Or do you get the free towers, but they aren't maintenance free?

(I confess I've never delayed Legalism that long....)

I'm saying if you have monument, amphitheater, opera house, museum and a broadcast tower, your broadcast tower does not become free. So you get nothing. You can get free broadcast towers in your example however.

I used to delete Broadcast Towers the turn before CN Tower completes -- but that is not necessary. Completing the wonder gives you gold from the selling the towers. I have to imagine that late-game Legalism works the same way.

It does not. It was an interesting development too, because I thought that's how it would work as well.

Why would someone delay Legalism until so late in the game?

AckenMod. If you start with Liberty, it's very easy to reach a point in the game where the best policies remaining are in Tradition. Regardless of why I did it, it was still an interesting development I thought I should share, because I doubt anyone else has ever saw it!

^^And thank you for sharing. I've never used the AckenMod (I've got the Apple Store version of Civ V), nor played liberty too much.

^^And thank you for sharing. I've never used the AckenMod (I've got the Apple Store version of Civ V), nor played liberty too much.
I was under the impression that Acken's mod was a DLL mod. If you are not running the game on a windows machine, DLL mods won't work for you (although I have heard there are 'Windows emulators' that can be used on Mac, etc, but I don't know if those allow use of DLL on a Mac, etc).

I've never used the AckenMod (I've got the Apple Store version of Civ V), nor played liberty too much.
Have you gotten other mods to work? I gather it is possible, just a bit fidgety.

I was under the impression that Acken's mod was a DLL mod.
Yes, but there is a subset that will load for Mac users. I only have personal experience with an earlier version, but I am still subscribed, and it recently updated for me.
If you are not running the game on a windows machine, DLL mods won't work for you
Correct. All the really interesting mods use DLLs.
I have heard there are 'Windows emulators' that can be used on Mac, etc, but I don't know if those allow use of DLL on a Mac, etc.
Yes, Boot Camp and Windows emulators allow use of DLL on a Mac, etc.

^^I've never gotten any kind of mods to work, and I gave up trying, to be honest.

I just use the Mac OS and don't use Boot Camp or anything, and probably won't. I can't see installing it just to play one game.

Top Bottom