Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Good to hear Civ IV is on the way. Another year to wait but I'm more than happy to play civ III in the mean time.

If they're going to just use civIII's music again, I hope they use that martial tune that is heard at the beginning of Rise of Rome. It's my personal civ-music favorite.

I guess, they've just removed the link to the music from the media section. However the link that was there still works.. .. .. :hmm:

" 19 playable civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV "

What means playable? There are more than 19 civs, but we only can play 19?

mhIdA said:
" 19 playable civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV "

What means playable? There are more than 19 civs, but we only can play 19?

It simply means that there will probably be 19 Civilizations in the game.

BTW, if the music thing doesn't get cleared up soon, I'll be removing it as well.

Blackbird_SR-71 said:
19 civs and 1 barbarian civ probably for 20 slots.
Barbarians need to be redone! I miss the old days of CivII when barbs could capture cities. There should also be a way to "pay off" the barbs before they invade or something....... but this is the wrong thread for that.

Civrules
You must agree that: "19 playable civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV" is not the same of "19 civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV"

This reminds Mesoamerican and Napoleonic Europe C3C scenarios with several non playable civilizations like Toltecs and Olmecs, in the first scenario or Sweden and Netherlands, in second. Something to confirm I guess.

mhIdA said:
Civrules
You must agree that: "19 playable civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV" is not the same of "19 civilizations will be featured in Civilization IV"

This reminds Mesoamerican and Napoleonic Europe C3C scenarios with several non playable civilizations like Toltecs and Olmecs, in the first scenario or Sweden and Netherlands, in second. Something to confirm I guess.
Why in the world would Firaxis put non-playable civs in a largely multiplayer game? It makes absolutely no sense. I think its safe to say that there are 19 civs and those 19 civs are playable.

mhIdA said:
Civrules

The phrase "# playable Civilizations have been included" has been used ever since the first Civilization III came out, both by the companies and players. It's widely accepted to mean the total number of Civilizations.

Civrules said:
The phrase "# playable Civilizations have been included" has been used ever since the first Civilization III came out, both by the companies and players. It's widely accepted to mean the total number of Civilizations.
What is being discussed is C4, not C3. Therefore we do not KNOW what terms they are referring to (yet).

Nineteen civs can be played by humans in a single multiplayer game as far as we know. After all, it is (almost) all marketing hype and speculation (even from Firaxis) at this point, and who knows what will change by release date.

While I appreciate such speculation and build-up of anticipation for the game at this point, once I get the game a large part of the enjoyment will be the new mysteries and discovering how things really work. I hope that almost nothing will be "certain", so that the AI is not totally predictable in ANY aspect; whether it is diplomacy, unit deployment, or tile improvement. Once the game is distilled to a "science" and events become predictable it loses a lot of its charm (one of the reasons I like high high plague and volcano settings).

Jaybe said:
What is being discussed is C4, not C3. Therefore we do not KNOW what terms they are referring to (yet).

I still can't understand how the word "playable" manages to confuse anyone.
But anyway. :)

Nineteen civs can be played by humans in a single multiplayer game as far as we know. After all, it is (almost) all marketing hype and speculation (even from Firaxis) at this point, and who knows what will change by release date.

What hype though? As far as I can tell we’ve had nothing from Firaxis or even 2K that can be considered as hype. All they are telling us is small details... There have not even been any online screenshots or previews! :D

Civrules said:
I still can't understand how the word "playable" manages to confuse anyone.
But anyway. :)
I cant either. How can anyone think that Firaxis would create civs that wouldnt be playable? There is absolutely no point (unless CivIV is just one big scenario and they disabled random maps which I almost know for a fact they didnt/wont).

Jaybe said:

While I appreciate such speculation and build-up of anticipation for the game at this point, once I get the game a large part of the enjoyment will be the new mysteries and discovering how things really work. I hope that almost nothing will be "certain", so that the AI is not totally predictable in ANY aspect; whether it is diplomacy, unit deployment, or tile improvement. Once the game is distilled to a "science" and events become predictable it loses a lot of its charm (one of the reasons I like high high plague and volcano settings).
yes, after years of playing a certain game you learn the AI strategies and it becomes less and less fun each game. I have started modding again to try and create a more fun (and difficult) AI as well as add some new features that humans will enjoy and appreciate (such as electricity and mercenaries).

19 playable civs, 1 barbarian "civ". 20 slots, like Civrules deduced. I'm sure that's what it is.

The confusion about playable word is because:
- English is not my native language and in my language there is a big diference if we join this word.
- Having on this forum for a several months I'd never noted this expression until now.
- Reading about minor civs and see C3C scenarios I made my conclusion.
After this discussion, I'm pretty much clarify.

Is not so big deal to me how many civs are in the game, since it come out with others features I enjoy. But the fact of only 19 civs are in Civ4, make me hope this don't means add-ons to come later a la PTW and C3C, wich is a bad way of Firaxis or Take2 just to make money fast. I don't gonna see a movie not finish yet or buy something else with many faults, just because is something new.

It's more than came with Civ3. How many do we really need?

And I for one look forward to expansion packs.

I don´t know anything about CIV IV. Something that I want is to "group units".

I´m talking about take 5 workers, group them and send to clear polution "quickly".

Now I´m playing a CIV III game, year 1998, and I spend 50% of my time moving workers. Automate is not a solution. :mad:

Obviously, English isn´t my first language

Top Bottom