Sometimes "Random" is a jackass

earthwulf

Warlord
7 times trying a random map/civ... the only time I'll reroll is if it's a civ I've played before.

7 times, I get Nebuchadnezzar. Who I've already played as.

The 8th? Morocco. On tundra.

Grrrr.

Yepp!

Pocatello
Pocatello
Hiawatha
Hiawatha
Gajah Mada
Pocatello

I was playing on a TSL map and I kind of wanted to start in Europe :/

Some bad combos I've had before - random leader, random map, this usually gets me to reroll

Mongol on archipelago with no CS on my smallish island, and meeting Polynesia a handful of turns later

England on archipelago, except again no CS and the closest thing next to me, prior to astronomy, was about 80 tiles away (there were a bunch of stuff across a one-tile ocean trench... I could see the outlines but not the actual cities)

Polynesia on pangaea on what looked like low water level.

So on so forth. Random is a real pain sometimes.

I think that they should add a new type of random to the game.
When you click random the game selects that random nation BEFORE the game starts, so you can reclick random until you are happy with the choice. I am sick of playing Napoleon and can't make up my mind on what to play next. :)

One of the things I was really hoping would be in the expansion was a custom random option, where you could choose random civ or map but if there was one civ or map you were sick of and tired of playing you could remove them from the pool, basically random within a certain set.

Alas, this was not to be.

One of the things I was really hoping would be in the expansion was a custom random option, where you could choose random civ or map but if there was one civ or map you were sick of and tired of playing you could remove them from the pool, basically random within a certain set.

Alas, this was not to be.

+1

And I'm typing here because, apparently, "+1" is too short

I play all random too! :D Before BNW it felt like I was rolling Denmark something like 50% of the time. I also got Babylon and Korea a lot too. Since BNW it's always Venice. Venice, Venice, Venice! :(

I chuckled when i random USA,then China and finally Russia. That happiness turned to rage when i proceed to get the US and China again and again.
Sometimes i wonder if Random is rigged, Songhai, Mongols, Poland and Morocco seem to keep popping up. On the other hand, some Civs are so rare that in 500 hours of random Civ, i have only seen them once or twice like India, Sweden, Egypt and the Dutch.

RNG picks India for me more than any other, which used to annoy me, but just did one in BNW and they are built to make it work...large cities with no happiness issues and plenty of pop to fill up the GWAM buildings.

I play all random too! :D Before BNW it felt like I was rolling Denmark something like 50% of the time. I also got Babylon and Korea a lot too. Since BNW it's always Venice. Venice, Venice, Venice! :(

I used to roll Denmark a lot too. Everyone - this is an issue that happens with the game. Sometimes you have to "reset" the random selection. You can do this during the game setup. Select an actual Civ (just pick the first one), then select random civ again. I do this every time I start a new game, and it helps to getting a true "random" pick.

I think that they should add a new type of random to the game.
When you click random the game selects that random nation BEFORE the game starts, so you can reclick random until you are happy with the choice. I am sick of playing Napoleon and can't make up my mind on what to play next. :)

This guy is on to something.

But yea I gave up on random. Now I just scroll through the leaders screen and see who im most interested in. Even if I want to play as someone sometimes the map is just plain crap. It takes me a couple tries to find a leader and map I'm interested in. Although it hasn't happened yet in BNW because I'm still trying to finish a game with all the new civs. I got Morrocco so far with Poland being one im just about to finish.

Grrr. My Morocco game (there were some desert tiles nearby) has given me: 1 iron plot (for 2 iron), no coal except an empty plot next to a rival's city, no oil, and no aluminum, and no uranium. My tall empire is spreading wider than I like.

Sometimes, "random number generators" are biased. The number generated can be a multiple of some factor associated with the CPU.

Sometimes, "random number generators" are biased. The number generated can be a multiple of some factor associated with the CPU.

No such thing as a 'true' random number where computers are concerned, unless they take some external input as a factor.

I agree that the randomness is a bit off. Having said that, the 'shuffle' on my car's HiFi USB stick reader has the same problem. It keeps a very similar sequence (and does not remember so starts again each trip). It is mainly a product of lazy programming in my experience, although I have no knowledge of this one.

Who is going to write a simple web page to generate the proper selectable random requirements for a CIV game that will lead to a balanced game? The ad revenue may be worth it, not sure... :lol:

The first all-random I played, I distinctly remember getting Polynesia... on Archipelago. Amazing luck, or is this how random usually works out, I wondered.

Very next all-random: England on Great Plains. At least the Longbows were useful.

And other than that very first pair of games, I really don't remember random being that night-and-day for back-to-back games.

Finished my Moroccan game! Wound up being kinda fun. Rolled another random... hey there, Morocco! Long time no see...

Top Bottom