So, A Hand Ax(e) upgrades to a... Knight

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
Not that I ever gave it much thought, but in my current game I ended up with two. So I held on to them for quite a few turns to see what they would up grade to- I guessed a crossbow.

However, no. They eventually become a knight.

They replace Chariots. Isn't that what a Chariot upgrades to?

If you look in the civilopedia it says it's a barbarian replacement for the chariot archer

That's because they have Hand Axes.

Kinda off topic, but I was playing the zulus today and was surprised to see that the impis were upgrading to riflemen. Shouldn't they upgrade to lancers since they replace the pikemen?

Kinda off topic, but I was playing the zulus today and was surprised to see that the impis were upgrading to riflemen. Shouldn't they upgrade to lancers since they replace the pikemen?

No. The Ikanda upgrades are only allowed on foot soldiers (warriors, spearmen, Impi, swordsmen, etc) and not mounted or ranged. If it went to lancers they would lose their buffs.

(I'll preface this by stating that I haven't played BNW yet or seen this unit, only read about it here)

Is it just me that finds it incredibly odd that there is a unit named "Hand Axe"? Is the graphic for it just a floating axe? Shouldn't the Pikeman be named "Pike", then?

The name is indeed very uncreative

That's right, Hand Axe upgrades to knights. Firaxis seems to love their bad unit upgrade paths. The joke's on them though, i have promotion saving enabled just for hand axes when i play as germany :p So i never promote them until I'm ready to upgrade mine to knights then give em promos.

Nice to know. My Zulu game didn't last long enough to upgrade my Impis. In fact, the only reason it reached the Industrial era at all was so that I could research Industrialism, rush buy 3 Factories, and start an ideology (I think it was Order IIRC) for the sole purpose of getting the achievement for a Domination Victory with a particular ideology. My Impis and Crossbowmen were parked outside Honolulu for about 20 turns waiting for the new Communist regime to give the greenlight to invade Kamehameha's tiki bars and hula dancers! The two shot long range Crossbowmen were upgraded to Gatling Guns just in time for the invasion as well!

Okay. Can we just pretend that this thread was intended for people who may not know everything about BNW?

remember: this isn't "Civ Casual Players," it's "Civ Fanatics."

Okay. Can we just pretend that this thread was intended for people who may not know everything about BNW?

Out of curiosity, how did you think the conversation would go in that case? "I didn't know that either" "Me neither" and so on?

Top Bottom