-DEBATE- Should Firaxis add the "get your soliders off my borders?"

I just want the parameters of the promise to be a little bit more transparent. You shouldn't have to scour through internet forums just to get a clue about what you promised. Heck, even after reading about this promise a zillion times, I don't know the exact terms (how long does it last? what counts as a hostile action by the AI to relieve you of your promise?). It's truly silly that you can "break a promise" when you don't know what you've promised. A real contract or promise doesn't work this way.

I have answered this in another thread already, but here it goes again:

Military Promise lasts for 20 turns regardless of game speed.

Code:
// Military Promise
	if(IsPlayerMadeMilitaryPromise(eLoopPlayer))
	{
		ChangePlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer, 1);

// Expired?
		if(GetPlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer) > 20)
		{
			SetPlayerMadeMilitaryPromise(eLoopPlayer, false);
			SetPlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer, -1);
		}
	}

I have answered this in another thread already, but here it goes again:

Military Promise lasts for 20 turns regardless of game speed.

Code:
// Military Promise
	if(IsPlayerMadeMilitaryPromise(eLoopPlayer))
	{
		ChangePlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer, 1);

// Expired?
		if(GetPlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer) > 20)
		{
			SetPlayerMadeMilitaryPromise(eLoopPlayer, false);
			SetPlayerMilitaryPromiseCounter(eLoopPlayer, -1);
		}
	}

Thanks. I guess I'm a bit peeved that we have to look in the code to figure out what we've promised. Do you happen to know which AI actions free you from your obligation? Several games ago I figured out (by random chance) that an AI plopping a GG on my land allowed me to DOW without breaking my promise, but I'm not sure what else frees you.

Thanks. I guess I'm a bit peeved that we have to look in the code to figure out what we've promised. Do you happen to know which AI actions free you from your obligation? Several games ago I figured out (by random chance) that an AI plopping a GG on my land allowed me to DOW without breaking my promise, but I'm not sure what else frees you.

Most likely, the counter went down to zero. I do not remember seeing any block of code "freeing" any player from any promise; on the contrary, once the promise is set, it's in stone until counter runs out or promise is broken. But when I have more time, I may check if I find such thing.

What is missing for sure is a notification for when the promise's counter goes to zero (as in the expansion promise), but that can only be done modifying the dll, or waiting for Firaxis to do it, or breaking Steam achievements, which seems to be important for most people (?).

Of course however there has to be limitations IMO:
Must have vision on 4 or more units of another civ on border of your territory
If he says no promise must last for 15 turns
May not ask a civ this if you have asked in the past 30 turns

At first i wanted this but AI is so bad when fighting, do you really want it to be even easier? 20 turns is not much if you're really not going to attack.

Top Bottom