Binary Dawn

Buster's Uncle

AC2 Owner
http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=335

Binary Dawn TCM by MerentileInterest

The first version of Binary Dawn is now available. Binary Dawn features all of Maniac's great combat and AI improvements, while fixing common complaints, such as social engineering. This also balances out the original and Crossfire factions. A number of improvements are outlined below.

Factions:
The Morganite base limit has increased to six. I've returned them to their original -1 support, as -2 was just too crippling.

Spartans can now rush production at 90% cost, as their industry penalties made them the most difficult original faction.

Gaians have been altered to represent environmentalists, as opposed to Planet Cult style fungus fanatics. They now build free tree farms in all their bases but are capped at size three. They also suffer from a harsher police penalty. Hopefully, .exe modding will eventually allow them +1 nutrient from forests, thus eliminating the need for free tree farms.

University research only requires 80% of normal research points. This allows them to max out research in social engineering.

Fungus:
Those of you who played SMAniaC may recall that fungus benefits came too early. They've been pushed back up the tech tree so normal terraforming is still worthwhile after the first hundred turns.

Technology:
Maniac consolidated a number of technologies. Binary Dawn reinstates a few deleted technologies. It makes soil enrichers easier to research, thus allowing farms/collectors to compete with fungus or forests. It also moves planet busters down the tree, so they don't start with level three reactors.

Binary Dawn allows numerous new strategies for a challenging new take on the game.

No early mindworms? Kind of makes Gaians suck, doesn't it? Their big strength was much better exploration and a really good very early game rush.

Also size 3 bases are absolutely terrible. If they made Zak better there's really no reason to ever play Gaian on this.

Planet Cult in the base game is garbage. It looks like it was renamed in the update, so maybe they are good now. But in the base game Cult is something like the worst race in the game.

I don't really agree about the basis for pop 3 bases but then again it's not my place to tell people what to do.

I've passed that long.

Meanwhile, version 1.1 was released yesterday: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=17641.msg89406#new
MercantileInterest said:
Binary Dawn 1.1

http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=336

Description: The second version of Binary Dawn is now available. It has slightly modified all the factions and now includes an optional compatibility fix for Yitzi's patch. Binary Dawn features all of Maniac's great combat and AI improvements, while fixing common complaints, such as social engineering. This also balances out the original and Crossfire factions. A number of improvements are outlined below.

Factions:
The Morganite base limit has increased to six. I've returned them to their original -1 support, as -2 was just too crippling.

Spartans can now rush production at 90% cost, as their industry penalties made them the most difficult original faction.

Gaians have been altered to represent environmentalists, as opposed to Planet Cult style fungus fanatics. They now build free tree farms in all their bases but are capped at size three. They also suffer from a harsher police penalty. Hopefully, .exe modding will eventually allow them +1 nutrient from forests, thus eliminating the need for free tree farms.

University research only requires 80% of normal research points. This allows them to max out research in social engineering.

Fungus:
Those of you who played SMAniaC may recall that fungus benefits came too early. They've been pushed back up the tech tree so normal terraforming is still worthwhile after the first hundred turns.

Technology:
Maniac consolidated a number of technologies. Binary Dawn reinstates a few deleted technologies. It makes soil enrichers easier to research, thus allowing farms/collectors to compete with fungus or forests. It also moves planet busters down the tree, so they don't start with level three reactors.

Binary Dawn allows numerous new strategies for a challenging new take on the game.

Love those changes to Gaians. That seems so much more thematically consistent with the techquotes/novels. Also the changes to Morganites make complete sense.

Looking forward to giving this a go!

I wanted to try this mod however I am receiving this error:

By the way I downloaded the file and copied and replaced the files directly to my Alien Cross Fire Folder. I hope that was correct.

A bad technology was found in the following file:

ALPHAX.txt

The key that could not be deciphered was

It occurred in the following line

1, ;if non-zero, probe teams can steal technology

This is probably an attempt to modify the file

Ah, thanks! It's working now. Lots of new interesting stuff. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Edit:

>.< And crash right after building a former and trying to move it out of University Base.

MercantileInterest said:
Just uploaded version 1.3. Successfully tested it with different types of formers. Recon Rover, let me know if you're still experiencing problems and also whether you're using Yitzi's patch.
...Supplying a savegame of the turn the problem happened on, right before if possible, usually helps, too...

MercantileInterest said:
Binary Dawn 1.3

http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=338

Description: Binary Dawn is an extensive gameplay overhaul based on Maniac's excellent Smaniac project. The new features include:

1. A reworked tech tree which allows earlier access to useful facilities like Tachyon Fields and delays discovery of certain projects like the Cloudbase Academy. Some of the techs have been renamed. For example, Centauri Agriculture allows production of formers, while Centauri Ecology permits Green Economics.

2. A revised social engineering system. Democracy is no longer the only feasible political choice. The entire society row has also undergone revision and becomes accessible earlier in the game, giving a more interesting variety of choices.

3. Rebalanced SMAC and SMAX factions. Aside from the Progenitors, all human factions should operate at roughly the same power level. Seven new factions, based around unusual gameplay options, may also be selected.

4. A redesign of the combat system. Choppers have reduced range. The AA special ability appears welll before needlejets, so fighting an opponent with air power does not equate to extinction. Hypnotic trance and empath song slightly less effective to empower PSI.

Binary Dawn includes many other features to improve the Alpha Centauri gaming experience. Try it out for a new take on a great game!

...Supplying a savegame of the turn the problem happened on, right before if possible, usually helps, too...

Okay, I continue to crash when using Former units. I am using Yitzi's Patch with Binary Dawn (the latest version).

I have a save game to provide. All you need to do is Press R when the former activates and the game will crash.

How do I upload the saved game file to share? :cool:

MercantileInterest said:
Using the latest version of Binary Dawn with Yitzi's latest patch, the saved game works perfectly. Pressing R doesn't crash anything.

Just to be clear, you've installed the contents of the factions folder, the contents of the main files folder, the contents of Yitzi's patch and lastly the contents of the Yitzi patch compatibility folder, each time copying over any duplicate files?
If that doesn't work, what's your OS?

Top Bottom