Does the AI actually gain XP properly?

lindsay40k

Emperor
I've often captured a city of a powerful warmonger, defended by like a couple of CGII Rifles, to find it's got four settled GGs. Classic example just happened - took a city off Toku exactly like that. Never once encountered a CGIII DrillII unit. Never once encountered an army with high level units in it, over a long war.

The most I've ever seen has been a CGIII DrI unit, which is common when PRO leaders get Feudalism or Theology. Sometimes see CRIII, but the AI tends to get them killed. I've never once seen heavy GG generation lead to an AI manufacturing super units.

What's that about?

AIs do gain XP properly. So with 4GGs and a barracks they'll make 11XP units just like the rest of us.

If you still have the saves you can reload a few turns earlier, give yourself a couple of GSpys and investigate the city. There might be some code that stops the AI from settling all the GGs before the city is about to fall.

Pretty sure they do. I have often seen CR3+1-2 other promo catapults. Same with axes for instance. The AI doesn't tend to waltz over several AIs like we do, however, so I doubt they build up quite as much XP from winning battles. It's more common among the war mongers, though, and I've seen pretty well-promoted units from Shaka, Monty, Ragnar and so forth.

One thing I hate is to almost take a city, and then the remaining defenders are promoted-healed on the next turn, and I can't take it then either :(

I have seen "flashing light" (some unit has possibility to promote but not yet done in previous turn) above AI stack time to time when I attack so maybe just didn't used XP for promotions yet?

Hmm. 11xp from Toku should mean rifles with six promotions. I never encountered any. Maybe he was only making CRIII catapults in this city.

I wish my games were like yours. Whenever I am attacking a Pro civ, its cities seem to always be full of CG3/D2 units. Or if it’s a hill, CG2/D1/G3 units.

If anything, it feels like the AIs get more promotions than they should, not less (just a feeling, I know they don’t actually cheat this way).

I believe the AI doesn't have the concept of concentrating its GG settling in a single city, though I have seen PRO and AGG leaders with armies consisting of entirely 4-promotion units.

I've captured many AI cities that had a handful of GGs in them.

I've captured many AI cities that had a handful of GGs in them.

I tend to pay larger, longer games. GG farms are a fairly common sight, especially when there's AGG or IMP around.

I'll put one in a city but usually in units.
I attack with my GGs so I lose them so I need more of them. Mostly healers but if I'm really generating them I'll make a few nut busters. I used to get mad when a GG lost at 98% but I've gotten past that. Just make a new one.

So do you guys prefer GGs in cities or GGs in units?

Depends a bit. I always use the first for a super healer. If there is a great Heroic Epic site that can keep pumping out units pretty fast, I prefer to have a few GGs there, but in conquest or domination games I also like to have some super-attackers. Sooner or later they will die, but they can be useful in the short to medium term in taking out top defenders, either as the first attacker if the odds isn't too brutal, or after a few suiciders.

In a real pinch, they can also be used as super defenders. It can be fairly effective in the right circumstance.

So do you guys prefer GGs in cities or GGs in units?

My first or second GG is set as a super-healer.

My second or third is often put in the saddle as a Medic III Chariot, accompanying a mounted army of sufficient size to disable any stack's siege gear even if RNG is unkind.

All others are settled in HE city.

My HE city is almost always a coastal one; highly promoted Privateers can bullseye passing Galleons for easy peacetime GGpts (and delaying rival colonisation), and warships need many promotions to be effective. Plus, I enjoy playing with events on, and a Drydock has a good chance of offering a Military Academy for a reasonable sum.

Whether I self-found my HE city depends on a few things. Is a neighbour going to generate a lot of GGs through IMP, TGW, or being a belligerent warmonger? Is their capital a coastal hammer factory? If they can be relied upon to settle several instructors before I reach the city gates, any GGs I get after my healing is sorted are put in reserve to be added to the pile.

If, on the other hand, my entire continent are hippies, then I'll settle my first GG and generate the rest by cracking heads with CRII.

Top Bottom