Has anyone ever seen this before?

MrBojangles4

Chieftain
I recently finished a monarch domination game as Lincoln. However, Monty was in the game, and he literally never founded one city from the start of the game. He had plenty of room to expand but I went through the game log after and he never actually built another city. Even barb cities spawned around him, and they were not Monty's cities that were captured. Every other civ expanded and played as normal. He ended up living to around 1830 right at the end of the game and was killed by de gaulle with only Tenochtitlan still.

Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 173
Hmm. Was he perhaps stuck in an endless cycle of getting Settlers killed? The Civ V AI is notorious for that, and his movement choices there seem highly constrained.

I'm not sure if he was having a lot of settlers killed. I've never really seen/heard of that in civ 4. For many turns he had plenty of places to settle another city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen this actually. In one game Gandhi founded 2 early religions (Hindu+Buddhism I think, which is quite a feat in itself). I stole one worker at some point, but that's all I did against him. He wasn't in wars either, had lots of room to expand into, but simply never did. I did notice some barb problems, so maybe that affected it, but would still think he had the means to expand at some point. Eventually I conquered his 1-city empire, but that was relatively late.

I too have seen this happen. Sury of the Khmer is a well known city spammer, yet in one game on a fractal map Sury only settled 3 cities even though he had room for 6-8. He was isolated on a small landmass by himself which may have affected is expansion.

As you write that, in Kakumeika's SGOTM 18, Gandhi didn't expand until the AD's. He then founded 3 cities at which he stagnated 'til the end of the game.

Hmm. I'd be interested to find ways to trigger this phenomenon. I've been experimenting with ways to make some factions have a very slow start, so as to make a Terra type map with the Americas having an equivalent of a late start.

I only know from one way, which is, when the settling colonel gets trapped on a non-culture tile by the culture from someone else. Then the Settler is trapped, and the AI doesn't build any more because it always tries to use the one it already has.

Not like that. I’ve seen AIs start on smallish islands and build just one city due to being isolated, but that’s not the case here.

Top Bottom