Altered Maps 3: The rise of the Basque Empire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some interesting maps here:
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/guip/introAction.do?profile=cpro&theme=eurind&lang=en

Hours worked per week of full-time employment
Legend ( Series: 2008 )
39.2 - 40.3 40.3 - 41.0 41.0 - 41.6 41.6 - 42.5 42.5 - 53.7 N/A

Hourly labour costs
Legend ( Series: 2007 )
1.89 - 6.41 6.41 - 11.98 11.98 - 25.25 25.25 - 32.37 32.37 - 33.81 N/A

GDP per capita in PPS
Legend ( Series: 2008 )
32.5 - 60.6 60.6 - 81.3 81.3 - 115.5 115.5 - 124.8 124.8 - 258.4 N/A

Yes for 6 years of war. The whole impact of Germany to us then was to destroy us.

Do you know your history? In 1900 Danzig was German. In 1945 Danzig was German. In 1900 most of Silesia was German. In 1945 most of Silesia was German.

Sometimes stuff lines up. People who draw correlations between the two maps are likely to see Jesus in their toast.

Come on, that analogy was totally false. And it is no coincidence that the two people refuting the correlation shown in that map are both Polish.

Makes sense in a way though, doesn't it? German imperialism brought Western influences to the conquered areas - in this case, Western Poland - and, through trade, Warsaw. Russia probably had more influence on Eastern Poland, creating the east-west divide.

Wouldn't make sense. Poland has always had Western Values, the germans wouldn't have had much, if any influence on the ways we think, which is different in Ukraine, where there is an obvious East-West divide, and that is mostly thanks to us poles having centuries of strong western influence on them, plus in the far west most of the people are Ukrianized poles, plus alot of different factors.

Come on, that analogy was totally false. And it is no coincidence that the two people refuting the correlation shown in that map are both Polish.

Because maybe we know the area more then a person who considers us Catholic Russians?

Do you know your history? In 1900 Danzig was German. In 1945 Danzig was German. In 1900 most of Silesia was German. In 1945 most of Silesia was German.

And your point is?

Both areas are heavily industrialized, and would be regardless if it was under German, Polish or Russian rule. Even if Zimbabwe controlled Gdansk and Silesia, they would still be heavily industrialized.

Anyway Squonk explained things perfectly:
I believe I did post maps like this before.

It comes from a couple of things:
1) Post-german lands are richer, and richer parts vote for liberals
2) In these parts of western territories, which were inhabited by Germans before ww2, there was collectivisation after the war; the local society structures were weaker, and links with tradition etc as well, while links with communist rule stronger. But it doesn't explain Kashubs, Silesians, Major Poles voting for liberals, does it. Kashubs and Silesians have distinct nature and that may account for it: they don't want to be fully swallowed by nationalists who treat them with suspicion. But Major Poles? Major Poland was the bastion of ultranationalism before ww2.

What is interesting is that it's not only about politics. In former German Empire, former Austrian Empire and former Russian Empire, there is different level of railroad density; different plants cultivated; different cattle. Poland is very much divided.

But it wasn't that visible until the de facto 2 party system PO (liberals) and PiS (nationalist conservatives) formed. Before, it looked a bit different.
for example, Zaglebie - an industrial region in former RE - voted left; next to it, industrial region in former GE voted liberal; next to it, agricultural region in former PE voted conservative; now all vote for liberals, mostly.

I recall Chelm region in the most extreme east voting for left, as well as Kielce region - but it may come from that Chelm region was also repopulated to some extent after ww2, because Ukrainians were expelled, and anyway, the left was the biggest party there, but the majority might have been right-winged.

And here is the map with Ukraine's elections and Polands former borders:

Green line - Polish border untill 1648
Purple line - Polish border untill 1939

I think this map is much more interesting then the German-Polish one and means much much more.

So...there is a strong correlation when Poland is the imperial power, but none when Poland is not the imperial power?

Not to mention the lack of any strong exceptions in the German-Polish map, but the strong exception in the southeast of the Polish-Ukranian map.

So...there is a strong correlation when Poland is the imperial power, but none when Poland is not the imperial power?

Not to mention the lack of any strong exceptions in the German-Polish map, but the strong exception in the southeast of the Polish-Ukranian map.

Nah, between the original Ukraine and [wiki]Novorossiya[/wiki].

Squonk explained it perfectly. It is just an East-West divide between politics. If there was any correlation, then it would look the same every election, but of coarse the previous election, areas that are pretty close to the former Russian border were full of liberals.

If you think there is a correlation, then what can you possibly make out of it?

Stop Poland Jacking!!! I posted that map because it was interesting. The world doesnt revolve around that state..

Stop Poland Jacking!!! I posted that map because it was interesting. The world doesnt revolve around that state..

Unless you're my Polish-American friend, because all she ever talks about in a discussion is Poland. :D Poland über alles!

It's possible such a trend could extend to all Poles given how hellbent they all are on reasserting their country's honor, but I wouldn't want to put words in TheLastOne, warpus', or anybody else's mouths.

Nowwww, off that geographic/historical nightmare, and on to the wider thread, I will have something soon! :D

Overeacting much?

We are actually having a good discussion about this, their is no provoking or anything in this discussion.

Can we put bigger maps in spoilers?
I think this map is much more interesting then the German-Polish one and means much much more.
Because there's no correlation?

Also, have a map from 240 BC.

That's interesting, but who's who?

Anyway, with all this talk about Poland, here's the Polish Empire. No, I'm not going to come up with a reason for why these empires appeared.

Spoiler :

That's interesting, but who's who?

Anyway, with all this talk about Poland, here's the Polish Empire. No, I'm not going to come up with a reason for why these empires appeared.

You forgot to make Cape Verde and Venezuela part of Poland;)

A little something I did.

Spoiler :

Yeah except that the Germans (and to a smaller extent the Soviets) pretty much blew everything up in WW2.

After WW2 all the Germans left and were replaced with Poles from the east.

Sometimes stuff lines up. People who draw correlations between the two maps are likely to see Jesus in their toast.

Seems like the railway system was left intact (or is this another Jesus sighting? ;) ):

From here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom