Civilization III: Worldwide

Congratulations for your mod AnthonyBoscia. :) Yesterday I downloaded "Worldwide" and had a first look into this mod. Your idea about using the "replace-improvement-flag" as "city-attributes" sounds very cool and interesting. :cool:

Over christmas I will have the time to play it and have a deeper look into the mod - especially if the AI is using these city-attributes well.
Definately congratulations, I am downloading it now to try it.

one suggestion I'd have is to give the different units different strengths, so that say the ottoman infantry is weaker than german infantry or something. to reflect the real world in terms of stats

Cemo: The gunner/arquebus/musket class actually has equal offense and defense. So when the medieval fellas turn in their bows for firearms, they retain the same offense (but lose their bombard), and have better defense. So in the Renaissance Era, you've got strong attackers (Swordsman), strong defenders (Pikeman), and all-around units (musketman). I enjoy the mini-bombard ability too, but I figured as firearms progressed and ranged combat became more the norm, this bombard aspect is reduced in effectiveness.

The unit roster is staggered so that the computer will build a greater variety of types. When the Dragoon is available, he's the most powerful unit, but is rapidly made less effective by cannon, fusiliers, and cavalry. But during that time, the AI will still build a corps of them. This is also used to help the AI with Army-building. When armies first get generated, they usually put a rifleman (Strongest unit at the time), then later add artillery and infantry as they come available. Or they add infantry and later tanks or recon. It's not 100% foolproof, but just working with what we got. In a test game, the U.S. loaded up four tank/infantry armies in their attack force...not bad!

I'd like to hear any ideas you have on machine gunners and anti-tank forces. I'm not completely satisfied with their roles. Thanks!

one suggestion I'd have is to give the different units different strengths, so that say the ottoman infantry is weaker than german infantry or something. to reflect the real world in terms of stats

Different civs do have superior units in certain classes. German infantry are better than Ottoman infantry, and everybody else's. The French have the best Fusiliers (and good musketmen), the Turks have Janissaries, the Mongols have horse archers, etc. There is not, however, too much variation within each class beyond that (although there's a little). That's because I didn't want the game to bog down over debate on who's stuff is better than the other guy's. There are a number of differences though. Such as American and Moseamerican ancient and medieval units, which are weaker on attack but don't require iron or horses. Japan, also gets stuck with Edo Samurai who are weaker than everyone else's fusiliers and grenadiers, until they can get Meiji Riflemen going. Essentially, I didn't want to go overboard with this because a) it's really subjective, and b) it can throw game balance off.

Did you have some specific units or stats in mind? It's always worth another look. Thanks!

I'd like to hear any ideas you have on machine gunners and anti-tank forces. I'm not completely satisfied with their roles. Thanks!

Perhaps setting AT units, both Tank destroyers and Bazooka units, up as having stealth attack vs all wheeled units. Perhaps also making a smaller bombard with range zero. Counting for their defensive strength. In making Stealth attack the Tank Destroyer might have lower attack than a normal tank.
Tank destroyers during WW2 was (as I understood) used in more defensive purpose. Setting up in good cover taking out the leading tanks that came along and then hurrying back. So perhaps they should be faster than normal tanks.
A Bazooka unit should not be the strongest attack unit on foot or even best defense, so it´s need some oddities.
This is really tricky. I´m sure huge amount of mod & secnario makers have thought up many ways, but I´m sure some tricks needs to be done beside the a/d values.

Machine Guns might be easier for at least WWI. It was the strongest defensive unit. Your mentioning that the AI unit roster is staggered, so well the Machine Guns will get built during WWI but then can only upgrade to WW2 variants. However normal infantry should be little stronger during WW2 so the AI will build these blokes. This way it probably works as you mentioned

I haven´t looked to closely how you have setup these units so I can´t make better suggestion than this.

Still a great mod with great possibilities.

Different civs do have superior units in certain classes. German infantry are better than Ottoman infantry, and everybody else's. The French have the best Fusiliers (and good musketmen), the Turks have Janissaries, the Mongols have horse archers, etc. There is not, however, too much variation within each class beyond that (although there's a little). That's because I didn't want the game to bog down over debate on who's stuff is better than the other guy's. There are a number of differences though. Such as American and Moseamerican ancient and medieval units, which are weaker on attack but don't require iron or horses. Japan, also gets stuck with Edo Samurai who are weaker than everyone else's fusiliers and grenadiers, until they can get Meiji Riflemen going. Essentially, I didn't want to go overboard with this because a) it's really subjective, and b) it can throw game balance off.

Did you have some specific units or stats in mind? It's always worth another look. Thanks!

Oh that's good that there is variation. I actually didn't play past ancient era and I played on a custom earth map so I didn't get to see any variation between me and my neighbours (except for Rome).

I don't really have any recomendations that would fit in with your design intentions, although personally I plan to edit middle east horsemen so they're stronger than euopean horsemen, european knights so they're stronger than ME knights etc.. Ty for mod it's good.

Perhaps setting AT units, both Tank destroyers and Bazooka units, up as having stealth attack vs all wheeled units. Perhaps also making a smaller bombard with range zero. Counting for their defensive strength. In making Stealth attack the Tank Destroyer might have lower attack than a normal tank.
Tank destroyers during WW2 was (as I understood) used in more defensive purpose. Setting up in good cover taking out the leading tanks that came along and then hurrying back. So perhaps they should be faster than normal tanks.

Unfortunately, any unit with speed over 1 is considered a fast unit. And fast units cannot retreat from other fast units; they can only retreat from speed-1 units. I think it did not used to be this way before Conquests or PTW (can't remember though).

It would be a great way for AT units though to be able to retreat from regular tank units, if only it was possible. Same problem for ships not being able to ever retreat. For slow ships, I think giving speed 1 and ATAR (so they could still move 3) would allow speed 2+ ships to be able to retreat from them, which is a nice workaround (could be used for certain land units also if setup right).

It took me a few tries to get everything in the right directories, and I'm still not 100% sure I've got it right... At any rate, the game won't load. It tells me that there's a missing entry in pediaicons.txt about a power plant. I'm guessing this isn't exactly a Worldwide thing, anybody have any tips about getting around it?

When you unzip (or unrar) the main file, you need to place this directory into your Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios directory.

The biggest issue to check on is this:
When you unzip the file, these programs often create a duplicate folder, and this is the most likely cause of your problem.

Inside the folder 'Worldwide', you should have Art and Text folders. If you have something else (like another Worldwide directory) then simply copy and paste the folders out so your structure is correct (can probably just copy paste the Art and Text directories into the first Worldwide directory).

Should look something like this:
------------------------------
Civ III/Conquests/Scenarios/Worldwide/
And Worldwide directory contains Art and Text folders.

Let us know if this was the issue or not.

Haha, now I feel a bit silly. Everything was in the right place, but I hadn't renamed the Worldwide folder after extracting all the pieces into it, so it was still called Worldwide1. Thanks for the reply though, I'm eager to try this mod out. Merry Christmas! :D

I recently noticed that four wonders are inexplicably missing from the game. They have now been added back in (Don Quixote, El Escorial, Qur-'an, and Masjid Al Haram). You can download the new biq in Post 1 of this thread, or in the downloads database, as well as the updated Civilopedia. The graphics and Pediaicons text of these wonders are already included in the main download so you won't need to download any additional graphics or text files.

Also, I have changed both the Communism and Dictatorship governments to have low war weariness instead of none. This can still be offset by their high military police limits. Chiefdom is now the only government with no war weariness (other than Anarchy). This will be more relevant when the expansion is ready.

Thanks to all who have played and commented so far; I hope it has been worth your while.

A couple of things. First, Anti-Air cruisers and battleships have the same defense. IMHO, i think the cruisers defense of 20 should be buffed to 22 or 24, just so it comes up on top of the stack. By the time they had guided missiles and such, cruisers were doing the protecting, and any battleships remaining in use were in the center of the fleet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_battle_group#Battleship_battle_group

Also, it says in the civpedia that cruise missiles can be loaded onto akula nuclear subs, but im not getting the load animation. Also, with cruise missiles, i think the rebase option is a little weird, makes them too much like aircraft. Other wise, im really enjoying the mod, really fine work. Thanks.

A couple of things. First, Anti-Air cruisers and battleships have the same defense. IMHO, i think the cruisers defense of 20 should be buffed to 22 or 24, just so it comes up on top of the stack. By the time they had guided missiles and such, cruisers were doing the protecting, and any battleships remaining in use were in the center of the fleet.

Also, it says in the civpedia that cruise missiles can be loaded onto akula nuclear subs, but im not getting the load animation. Also, with cruise missiles, i think the rebase option is a little weird, makes them too much like aircraft. Other wise, im really enjoying the mod, really fine work. Thanks.

Thanks, bud. Naval vessels have gotten an overhaul in the updated version of the game that I'm still working on. Battleships have a stronger bombardment, while modern ships are much improved. It'll be a better balanced system.

Cruise missile rebasing was purely for player convienence. I'll look again, but subs and ships should be able to carry them OK. Too bad we can't use the old Civ 2 way of launching them at your vessels and having them land on the deck. Missiles are going to be auto-produceable in the new version by some kinda modern building so they are more in play. The AI doesn't usually build them, but will happily use them if they are available.

AnthonyBoscia,

Dude, downloading your version of civ-3. Will let you know about my opinions from time to time. Love Civ-3. Please continue doing the great job. Take care. :king::)

This is pretty awesome.
Well worth the download time.

Once just starting, I noticed a couple things.

The beginning interface was good, sometimes the text was a little skewed but that was to be expected. It might be better if you had some more detailed things for the Civilizations to choose. You had some stuff for like the first 3 on the left but almost none of the others.

The Roman Legion's Civilopedia jumps. It says it goes to Visigoth infantry but instead says Anti-Tank.

I began playing as the Indians and was happily browsing through my different units when it made me crash on an Indian Maharata. I think it is because it is looking for a ".p" instead of a .pcx?

Thank you for the great mod!
I will try playing as a different civ and see if the same problems persist!
:):):goodjob:

Attachments

• No indian.png
    No indian.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 263
Thanks, guys; I hope you enjoy it.

Andy: Thanks for catching that pcx. This Indian fella gave me all kinds of grief, and I eventually used a different unit graphic for his small pcx, but the same problem must be appying to the large pcx. I checked the path and the palette and still no dice, so I'll just have to make a substitute for it.

Some of the units cross-upgrade among civs at later levels, so when you see ancient spearman with an upgrade path to anti-tanks and such, it's because you're veiwing the Civpedia through the eyes of another civ. The 'upgrades' that are mentioned in the text file are actually the graphics change that occurs when you enter a new era. So the legions in question will be Visigoths in the Dark Ages, and then be able to properly upgrade to Sicilian infantry in the medieval when you discover Feudalism.

Progress continues slowly on the expansion, and even when it's done there's testing and civpedia to do. It's going to be much larger than I originally planned, not only in terms of units, but in building options and new capabilities that should hopefully give the computer opponents a little more variety.

Oh, one thing I was wondering about. Since most (or all) of the units are "unique" to that Civilization, can they all cause a golden age?

I applaud your AI. These are the only ones I've seen (because I usually only play Chieftain or Warlord) that don't stock up on 100 units in every city, and they are nearly keeping up with me in tech.

Top Bottom