[MOD] MagisterModmod

I hadn't really intended for anyone to be able to purchase Dragon Slaying, but now that I think of it I will. I just now allowed it for the Disciple, Melee, and Mounted unitcombats, but also made the Animal Mastery tech a prerequisite.

Sounds good; made that same change in my copy now.

I have not tested it, but going to line 1575 of CvEventManager.py and changing this
Code:
snip
should make Hyborem always the first demon lord to be summoned.
Great, thanks! Will be giving that a try soon.

Good points about the drawbacks of an early Infernal Pact; it's just that I was envisaging playing as Hyborem, and only completing a single pact before switching, even though doing so may well turn out to be sub-optimal. :)

Is there any reason why Nomad and Winterborn should not count as racial promotions? That would automatically prevent them from being given to Flesh Golems.
I suppose they are more like human "subraces"... however, their inherent bonuses are very much equivalent to those of the proper races (double movement/combat bonii in favoured terrain), so categorizing them alongside them seems sensible to me (assuming it won't adversely affect something else, of course).

Also; it seems that making the Rod of Winds and Kanna's Ring "unique" effectively makes the Timor Mask and Jade Torc even more ubiquitous, as the range of items which can be found in chests/lairs is very limited once the Rod and Ring are no longer eligible. It might be nice if some intentionally generic, weaker items could be added to supplement that range, though I suppose that that might take more effort than it's worth.

There are too many ways to win at mid-game for now. I suggest buff tier 3/4 units further.

I haven't played FfH in ages, so take these comments with a grain of salt. I am about halfway through an Elohim/Order game (Prince/Epic/Erebus/Large).
1. When I launched my invasion of the Sheaim after they attacked me, all they seemed to build was scouts and a few catapults. I knew they had archers and pyre zombies-after all, they were in the invasion stack. After my axeman got in a very lucky kill against Rosier the Fallen, it was all over for the Sheaim. Valin Phanuel with Orthus' Axe and promoted all the way down the drill line is pretty tought to beat, especially when backed by Confessors. This leads me into my next two points.
2. Valin with the axe, bless, and the full drill line of promotions (along with the usual ones, like anti-archer and anti-melee) is essentially god. I have been able to attack into cities on a hill, with over 50% defense, across a river, and fully healed archers with Valin at 99.99% chance of victory. Once I throw in a few activations of the Ring of Flames, I really don't have any problems. The only time I lost units was because I was to impatient killing units one at a time with Valin.
3. When did Confessors get the Ring of Flames ability? With Ring of Flames Confessors are able to work like siege engines with pretty decent stats and promotions.
4. The economic AI is surprisingly decent. The Sheaim were showing signs of a runaway AI (and the Doviello weren't doing bad either). The Khazad definately are a run away AI. Fortunately they declared war on me and now they are about to suffer the wrath of highly promoted Confessors, Crusaders, and a Valin (with some High Priests just about to come on line) who have just finished conquering the Sheaim and Doviello. Before I got Confessors I was doing very poorly. If it wasn't for the Confessors I probably would still be losing.
5. The Elohim UUs seem to be pretty worthless. Unless you have a small mountain of Spirit mana, monks are a more expensive version of axemen. The Devout comes too late and is too expensive to be worthwhile, and the Councillor is down a completely different tree than the Elohim are likely to go. While the Devout pilgrimage options are nice, I haven't been able to use them as the map has a distinct lack of Unique Features.
EDIT: Scratch that. I don't know whether I got lucky with open mana sources (that I quickly turned into Spirit Nodes) but upgrading devouts to Monks was very strong. The Councillor came in handy fending off those rather large Infernal stacks after Hyborem got out of control due to all of the Manes he was getting due to my bloody war with the Khazad and the AV Amurites deciding to send what appeared to be every single unit they made against Acheron, who promptly killed them all.
6. Somehow the Doviello managed to the Khazad to Bambur despite the Khazad founding RoK.
I think the last time I played FfH was during the first or second release of Ice, and I have to say, the AI is loads better this time around and it feels more complete.

First off MM thanx for this new MOD, I haven't played any version of FFH since for almost 2 years and it was nice to see a new mod out there as I returned to it.
I searched the forum and the pedia, and cannot find the answer to my question if anyone can answer it for me. I don't think its a bug just a new rule either to your mod that I am not familar with.
I started with the Bannor and it seems I cannot not build more then 8 warriors/combat units. I seem to still be able to build scouts, work boats, workers and other non-combat units but seemed to be limited on my max # of combat units. If one dies I can rebuild up till eight.
I am guessing this is either tied to my population size or amount of cities. If anyone knows the rules regarding how you increase you max units allowed, let me know and thanx in advance.

Once again great work MM and Thoal and anyone else who contributed to this mod mod.

After reading that I just remembered that I did at one point add a block to limit the number of warriors built. (It seems odd that you can go up to 8 though. The code seems to place the limit at 7 times he number of cities you control.) That was a long time ago. If I recall correctly, that was added in a version where a glitch in Tholal's AI programming was causing the AI players to build insanely large stacks of warriors and neglect almost anything else. I believe that Tholal's AI code has improved since then, so I should probably remove those three lines of code. I'm surprised that I wrote it in such a way that it would limit human players in the first place.

----

I've been kind of busy getting our house ready for the contractor who is coming to renovate our bathrooms tomorrow, and haven't had much time for modding lately. I did however find a few more issues with using a couple of the scenarios with my modmod. Most were easy to fix, but I can't seem to figure out why the Lord of the Balors is always automatically lost as soon as it loads. (This seems to be the case in More Naval AI too, even though it is fine in base FfH2.) Once I fix that I'll probably release a minor update, which should not break any saved games.

sect of flies can have both bronze and iron weapon promos. But mithril "overrides everything".

Thanks for the reply MM,

It was kinda nice actually because it did stop the AI from warrior spamming, and me from warrior rushing. So it worked as you intend it to I believe. It hasn't stop the production of any other units besides warrior's.
Another question for the group, if anyone can answer is on Commanders (great)
-I seem to remember that they also had an option of adding experience to a stack was this removed?
-The ralley button mentions that its one unit per 3 pop in a city, I had a city with a population of 12 and used Ralley and recieved ten units (1 axeman, 1 Chariot, 1 Archer and 7 Scouts) is this a change and as intended? Or has there just not been an update to the description on the cast spell/command button?
-The command post says it will take 42 (520 hammers) to build, is this alongside the item in the que already being built or will it overide current construction, also I thought that it would be automatic like other great people and/or units special bldgs, is this the case? I haven't actually attempted to build one to test it yet so it may happen that way and just be a text error in the description.

On a last note I do like the changes done to the command post after reading it, I don't seem to remember the original command post being as usefull, if those changes were made for this MOD-MOD nice work.

I believe the Bronze + Iron weapons thing is a known issue, which goes back to base FfH2 and is not specific to the Sect of the Flies unit. The code that applies the weapons does not check to see if the unit already has a higher tier weapons if it does not meet the prerequisites to be given that higher tier of weapons. This code in found in the DLL, so there is not much I can do about it personally. You should ask Tholal to fix it in the next release of More Naval AI if it is something you care about.

The Sect of the Flies that each Infernal player gets when he first enters Erebus start with Iron weapons. It will get Bronze Weapons while keeping Iron weapons if it is in a city that has access to copper and no access to Iron. (The starting Infernal champions of base FfH2 have Iron Weapons too and would be able to take advantage of the same exploit if it were not for the fact that the Infernal Palace there provides Iron instead of Dimensional Mana.)

Adding experience was normal Beyond the Sword (or Warlords) behavior for Great Generals, which I briefly reactivated in my modmod. I then went back to the method of attaching commanders that FfH2 uses. I forget exactly what issue influence that decision. It might have just been the desire to allow commanders to detach without creating an exploit that allows infinite free xp.

I have not changed the way Recruit decides how many units to give you. Just like in base FfH2, the number of free units normally equals 1 + (city population)/3, but is doubled if the city contains a Temple of the Order.

The Organized Trait allows a player the option of building a Command Post as if it were an ordinary building, spending hammers rather than sacrificing a Great Commander. It can still be built by sacrificing a great person, and does not cost any hammers or require a prerequisite technology that way. (That is actually unchanged from base FfH2. My modmod does however extend the same mechanism to allow players with the Philosophical Trait to construct Academies without sacrificing Great Sages.)

I have made Command Posts more useful. The main change though is in providing Stability, which could not be in base FfH2 because the whole mechanism was added by Tholal.

Thanks MM

And yes I did have temple of the Order, and the Organized trait so that explains both of those, Thanks for the response and thanks for the work you put into this.

Shapecharge

I am running magister mod on windows 7. It took a few games to figure out how to keep an empire more or less stable. Once I got over that hurdle, I find it very enjoyable. But now it seems that the game eventually hangs while "Waiting on other Civilizations" between turns. This is well into the game when the executable size shown in task manager is usually over 600 megs. I have 8 gigs on my machine, so I'm not running out of memory per se. Is there something that I can do to avoid this problem, other than playing a smaller map? (I did search the forum, but I didn't see this addressed.) Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Michael AD-0401.CivBeyondSwordSave
    503.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Logs.zip
    108.5 KB · Views: 47
The last game I played, I had 25/25 monks as Elohim. I had built a few spirit nodes, but then on of the opponents cast the ritual that creates new raw mana nodes in the world. I converted many of them to spirit, but eventually decided that I needed some farms, towns, etc.. I was looking forward to strength 60+ plus counselors, but I wasn't able to continue due to the game hanging waiting for other civilizations between turns.

I haven't played FfH in ages, so take these comments with a grain of salt. I am about halfway through an Elohim/Order game (Prince/Epic/Erebus/Large).
1. When I launched my invasion of the Sheaim after they attacked me, all they seemed to build was scouts and a few catapults. I knew they had archers and pyre zombies-after all, they were in the invasion stack. After my axeman got in a very lucky kill against Rosier the Fallen, it was all over for the Sheaim. Valin Phanuel with Orthus' Axe and promoted all the way down the drill line is pretty tought to beat, especially when backed by Confessors. This leads me into my next two points.
2. Valin with the axe, bless, and the full drill line of promotions (along with the usual ones, like anti-archer and anti-melee) is essentially god. I have been able to attack into cities on a hill, with over 50% defense, across a river, and fully healed archers with Valin at 99.99% chance of victory. Once I throw in a few activations of the Ring of Flames, I really don't have any problems. The only time I lost units was because I was to impatient killing units one at a time with Valin.
3. When did Confessors get the Ring of Flames ability? With Ring of Flames Confessors are able to work like siege engines with pretty decent stats and promotions.
4. The economic AI is surprisingly decent. The Sheaim were showing signs of a runaway AI (and the Doviello weren't doing bad either). The Khazad definately are a run away AI. Fortunately they declared war on me and now they are about to suffer the wrath of highly promoted Confessors, Crusaders, and a Valin (with some High Priests just about to come on line) who have just finished conquering the Sheaim and Doviello. Before I got Confessors I was doing very poorly. If it wasn't for the Confessors I probably would still be losing.
5. The Elohim UUs seem to be pretty worthless. Unless you have a small mountain of Spirit mana, monks are a more expensive version of axemen. The Devout comes too late and is too expensive to be worthwhile, and the Councillor is down a completely different tree than the Elohim are likely to go. While the Devout pilgrimage options are nice, I haven't been able to use them as the map has a distinct lack of Unique Features.
EDIT: Scratch that. I don't know whether I got lucky with open mana sources (that I quickly turned into Spirit Nodes) but upgrading devouts to Monks was very strong. The Councillor came in handy fending off those rather large Infernal stacks after Hyborem got out of control due to all of the Manes he was getting due to my bloody war with the Khazad and the AV Amurites deciding to send what appeared to be every single unit they made against Acheron, who promptly killed them all.
6. Somehow the Doviello managed to the Khazad to Bambur despite the Khazad founding RoK.
I think the last time I played FfH was during the first or second release of Ice, and I have to say, the AI is loads better this time around and it feels more complete.

I am running magister mod on windows 7. It took a few games to figure out how to keep an empire more or less stable. Once I got over that hurdle, I find it very enjoyable. But now it seems that the game eventually hangs while "Waiting on other Civilizations" between turns. This is well into the game when the executable size shown in task manager is usually over 600 megs. I have 8 gigs on my machine, so I'm not running out of memory per se. Is there something that I can do to avoid this problem, other than playing a smaller map? (I did search the forum, but I didn't see this addressed.) Thanks in advance for any help.

I know this is silly, but it is worth asking if you have a 64 bit OS. I have little doubt that you do, but I figure it would be worth asking.

Hey Magister!

I think I found a rather bad bug.

The bug is easy to spot, basically any combat apply promotions such as bless,stigmata,etc. are bugged where they don't show properly or just don't plain work anymore.

For instance, my monk has 40% against demons and when I hold over the demon that % will not show up or my odds of winning be higher, but if I use a demon(through WB) and hover over the monk that 40% will actually apply for the demon! But I don't think that the % has any effect because monk isn't demon.

Maybe this is Tholal's AI doing I don't know.. I'll try to post this on his page as well.

Or if anyone else can test this out and see maybe I have a corrupt copy.

Hmm this is strange, do you have the latest magister mod?

Before I always used to crash on turn 285 no.matter.what. even if I had lower civs and small map.

With this new version I can play all civs with a large map and go past 400+ turns and I have 3g memory 32-bit windows 7.

I can help you with a temporary fix though as I had this once too.

Alright, when you hang again like that press ALT + Z i believe to switch to a new civ and the game should go on again(You can switch back later). You may have to activate the cheat mode first.

Try lowering your settings to lower settings and see if it does any good.

Also did you mod your game by any chance? Or maybe you're using a bad script map.

If nothing post your save-game and Magister might be able to see if there's a bug.

Thanks for offering your advice. I have the latest that I downloaded here a few days ago. I may try the ALT-T. I've been playing the default map. I read the other day about the game hanging due to area of effect spells at the map border. I am trying a map which wraps in all directions. No I didn't mod the game. I will post the save file, perhaps it will be of help to Magister.

Hmm this is strange, do you have the latest magister mod?

Before I always used to crash on turn 285 no.matter.what. even if I had lower civs and small map.

With this new version I can play all civs with a large map and go past 400+ turns and I have 3g memory 32-bit windows 7.

I can help you with a temporary fix though as I had this once too.

Alright, when you hang again like that press ALT + Z i believe to switch to a new civ and the game should go on again(You can switch back later). You may have to activate the cheat mode first.

Try lowering your settings to lower settings and see if it does any good.

Also did you mod your game by any chance? Or maybe you're using a bad script map.

If nothing post your save-game and Magister might be able to see if there's a bug.

Save file for my latest hung game experience is now attached to message 410 as the explanation is there. Thanks to anyone who would care to take a look. Also added the logs. It looks like something happens as one of the AI makes a city attack with a stack of (only) 70 units. I replayed it twice and it stops almost exactly the same place.

That's going to be the case with any hero unit, or any unit with a lot of promotions. You can get regular old horse archers to be nearly as strong (I think Valin might have one strength on the archers), although heroes do get heroic attack and defense, which is sweet.

That said, those midgame heroes like Valin can wilt pretty quickly under the assault of national units.

Every time I play your mod I find a new addition you put in. This time was the first time I saw the Colubra, played with the dragon fanatics, and found that Ecclesiastics can upgrade to royal guards. Awesome.

By the way, I can't upgrade Sheaim axmen (or pyre zombies) to paladins, which means I can't get Sheaim melee units to become paladins. Crusaders and other disciple units upgrade fine though. Funny that my Dragon Fanatics can be upgraded to paladins.

Also, the Nullstone Citadel has a weird habit of disappearing when the city holding it is captured, unlike most wonders.

Also, also: it would be nice if Grigori adventurers were barred some how from receiving the crazed and enraged promotions. It is very annoying to lose control of your hero units unexpectedly because of finding a red sword in one of those auto-explore dungeons.

Finally, use of the Eater of the Dead power (that eats population to restore magic casting power) turns your civ evil. Some how I've ended up with an evil civ following the Order. With paladins!

Instability - Dangerously Unstable? My current empire has 7 good factors and no bad ones. (pillar of chains, tower of complacencey, republic, med empire, etc) Every city has stability of safe (flat). Yet my empires stability is listed as dangerously unstable. I don't get it. Is the only way you can avoid this condition to sit in your original city until some other empire comes by and squashes you like a bug?

Top Bottom