Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hmm! It's possible that Steam have stopped downloading mods to Macs!

Yeah I noticed I cannot download mods now, but they did work. Are you having the same thing? After subscribing the mods no longer show up in the ugc folder. Do you have a fix?

Nope! I guess it indicates that we were never supposed to be able to do it :(

Which mod are you trying to use?

After you have checked the box to enable it in the Mods screen, you need to continue, select Single Player, and then go into the game setup screen to select the items in the mod - a map or a civ or a scenario depending on the mod content.

Playing Campaign Edition. Mod shows up fine, though in following the instructions to play the mod, the setup screen does not show any mod options - it's just the standard setup screen. There's no IGE label.

Any thoughts on how I get the mod screen to show up?

Im so disappointed. I really was enjoying that feature. Who can I contact to tell them I liked it?

Im so disappointed. I really was enjoying that feature. Who can I contact to tell them I liked it?

I think the change must have been made by Steam, since there has been no Civ5 update from Aspyr that could have done it. However, Steam might have done it at Aspyr's request. You probably need to contact both support teams to tell them you are unhappy.

Playing Campaign Edition. Mod shows up fine, though in following the instructions to play the mod, the setup screen does not show any mod options - it's just the standard setup screen. There's no IGE label.

Any thoughts on how I get the mod screen to show up?

There should be an IGE button at the top right of the screen. Screenshot below ...

Attachments

• IGE Menu.png
    IGE Menu.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 359
Thanks Alan. For some reason, IGE wasn't showing. Though rebooted MBP twice more and IGE shows up fine. Awesome mod, btw. Cheers.

[UPDATE] New feature: If you are using the Steam version of Civ5 then you can now subscribe to a Steam Workshop mod. It will then download to a folder on your Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/########/ugc/ *.
As of December 9, this no longer seems to work. :([/b][/i]

Possible dumb question: I still seem to be able to subscribe to Mods via Steam and they are downloaded to my computer ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/######/ugc/referenced/########/mod-name.civ5mod

In that last numbered file there are two files the "mod-name.civ5mod" file and another which is always "data.vdf"

So,
1. I assume I still need to edit the file adding hyphens as outlined in your step 3.

but
2. can I then leave the mod file where Steam put it or do I need to continue with your other steps, and is this ".civ5mod" file a compressed file requiring expanding with the proper program even though it downloaded from Steam?

thank you

If the download is still working for you, you seem to be one of the lucky ones. Maybe your copy of Steam hasn't updated itself yet?

Ignore the data.vdf file. You have to do all the steps, including editing the MainMenu.lua file(s), replacing an .xml file, and expanding each .civ5mod file using Ez7z and putting it in the correct MODS folder.

The place where Steam downloads it is presumably just a holding location. On a Windows system, downloaded Workshop files are expanded automatically and moved to the MODS folder.

I'm new to mod stuff, so I'm probably just messing something simple up.

I downloaded the Lord of the Rings civilizations from this thread. I have placed them in the correct folder (MODS) and I've changed the coding in "MainMenu.lua" to allow a "Mods" button in the main menu.

When I open up Civ V (I'm playing with Gods and Kings) I click mods, put check marks next to the LotR mods, and click next. I am then told that I am playing with those mods enabled.

Now here's the confusing part: when I choose the civilization to play as, I see none of them - not Rohan, nor Isengard, or Gondor. I can't choose them as opposing civilizations either.

Is this something you can help with? Or should I ask this question in the thread for the mod itself?

Thanks.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

They seem to work for me. After enabling Gondor and Isengard in the Mods screen, I click Next, and then Single Player, and then Set Up Game to get to the Setup screen. I can then select Aragorn - Gondor and/or Saruman - Isengard as civs, and click Start Game.

Are you saying that you next a "Next" button after the Mods screen? All I see is a "Back" button.

AlanH said:
I click Next, and then Single Player, and then Set Up Game to get to the Setup screen.
"Single Player" is a button that takes you forward. It seems to confuse people, although it is in the same style as other menu buttons. Maybe the problem is it's not one of a list.

I figured that it was something simple like that; thanks for letting me know. It works fine now. :)

Looking through this thread, it seems that it was determined a month ago that Steam had stopped allowing Macs to download mods from the Steam application (which is totally ridiculous). Is there an alternate way to get them (besides browsing this forum) or will I have to live with it?

Again, thanks for the help.

I don't know of a way to get mods directly from Steam Workshop in Mac OS X. The problem I came up against is finding out the download URL for any given mod.

If you can run the Windows version somewhere - Virtual Machine, Bootcamp, Wine, a Windows PC .... then you can use that version to download them, then copy them across to the Mac version.

All right, I'll try and boot up my dying Windows computer for that. Thanks.

Am I the only one who is not able to scroll down in the 'select a civilization' menu after installing a mod?

Top Bottom