Rising Sun: Civilisations of Old Japan (Updated for 2017!)

What a surprise! I wait months for comments concerning Rising Sun, and then three turn up at once. Tbh I've mostly retired from Civ modding, but I certainly still care enough about Rising Sun to post comments here.

@ForAPrice: I only figured out how to set unit upgrades after creating Akechi. It could be that this is an oversight... and it looks like you're right, I just checked the Akechi files and it doesn't mention any upgrades. Feel free to edit the files to change this (I don't have enough time on my hands nowadays to do it myself!). It's not too hard. Copy and paste some from other files if you need to.

@Idvhl: I know that that's the Konishi mon. I used Spain's sign because it looks fairly similar, and I used the Dutch leaderhead because I don't want to duplicate Putmalk's 10 leaderheads too much. By all means create a Konishi leaderhead if you want to. As for icons, if you want to create one, something close to the current Konishi scheme but not too close to Spain would be good.

Tbh Konishi usually gets taken over pretty early on by the AI, so I haven't noticed that much... Still significant though.

Thanks for commenting.

What a surprise! I wait months for comments concerning Rising Sun, and then three turn up at once. Tbh I've mostly retired from Civ modding, but I certainly still care enough about Rising Sun to post comments here.

@ForAPrice: I only figured out how to set unit upgrades after creating Akechi. It could be that this is an oversight... and it looks like you're right, I just checked the Akechi files and it doesn't mention any upgrades. Feel free to edit the files to change this (I don't have enough time on my hands nowadays to do it myself!). It's not too hard. Copy and paste some from other files if you need to.

@Idvhl: I know that that's the Konishi mon. I used Spain's sign because it looks fairly similar, and I used the Dutch leaderhead because I don't want to duplicate Putmalk's 10 leaderheads too much. By all means create a Konishi leaderhead if you want to. As for icons, if you want to create one, something close to the current Konishi scheme but not too close to Spain would be good.

Tbh Konishi usually gets taken over pretty early on by the AI, so I haven't noticed that much... Still significant though.

Thanks for commenting.

Aw, that's a shame. No one else seems interested in Japanese civilizations. I'm not really well versed in modifying files, not to mention I was testing this out to play with someone else using the MP management thingy. Oh wells. :(

That's unsurprising, since when someone comments it brings the thread to the top, where more people can see it and post more comments.

I'm thinking of downloading this pack and putting only Japanese civs in a game; should be interesting.

Hmmm... i should've seen this earlier. :p

Aw, that's a shame. No one else seems interested in Japanese civilizations. I'm not really well versed in modifying files, not to mention I was testing this out to play with someone else using the MP management thingy. Oh wells. :(

You can just copy and paste some of my lines of code and change the unit names. It's not that hard. Anyway, there are other civs in this mod than Akechi, and Akechi is still playable.

I'll see what I can do. I can do icons, leaderheads are another thing entirely though.

How's this for a West Kyushu icon?

Why all those modders are going on infinite vacations...

Probably because hobbies are some times way too occupying and stop you from doing things that truly matter?

Probably because hobbies are some times way too occupying and stop you from doing things that truly matter?

And where have you been, BttLsht? And since when you became so philosophical? Are we missing something?;)

@Idvhl: I like the colour scheme on that icon, but the gradient is a bit too strong so it's hard to distinguish between the kamon and the background near the top.

P.S. @the sudden Israeli presence: Do you really expect people to keep modding for the same game for two or three years in a row?

@Idvhl: I like the colour scheme on that icon, but the gradient is a bit too strong so it's hard to distinguish between the kamon and the background near the top.

P.S. @the sudden Israeli presence: Do you really expect people to keep modding for the same game for two or three years in a row?

Its not about expectations... I obviously don't expect any modder, but hey, most of them do.

I'll work on it!

Here you go Homusubi! I changed the colors slightly to differentiate better. Let me know what you think!

Are these civs compatible with YNAEMP?

Not sure... although, if you think about it, TSL Earth with these civs would result in every Japanese tile being occupied by a city.

I just wanted to say - great work! I love oda's new picture (way more badass)

With Chubu ("original" Japan) icon being yellow and black, I guess a change in colors would be nice. It kinda disoriented me that I still had white territory with red border. Minor mixmatch.

PS: was it necessary to nerf Oda to vanilla level? I'm really missing that bonus to fishing boats and attols :D
Well nevermind that. I just wish someone would make a standard/large REALISTIC terrain map of Japan (the civ5 one has random terrain, just shape) with real starting positions, for that ultimate unification war.. well, probably not. After all, civ5 IS quite old already.. guess most people have moved Beyond Earth :D

PS2: like this one:

Is there any chance the author or anyone else would continue working on this? Aka adding support for mods like "Civ4 Leader Traits" and "Events and Decisions"?

This mod was done a long time ago, before the culture addon I believe... Hopefully Homusubi will read that and will change this.

This mod was done a long time ago, before the culture addon I believe... Hopefully Homusubi will read that and will change this.

I can try to make an xml adding the leader traits (dunno why but one of these civs already HAVE leader traits, maybe because the leader is a copy of Siam's? dunno.. the other leader is a copy of William and he doesn't have traits..), but I can't really do anything about Events and Decisions, because I practically don't know squat about japanese history beyond that ~1 page they teach us in elementary school's history class.. and I don't wanna spend 3 weeks digging all over wiki to find something usable for all those leaders.
For now I play the original japs and don't care that AIs have no events and decisions..

I've downloaded The Mouchame Japan map from steam (the only Japan map that is properly positioned and is LARGE at least, instead of the ingame duel-small sizes), but I have to spend ANOTHER day editing it because that one has some weird connections between islands that shouldn't be there in the first place, WAY too many mountains, no rivers, etc. I've spent yesterday evening working on it but I still have a long way to go. Maybe if I'm free I'll even add a tiny strip of Korea and some smaller islands into that bare ocean.. The map may be large, but after adding ~17 Japanese civs it feels pretty tiny, good thing there is no file for overwriting city states with some japanese ones.

Attempting to fix the graphics in this mod is somewhere in my to-do list.

Top Bottom