Silly's First Civilization (Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale)

Louie was okay, but I loved using Tielle, personally.

Loving the new icon, though! Great work!

Kind of jealous you finished your first Civ so quickly while I'm still here drowning in Lua, haha.

I used Tielle for pretty much all of my adventuring (she's by far the easiest adventurer to do well with), but I feel that Louie is the more "iconic" adventurer.

Also, what are you trying to do with Lua? When I want to figure out how to do things, I take a look at existing mods that do something similar and see how their code works. Sometimes this leads to a dead end, but other times it will give you a good starting point.

Haha, yeah, Tielle was adorable too, which was a bonus, Otherwise being ranged makes things easier, but by far the best thing about her was that she is faster than Louie. Oh my god Louie was slow, haha.

But I'll agree Louie is the more iconic adventurer, since he is your first one.
I'm tempted to suggest having some sort of fun promotions for your Adventurer UU's in the form of True Cards, lol.

Anyway!
I am...doing quite a lot with Lua, surprisingly. Yet, when I think about it, it's not really all that amazing.. The main thing I'm doing is iterating over plots to find specific combinations of resources and improvements, and assign yields based on that. The hard part is tracking these tiles as they change both improvements and owners. Probably 80% of my script right now is logic for handling different scenarios.

Eventually I'll have a few more things done in Lua, but right now I need to finish this before I move on. After three weeks on this Civ, I think I might finally be able to release a teaser in the next one or two days.

I think I did something wrong with my first attempt at adding in a new model.

Anyways, I put in one of Danrell's models and edited the textures slightly. This is what it looks like in game. I'm reasonably satisfied with it.

Well, time to upload to steam I guess?

Looks good, although I don't know if you want to turn that model into a single unit; Not sure if it's possible with custom models, since I've never used any.

I know Kael's guide talked about modifying his UU to be a larger version of one warrior instead of a group of 10.

Alright, the mod is up on Steam now.

I had no idea you had to upload mods from ModBuddy. Since I do all my modding in Notepad, I had to transfer everything over, which was sort of a pain. Oh well. At least I know for next time.

Anyways, I'm probably going to get started right away on a second mod. So I'm going to ask you guys, what type of new civilization do you want to see? What is it focused on? Any UA/UU/UB ideas that you find particularly interesting?

I'll probably base my second mod off of Magic: the Gathering, but I can be persuaded to do something different if you come up with a really good idea. I will need help brainstorming cool Uniques though.

I'll probably base my second mod off of Magic: the Gathering, but I can be persuaded to do something different if you come up with a really good idea. I will need help brainstorming cool Uniques though.

Kind of curious what sort of M:tG civ(s) you'd come up with -- there's certainly a huge selection of societies to choose from, but most of them seem either too narrow or two broad. I guess you could represent something like Theros as a civ (since it's basically equivalent to Greece). On the other hand, something like Bant?

So wondering what sorts of ideas you might have :3

Kind of curious what sort of M:tG civ(s) you'd come up with -- there's certainly a huge selection of societies to choose from, but most of them seem either too narrow or two broad. I guess you could represent something like Theros as a civ (since it's basically equivalent to Greece). On the other hand, something like Bant?

So wondering what sorts of ideas you might have :3

I'm probably going to do Innistrad. I want to try a faith based defensive civ. The only problem is that I'm currently running into the Theodora problem, where the civ is too dependent on getting a religion with no early method of generating faith. And JFD has already stolen the great idea of "faith from city defense" for his Hungary mod.

I'm partial to old-school Magic, so...

Civilization: Dominaria
Leader: Urza

UA: Urza's Legacy
May build special Unique Improvements on certain tiles. If the three Unique Improvements are built adjacent to each other, their Yields are tripled.

Not enough room to explain it all in the Civilopedia, so here are the said UIs:
Urza's Mine: Built on Hills, functions as a normal Mine
Urza's Tower: Built on a Coastal tile, functions as a Trading Post
Urza's Power Plant: Built on a flat Grassland or Plains tile, functions as a half-effectiveness Manufactory

If all three are adjacent, their yields are tripled.

UU: Urza's Armored Infantry
Replaces Great War Infantry. +15% strength while Defending and +15% Defense vs. Ranged Attacks.

UB: Urza's Factory
Replaces Factory. In the City Screen, you may "tap" this building. Doing so gives your city a significant (-200%) Production penalty until your next turn, but instantly generates an Assembly-Worker Unit, a melee Unit with 24 Combat Strength.

I'm probably going to do Innistrad. I want to try a faith based defensive civ. The only problem is that I'm currently running into the Theodora problem, where the civ is too dependent on getting a religion with no early method of generating faith. And JFD has already stolen the great idea of "faith from city defense" for his Hungary mod.

Hmmm... while I've got some ideas that could help, I just realized I'm thinking from the "necromancy" side of things, as opposed to the "beleaguered humans" side of things... X3 I can't remember what the white-aligned human community was in Innistrad. It is an interesting question about how to generate early faith and encourage defense... although if you could solve the "early faith" problem, maybe faith contributes to city defense? Inverting the Hungary approach, it'd suit the ability of holy power to ward off the undead and other threats...

Hmmm... while I've got some ideas that could help, I just realized I'm thinking from the "necromancy" side of things, as opposed to the "beleaguered humans" side of things... X3 I can't remember what the white-aligned human community was in Innistrad.

Basically beset on all sides by undead monstrosities and slowly losing hope because their patron deity has disappeared.

Well, yeah, I just can't remember its name. X3

There are a bunch of human cities. Thraben? Gavony?

Anyways, I've come up with a decent UA. I just really need something interesting that provides early faith.

UA: Hope - Cities following your religion cannot be damaged. Instead, being attacked reduces the number of followers your religion has in that city.

I've whipped up a basic lua for this UA. The only current problem I have is that if one of my cities gets damaged, and then later converts to my religion, it will instantly heal to full health.

I just really need something interesting that provides early faith.

What might count as "interesting"? There seems to be only so many ways to gather faith (terrain, buildings, kills?)... I suppose it's more on the interconnection between things (such as faith from defensive buildings) rather than the methods themselves.

Still, would a UI be a possibility? I was looking at some creepy undead-themed buildings to use for my Mima civilization, but there are some interesting-looking human shrines that might be usable for UI graphics...

What might count as "interesting"? There seems to be only so many ways to gather faith (terrain, buildings, kills?)... I suppose it's more on the interconnection between things (such as faith from defensive buildings) rather than the methods themselves.

Still, would a UI be a possibility? I was looking at some creepy undead-themed buildings to use for my Mima civilization, but there are some interesting-looking human shrines that might be usable for UI graphics...

A UI might be possible. The main problem with a UI is that you have to build a worker first, and then build the improvement, and then work the improvement. It's not like someone like Boudicca, who just gets free faith from the beginning of the game, or Ethiopia, who gets extra faith from something you were going to get anyways (monument).

A UI might be possible. The main problem with a UI is that you have to build a worker first, and then build the improvement, and then work the improvement. It's not like someone like Boudicca, who just gets free faith from the beginning of the game, or Ethiopia, who gets extra faith from something you were going to get anyways (monument).

Yeah, I'd been thinking about that earlier when I was considering something like a Crypt UI for Mima. Although in Mima's case she doesn't really need early faith for a religion, she just wants it midgame to support her army (hopefully!), so she can get away with it.

If you want early game faith production, then it pretty much has to be a passive effect -- either from terrain, buildings, or other elements you want to be doing (like killing barbarians). Although I know I tend to be a bit limited in imagination... so I suspect someone will come up with a method I would never have imagined :p

So I updated the Recettear mod. Apparently the Lua script that gave bonus gold upon completing the theming bonus in the market was broken because I forgot to add comment tags to a comment. Also, I rebalanced the market slightly. It now gives 50% gold upon completing the theming bonus (down from 100%) but now also provides a 50% increase in Great Work tourism upon completing the theming bonus as well.

Also, little teaser for the Magic: the Gathering civ that I'm working on. I finished a few of the graphics.

Spoiler :

If a moderator is reading this, could one of you change the thread title to something along the lines of "Silly's Fictional Civilizations"? It would be nice if I didn't have to make a second thread now that I'm making more than one mod.

Anyways, here are the uniques for the MtG civ. Any comments on balance or ideas on potential changes?
Spoiler :

Avacyn - Innistrad

UA: Angel of Hope - When one of your cities is attacked, if it is following your religion, that city loses one follower instead of taking damage.

UU: Cathar - Replaces Longswordsman. Starts with a unique promotion, Zealot, which causes kills to exert religious pressure on nearby cities and converts cities to your religion upon capture.

UB: Angel's Tomb - Replaces Shrine. More expensive to produce (60 hammers instead of 40), but provides +1 faith for every 2 citizens in the city instead of a flat +1 faith. City exerts double religious pressure after adopting a religion.

I can't comment too well on how accurate it is to the source material, since I stopped playing after Rise of the Eldrazi, so I'll just comment from a gameplay perspective.

The UA sounds pretty cool, but perhaps way too powerful if it is only one follower regardless of the damage dealt to the city. A city with 15+ followers would be damn near impregnable, especially with Missionaries being fed to it. Perhaps it should be "each 10 damage done to the City instead causes the city to lose one follower"? The value can be changed if needed; perhaps 15 would be much better without still being too good.

The UU sounds fine.

For the UB, I'd say cut the religious pressure modifier down to maybe 25% at the most. Double pressure essentially means you get a Grand Temple in every City -- especially powerful since it is from Shrines and not Temples. Also, I'm not exactly sure if Faith works as a Yield Per Population...I know Culture doesn't, and Faith has a lot of the same problems Culture does. But I'd have to test it for sure.

The UA sounds pretty cool, but perhaps way too powerful if it is only one follower regardless of the damage dealt to the city. A city with 15+ followers would be damn near impregnable, especially with Missionaries being fed to it. Perhaps it should be "each 10 damage done to the City instead causes the city to lose one follower"? The value can be changed if needed; perhaps 15 would be much better without still being too good.
Just pointing out, the ability only works if you're the majority religion in the city. So if you have a 10 population city with 10 followers, your city can only take five hits before it converts back to your pantheon and loses protection. I do see some merit for conversion based on damage though, but I would need to come up with a good number that doesn't completely destroy your followers early game where they are most vulnerable.

For the UB, I'd say cut the religious pressure modifier down to maybe 25% at the most. Double pressure essentially means you get a Grand Temple in every City -- especially powerful since it is from Shrines and not Temples. Also, I'm not exactly sure if Faith works as a Yield Per Population...I know Culture doesn't, and Faith has a lot of the same problems Culture does. But I'd have to test it for sure.

Also reasonable. I just stole the Grand Temple xml code, but there's no reason why I couldn't change it to 25%. Also, faith doesn't work as a yield per population. I tested it already. But its an easy fix with a lua script and a dummy building that provides faith.

Just pointing out, the ability only works if you're the majority religion in the city. So if you have a 10 population city with 10 followers, your city can only take five hits before it converts back to your pantheon and loses protection. I do see some merit for conversion based on damage though, but I would need to come up with a good number that doesn't completely destroy your followers early game where they are most vulnerable.

That does make it sound a lot more balanced -- I for some reason assumed that it would just keep taking damage as follower loss as long as there were followers of your founded religion in the City. In that case, 15 damage should be fine...perhaps even 20. It would warrant some playtesting.

Also, faith doesn't work as a yield per population. I tested it already. But its an easy fix with a lua script and a dummy building that provides faith.

True enough. Was mainly just giving you a heads-up about it. It's not an ideal solution compared to the XML alternative actually working properly, but alas.

Top Bottom