Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Yeah I proposed that meaning it would need a FW requirement.

It only really works as a Classical-era Garden replacement, to be honest. You still have a good chance of getting a pantheon if it is in Classical Era - otherwise, there's not much that works. If it's a Shrine replacement, the Fresh Water requirement simply has to be dropped, regardless of the name - otherwise, you're going to find it difficult to get a religion, and while this wouldn't be too bad from a historical perspective, it simply doesn't work in game unless it's focused on not getting a religion in some sense.

It only really works as a Classical-era Garden replacement, to be honest. You still have a good chance of getting a pantheon if it is in Classical Era - otherwise, there's not much that works. If it's a Shrine replacement, the Fresh Water requirement simply has to be dropped, regardless of the name - otherwise, you're going to find it difficult to get a religion, and while this wouldn't be too bad from a historical perspective, it simply doesn't work in game unless it's focused on not getting a religion in some sense.

Actually, the start bias for the Blackfoot essentially starts you near a river 9/10. I tested this. I don't like the idea for the Garden replacement simply because I like the appeal of something being instantly available. We also want to keep the potential redesign as quick and painless as possible. If we change it to a Classical Garden replacement, we'll have to think of a new trait to make the building interesting and we're really strapped for time.

As for difficulty founding a religion - Have you actually played the Blackfoot? Every game that I have, I have managed to found a religion.

I do like the idea of a Granary replacement that provides +1 Faith and +1 Faith on Lakes and Oases being available at Agriculture though.

I've not played a game with anything in nine months or so, so I can only go by what I think should happen. :p Perhaps the best solution would be to use a different building as a Shrine replacement altogether? You can found a religion fine, presumably, but maintaining it may be the issue. Forfeiting the Grand Temple for a guaranteed religion/pantheon doesn't sound great, though I can't remember how good the Grand Temple actually is.

You aren't forfeiting it at all, you just have to be careful where you settle. As with most Pantheons - don't expect to found a religion if you don't pick a pantheon that provides Faith.

Okay, here's my cents.

So far, one person has commented on this being a show-stopper. For me, it's actually one of the things that makes the Blackfoot great! Especially because all of the settlements that the Blackfoot made that Canada took over are *on* rivers.

So, although I'd like to dialogue more on the subject, I am 100% fine with saying "I'm keeping it the way it is right now... if it's a show-stopper for a few people, that's okay" ... but again, I'd like to hear from Leugi, TPangolin, and Viregel on this idea.

Especially because I don't want to make any decisions bad enough to contradict the quality requirements of, say, Patria Grande (which we are honored to be a part of.)

The truth is that CL and, say, PG have two different ideas of what makes a good civ. To me, a civ that can force you to look for specific city areas is cool and therefore "better" -- but that's not necessarily true for Leugi's or other players' views of quality.

So, let me know. I'm okay with having a warstyle civ that is tough to play high-religion. If this was a faithstyle civ, this would be a gamebreaking showstopper.

No need to make it classical, seriously, all Gardens do is multiply the GP rate... before Classical youre not getting many (if any) GP points eo it sn't gamebreaking to make an instantly available garden...

So if you go agriculture-garden, not only do you deal with the Grand Temple issue..h but you are also granting them a way of getting more faith aside from shrines (so even more faithmongering) and you're granting uniqueness to the civ.

What I'm advocating for is to leave it as a Shrine replacement. Instead of requiring a source of Fresh Water, the Nato-oh-Siskoom would provide a source of Fresh Water to adjacent tiles (similar to the Piquous from the Nazca).

The +1 Faith alongside +1 Faith on Lakes and Oases (and no maintenance) would also stay.

How does everyone feel about reducing the Buffalo XP to +1? I found it to be quite powerful for a turtle player such as myself. If we are reducing the XP, should we add any other minor traits?

2 XP every turn on buffalo does seem a bit overpowered. How about it caps when the unit hits level 2 or 3?

In the line of additional traits, how about they gain a +10% combat bonus to mounted soldiers if they have a source of buffalo?

Just a quick revision of Cuba, any thoughts?

Unique Ability: Viva la Revolution!
Whenever a :c5greatperson: Great Writer, Artist or Musician is born, Cities enter a Resistance followed by a :c5goldenage: Golden Age. Gain +3 :c5gold: Gold for every +1 :tourism: Tourism produced upon signing an Open Borders treaty.

Unique Building: Dance Hall
Unlike the Opera House that it replaces, when the Great Work of Music slot is filled in a Dance Hall - the city gains +1 :c5happiness: Happiness and :c5production: Military production is increased by 10%. After an Ideology is adopted, the Dance Hall will provide a +10% Bonus to Great Person generation.

Unique Unit: Guerrillero
Replacing the GWI, the Guerrillero Ignores Terrain Cost and May move after attacking. If recruited in a city with a Writers, Artist or Musicians Guild, it will provide a boost of :c5greatperson: Great Person points of the appropriate kind.

How about that same UA firing on the completion or opening of a Social Policy Tree?

Well, first comment is the pedantic one: It's "¡Viva la Revolución!" as the spanglish name sounds awkward...

I agree that those may end up being too many Golden Ages, why not replace the Golden Age in the UA with a "Love the King Day"?

For the Dance Hall, I feel like it should have a base bonus, I'd add the +1 Culture to it. Also, the after Ideology bonus would look better if it only produced points towards Great Musicians I think.

Guerrillero sounds fine, is a tad powerful.

For everyone banging on about how there will be too many golden ages... er... did y'all miss the part where there's three turns of anarchy beforehand? According to my notes, anarchy? Pretty bad. I think it balances it out quite nicely. =]

For everyone banging on about how there will be too many golden ages... er... did y'all miss the part where there's three turns of anarchy beforehand? According to my notes, anarchy? Pretty bad. I think it balances it out quite nicely. =]

I'd agree if generating GWAMs was a conscious choice, then you'd be adding in an opportunity cost to your actions, but as it is it just sort of forces you to sit through a cycle of anarchy and golden age, there isn't really a trade off just 2 events constantly happening, except one of them is annoying.

Hate to be off topic, but I just wanted to add that in my last couple games against the Inuit, their Inuksuk did not appear to be adding any yields to other tiles other than the small amount of culture on the inuksuk itself. The tile claiming seemed to be working fine. Unfortunately, I just switched laptops and the screenshot system doesn't seem to work on this, so I don't have photo evidence.

Top Bottom