European Union

Good to hear that a new version is up!
Perhaps you could keep a changelog? I would be nice to know what has been changed and added since the last version.
Also, your attachments, which it appears you have updated, seem to be broken.

The Attachement links don't click?
Some English sentences have changed since V.3

V.4 Changelog
Added Eurofighter Tycoon, Blurb
Added European Central Bank, Blurb, Icon
Downgraded Unique Unit Abilites to match default, except for German Panzer and French Foreign Legion, units still used in the EU.
Updated references to European Commission instead of Council

having a civ with strong advantages and equally strong disadvantages makes sense for a human player, but I would not be sure the AI is capable of handling it. As a result, I would suggest smaller advantages and no disadvantages to allow this civilization to be AI "usable".

My little comment here - You can mark civ not to be playable by AI, only by Human Player, and then the problem no longer exists :)

hi emerald_knight
i need help for make new factions and new leaders
can you help me?
i want make some new factions, new leaders and new units for all the factions
and others
can you help me?

The Attachement links don't click?
Some English sentences have changed since V.3

V.4 Changelog
Added Eurofighter Tycoon, Blurb
Added European Central Bank, Blurb, Icon
Downgraded Unique Unit Abilites to match default, except for German Panzer and French Foreign Legion, units still used in the EU.
Updated references to European Commission instead of Council

Sounds good Emerald!
I still think you should "downgrade" the Panzer and the Foreign Legion to standard stats, while preserving their unique graphics, like Kadath suggested. The EU will be overpowered if it has more UU's or UB's than other civs, and currently it has 3 UU's and 1 UB, the double of a regular civ.
What stats have you given to the Eurofighter Typhoon and the ECB, btw? And also, did you implement the Common Market UA?

My little comment here - You can mark civ not to be playable by AI, only by Human Player, and then the problem no longer exists :)

No, that's a bad idea. First off you want to be able to play against this civ. Secondly, it shouldn't even be overpowered like that in the first place, both for balance reasons and so that the AI can actually manage to play it. Just my to cents.

The EU is a collection of civilizations, so I think it should have a slight edge among single civs; I'll probably downgrade the Panzer and the Foreign Legion to just have a slight edge above it's default counterparts in order to have a slight edge overall in the late game. But all the other older unique units have same the stats as their default counterparts.

The ECB is 50% gold yield opposed to the Stock Exchange's 33%
The Typhoon has +5 Ranged Combat over the Jetfighter
And the Common Market UA is implemented as well!

I gotta admit, I disagree there. While I understand the reasoning, I prioritize balance more I guess.
But it's your mod, so you're of course allowed to do as you see fit. You still did some nice work, I gotta admit.
Would you mind, though, if I made my own version based on your mod? I will of course give credit. :)

With credit and linkback to original, sure go for it! What did you have in mind for your version?

P.S. When 3D Graphics modding evolves, I'll take your Mr. Jacques Delors to replace Mr. George Washington ;)

Of course - that would only be fair for me to do. :)

Well, first off there's the issue with the UU's from other civs. I would also change the ECB to affect maintenance costs instead, as I suggested earlier. And I think I will change the Eurofighter to start with the Evasion promotion as well, rather than the increased strength.
And depending on how you implemented Open Market, I might change that around as well. How does it work currently?
Besides that, I would probably like to change some wording as well as correct some of the factual errors in the descriptions. And lastly I would try to see if I can get an artist involved to do some custom graphics - 2D as well as 3D - and maybe change some of the pictures you have used, until then.
That's what I had in mind. :)

Hahah, but yeah - replacing Georgey Boy with Jackie Del, would be awesome :D
Maybe one of us will able to get the help of an artist, to do that? :)

EDIT:
By the way, could you provide a link to your mod? I've recently had to switch to a much older machine, which can't run CiV. I reckon I could still use the mod tools, though - but I can't get the mod from the in-game mod browser, as I can't currently launch the game. Working on this little baby, might be a good distraction for me, until I can play CiV again. :D

Somebody proposed to handle the german translation, I could handle the french translation.

tell me if interested.

That was just an example :) but there is some more I could think of, so you could choose to make the civ more balanced.

To be honest a civ with lot of advantages and lot of disadvantages is a good idea - it is uniqe and different then other :)

Other examples:
- EU, in the real world, pays villgers for not growing anything so maybe some food production penalty? I don't know how big, but I should not be too big or it will make the civ unplayable.
- EU has an army created of national armies (and because of that there is so much unique units) but it makes it cost higher - maybe 2Gold per Unit (GpU)?
- EU has some strict laws on Human Rights and Equality of Everyone, etc. - so maybe you could disable militaristic or non-democratic policy trees, to make the player play as a real EU (peace and love and social care for everyone inside :) )
- EU has a lot of beurocracy which makes things cost more - so maybe increased cost of production of all things (f.ex +10 or +20%) or double cost of "road maintanance"

Hope my ideas are helpfull :)

The problem with some of those ideas is that, while a simple change such as 1 to 2 gold per unit cost seems fine, one must consider the late-game implications, which would mean that your total army maintenance would DOUBLE :p

Tbh i'd love this mod even without any downsides, but with just the eurofighter and the bank UU / UB.

The problem with some of those ideas is that, while a simple change such as 1 to 2 gold per unit cost seems fine, one must consider the late-game implications, which would mean that your total army maintenance would DOUBLE :p

Tbh i'd love this mod even without any downsides, but with just the eurofighter and the bank UU / UB.

Exactly!
Anyway, stay tuned, because I am creating just such a variant of this mod. :)

Hi Hulfgard; French would be tres bien.
Ive also added screenshots of the civlopedia but perhaps Skafsgaard would like to provide some corrections and additions to it first before beginning translation?
When I'm on my home computer I'll package the source code for Civfantic download!
Thanks Baleur!

Yes we will wait for the translation until you think the mod is ready for it.
And it will be easier if it's on Civfanatics to upload and download it.

Technically not a civilization or country for that matter, but awesome nonetheless.

You should introduce it as a civic.

Not a civ, but a collection of civs!

Version 6
German Panzer Combat from 60 to 52; Tank is 50
French Foreign Legion from 36 to 30; Infantry is 36; Foreign Legion still has foreign land bonus.
All other UUs attributes equivalent to corresponding default unit attributes.

Submitted to CivFanatics Downloads

Here is the English Language Text for Correction / Translation Purposes

<Language_en_US>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_COMMON_MARKET">
<Text>The European Common Market allows the free circulation of goods, capital, people and services between member nations.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_COMMON_MARKET_SHORT">
<Text>The Common Market</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_HEADING_1">
<Text>History</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_TEXT_1">
<Text>The Current President of the European Commission of the European Union is José Manuel Barroso (1956 - ) The President of the European Commission is the head of the executive branch of the European Union and, as such, determines the policy agenda and legislative proposals. The position was formed when the European Commission was formed, but under the leadership of Jacques Lucien Jean Delors ( 1925 - ), the office became more of the presidential post it is now.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_LIVED">
<Text>N/A</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_NAME">
<Text>President of the European Commission</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_SUBTITLE">
<Text>Leader of the European Union</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT">
<Text>European Commission President</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_HEADING_1">
<Text>Game Info</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_HEADING_2">
<Text>History</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_TEXT_1">
<Text>The Benefit of the European Union is the alliance of the European nations under a common currency and trade zone, dubbed the Eurozone. The EU has the strength of the French culture, English naval power, German military power, Greece and Italy's history. Unique Units such as the German Panzer and the French Foreign Legion are still in limited use in the European Union today; however, older unique units like the Greek Hoplite and English Longbowman's Unique Units are merely for show. The European Union's unique unit is the Eurofighter Typhoon, a jet fighter used to patrol Europe with its greater range, and the European Central Bank, administrator of the Euro, and one of the most important central banks in the world.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_TEXT_2">
<Text>The European Union grew out of the culmination of several treaties among European nations beginning in the 1950s. The Treaty of Maastricht formally established the European Union and created a single currency, The Euro. There are 27 Member Nations of the Union. Brussels is currently the de facto capital of the European Union; Luxembourg hosts some of the judicial branches; Strasbourg hosts the Parliament and Frankfurt hosts the European Central Bank. The current president of the European Commission is José Manuel Barroso and the current president of the European Council is Herman Van Rompuy.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_HELP">
<Text>European Central Bank</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_TEXT">
<Text>The European Central Bank is the administrator and producer of the European currency, the Euro. They monitor the Eurozone and regulates the Euro's usage throughout the European Union.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_STRATEGY">
<Text>The European Central Bank yields 17% more gold than the Stock Exchange, because of the standard currency used throughout Europe.</Text>
</Row>
<Text>President of the European Commission</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON">
<Text>Eurofighter Typhoon</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_UNITS_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON_TEXT">
<Text>The Eurofighter Typhoon is a twin-engine canard-delta wing multirole aircraft used by many European nations, including England, Germany, Italy and Spain.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON_STRATEGY">
<Text>The Eurofighter Typhoon has greater ranged combat than the Jet Fighter, but costs more to build.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_DAWN_EUROPEAN_UNION_TEXT">
<Text>Welcome, Mr. President of the European Commission! You are the head of the highest office in the European Union. The European Union comprises the nations of England, France, Germany, Greece, and Italy among many others. Born from decades of cooperation and formalized through the Masstrict Treaty, the European Union is a powerhouse on the world stage with a GDP of over 12 billion Euros, over 500 million citizens and some of the finest cultural artifacts in the world. [NEWLINE][NEWLINE]The European Union needs a leader to bring peace and prosperity to the Union. Mr. President, can you lead the Union? Can you build a supranational civilization to stand the test of time?</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_DESC">
<Text>The European Union</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_SHORT_DESC">
<Text>European Union</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_ADJECTIVE">
<Text>Europeans</Text>
</Row>
</Language_en_US>

Here is the french translation :

<!-- French Language Text -->
<Language_fr_FR>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_COMMON_MARKET">
<Text>Le Marché Unique Européen permet la libre circulation des biens, capitaux, personnes et services entre les nations membres.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_TRAIT_COMMON_MARKET_SHORT">
<Text>Marché Unique</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_HEADING_1">
<Text>Histoire</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_TEXT_1">
<Text>Le Président actuel de la Commission est José Manuel Barroso (1956 - ). Le Président de la Commission est la tête de la branche exécutive de l'Union Européenne et, comme tel, détermine l'agenda politique et les propositions législatives. La position fut créée à la formation de la Commission Européenne mais sous la dirigeance de Jacques Lucien Jean Delors ( 1925 - ), la fonction devint plus le poste présidentiel qu'il est maintenant.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_LIVED">
<Text>N/A</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_NAME">
<Text>Président de la Commission Européenne</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_LEADERS_EURO_UNION_PRESIDENT_SUBTITLE">
<Text>Dirigeant de l'Union Européenne</Text>
</Row>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_HEADING_1">
<Text>Game Info</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_HEADING_2">
<Text>Histoire</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_TEXT_1">
<Text>Le bénéfice de l'Union Européenne est l'alliance des Nations Européennes sous une monnaie et zone d'échange communes, appelée la Zone Euro. L'UE a la force de la culture Française, de la puissance navale Anglaise, de la puissance militaire Allemande ainsi que l'Histoire de la Grèce et de l'Italy. Les unités uniques telles que le panzer Allemand et la Légion étrangère Française sont toujours utilisées par l'Union Européenne de nos jours. Cependant les unités uniques les plus vieilles tels que l'Hoplite Grec et l'Archer long Anglais sont surtout là pour le spectacle. L'unité unique de l'Union Européenne est le Chasseur Européen Typhon. Un chasseur à réaction utilisé pour patrouiller l'Europe avec sa grande portée. Le bâtiment unique est la Banque Centrale Européenne, administratrice de l'Euro et l'une des plus importantes banques centrales au monde.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_EURO_UNION_TEXT_2">
<Text>L'Union Européenne est l'aboutissement de plusieurs traités entre Européens depuis les années 50. Le traité de Maastricht établit formellement l'Union Européenne et créa une monnaie unique, l'Euro. L'Union compte 27 Nations Membres. Bruxelles est actuellement la capitale de facto de l'Union Européenne; Luxembourg héberge une partie de la branche Judiciaire, Strasbourg est le siège du Parlement et Francfort accueille la Banque Centrale Européenne. Le Président actuel de la Commission est José Manuel Barroso et l'actuel Président du Conseil Européen est Herman van Rompuy.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_HELP">
<Text>Banque Centrale Européenne</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_TEXT">
<Text>La Banque Centrale Européenne est l'administrateur et le producteur de la monnaie unique européenne, l'Euro. Elle contrôle la zone Euro et régularise l'usage de l'Euro dans l'Union Européenne.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_EURO_CENTRAL_BANK_STRATEGY">
<Text>La Banque Centrale Européenne rapporte 17% d'or en plus que la Bourse grâce à la monnaie unique en vigueur dans toute l'Europe.</Text>
</Row>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON">
<Text>Chasseur Européen Typhon</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_UNITS_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON_TEXT">
<Text>Le Chasseur Européen Typhon est un bi-réacteur multi-rôles à ailes canard-delta mis en service par de nombreuses nations européennes dont l'Allemagne, l'Angleterre, l'Espagne et l'Italie.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_UNIT_EUROFIGHTER_TYPHOON_STRATEGY">
<Text>Le Chasseur Européen Typhon a une plus grande portée de combat que le chasseur à réaction mais coûte plus cher à produire.</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_DAWN_EUROPEAN_UNION_TEXT">
<Text>Bienvenue, Monsieur le Président de la Commission Européenne! Vous êtes le dirigeant du plus haut organisme de l'Union Européenne. L'Union Européenne inclus les nations de l'Allemagne, l'Angleterre, la France, la Grèce et l'Italie parmi beaucoup d'autres. Née de décades de coopération et formalisée par le traité de Maastricht, l'Union Européenne est une puissance mondiale avec un Produit National Brut de plus de 12 milliards d'Euros, plus de 500 million de citoyens et certains des plus beaux artefacts culturels du monde.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]L'Union Européenne a besoin d'un dirigeant pour lui apporter Paix et Prospérité. Monsieur le Président pouvez vous mener l'Union? Pouvez vous construire une civilisation qui résistera au test du temps?</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_DESC">
<Text>L'Union Européenne</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_SHORT_DESC">
<Text>Union Européenne</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV_EURO_UNION_ADJECTIVE">
<Text>Européens</Text>
</Row>
</Language_fr_FR>

Great idea! However, I think that the European Union "common market" Special Ability should be more about forging alliances with city states since one can argue that the European Union is all about that (huge commercial alliances). So what about this:

Common market
- City states generates trade routes with your capital as if they were a part of your empire
- You gain double luxury resources from friendly city states (yup, accumulative with patronage ;))
- +1 production all over your empire per friendly city state

This is, btw, really rather silly.

The EU, has what, a tiny short existance in history, at yet has giant bonuses (a stock market +50% compared to, what, New York's, the largest in the world? How does that work, being 50% bigger than the largest in the world?). EU Hoplites? EU longbowmen? What?

Civ is meant to be played, not realistic. Otherwise, the United States, which has an economy almost the same size as the entire EU, and a military many times larger, and only super power left after the cold war, should look something like this:

United States:
+50% research rate after the Industrial Era
all modern era units have +50% strength (to reflect America's unmatched military technologies)
+100% gold from stock exchange

And China would look like this:
+100% population growth rate
Gain Writing for free upon entering the Ancient Era, Civil Service in the Classical Era, Gunpowder and Compass in the Medieval Era
Workshop of the world: +50% hammers in the Modern age

while other civ's are less impressive historically:

Aztecs:
50% less research (despite having large populations, they still had ancient era technologies in the 1400's)
cannot build units that require iron or horses
cannot advance past the classical age

Iroquis:
Cannot have cities that have population larger than 1.

and so on...

So its clear that Civ V is not meant to reflect reality, but just be balenced and fun. As it stands, the EU is not balenced. The EU should have a regular UA (most are very weak). Maybe something like, 100% less unhappiness from number of cities, +25% more unhappiness from population. The EU is full of small countries and cities, so that makes sense.

The Typhoon is a good UU. Instead of a stock exchange, a better UB might be a "Member City Capital" building that can be built in every city, and provide +5 culture. Each City will represent one of EU's countries, and Europe as a whole is oozing with culture (and not so much money, look at the EU debts crisis).

Top Bottom