LOTR Mod Downloads and Discussion thread

As far as I know, there is no way to mod in natural wonders with new graphics

Not sure if this is relevant, but if you search for "Luboric Resource" in the steam workshop you should find a mod created by Androrc which includes new resource art files. The mod changes the color of copper to green so that Luboric may be used alongside Uranium without repeating art.

I got a question, with the map of LOTR, it seems to me that raw materiels are always in the same spots, and that there are very few of them. I think there are just 3 iron, 1 horse, etc. If so can more be added, and can they change with each new game?

I got a question, with the map of LOTR, it seems to me that raw materiels are always in the same spots, and that there are very few of them. I think there are just 3 iron, 1 horse, etc. If so can more be added, and can they change with each new game?

You mean the one on the workshop? I didn't make that. You'll have to talk to the creator.

And just so everyone knows, we keep having strange power cuts and we don't know how long they might last so don't be alarmed if I vanish.

you know, the whole idea so incredible awesome!

i only wish you would use custom artwork and portraits (hand drawn from your own (or other fans) imagination) instead of using the portraits from that ... "not so good" movie.

is there anyone who shares my opinion?

ps: are you The Little One from Starcraft???

pss: as for ideas:

-why not make a natural wonder "The Old Forest" or "Fangorn Forest" consisting of multiple tiles of special forest (like the great barrier reef)
rohan could receive the ability to "purchase Ent-Warriors with faith" if the "Fangorn Forest" natural wonder is inside their borders

question about the dwarven forge:
is it possible to split the promotion to new units into lets say:
-dwarven mithril armour (+20% defense) if mithril nearby
-dwarven iron armour (+10% defense) if iron nearby

making mithril a very sacrce, if not unique resource this could maybe not be op but would add a whole lot of flavour imo

A agree with DrunkenRine... but only because the material is copyrighted... I personnaly kinda liked the movie :D

you know, the whole idea so incredible awesome!

i only wish you would use custom artwork and portraits (hand drawn from your own (or other fans) imagination) instead of using the portraits from that ... "not so good" movie.

is there anyone who shares my opinion?

ps: are you The Little One from Starcraft???

pss: as for ideas:

-why not make a natural wonder "The Old Forest" or "Fangorn Forest" consisting of multiple tiles of special forest (like the great barrier reef)
rohan could receive the ability to "purchase Ent-Warriors with faith" if the "Fangorn Forest" natural wonder is inside their borders

question about the dwarven forge:
is it possible to split the promotion to new units into lets say:
-dwarven mithril armour (+20% defense) if mithril nearby
-dwarven iron armour (+10% defense) if iron nearby

making mithril a very sacrce, if not unique resource this could maybe not be op but would add a whole lot of flavour imo

Well I'm always open to art but since I have no skill whatsoever in art and Semprini does a very good job of making good icons from the 'not so good movie', that's how it will stay for now.

No I don't play Starcraft.

I think I could make a special resource which allows ents to be made. I could just call the resource Fangorn Forest and have it only spawn in one place on a map.

I don't think the thing with the forge is possible unfortunately.

And @calavente, I'm pretty sure copyright is only an issue if I'm trying to make profit from it, which I am not and never will.

Ok, I've been doing a bit of research into the whole copyright thing and nothing's really been very clear... Some places have said that it's fine so long as I'm not making profit, others have basically been saying I need permission to do anything to do with LOTR.

I'm not really sure what to do for now. I've been trying to find out exactly who owns the copyrights for all the stuff I've been using but there doesn't seem to be any one company. Does anyone else know anything about the issue? because I don't really want to carry on making mods if there's a chance I'm going to have to take it all down, or even pay a fine

@theLittleOne :
well, take what I'll sy with a grain of salt as I'm not 100% sure of US IP law. (but you'll get the one from the rest of the world).

Personnaly I think you are not infringing.

Further, in any cases, the risk of you being condemned to a fine is (normally) very tiny :
-no profit whatsoever (not even by adds revenue)

-fan-work is treated a bit differently (it's not like taking the art from an unknown artiste for an unknown purpose when he would have needed you to buy it: here you are making a fan-work somehow derived from the film (you are not ripping the film off). I don't think nobody is gonna sue fangames based on master of Orion, Firefly, Star wars, Dune, star trek...etc (it was different in case of FFH... where art had to be ultra clean on the copyright side because the Age of Ice scenario was sold as part of a cIV extension)

-the art you use is inspired by the art of the film but is not the film per se (you are not using wholes images of the film nor animated section of the film).

-further many of those images are often re-worked to fit better/ have a different touch so they are not exactly the intellectual property as created by the film's team, even if it is close.

But personaly I like original art (or at least art different than the ones of the movies)

@theLittleOne :
well, take what I'll sy with a grain of salt as I'm not 100% sure of US IP law. (but you'll get the one from the rest of the world).

Personnaly I think you are not infringing.

Further, in any cases, the risk of you being condemned to a fine is (normally) very tiny :
-no profit whatsoever (not even by adds revenue)

-fan-work is treated a bit differently (it's not like taking the art from an unknown artiste for an unknown purpose when he would have needed you to buy it: here you are making a fan-work somehow derived from the film (you are not ripping the film off). I don't think nobody is gonna sue fangames based on master of Orion, Firefly, Star wars, Dune, star trek...etc (it was different in case of FFH... where art had to be ultra clean on the copyright side because the Age of Ice scenario was sold as part of a cIV extension)

-the art you use is inspired by the art of the film but is not the film per se (you are not using wholes images of the film nor animated section of the film).

-further many of those images are often re-worked to fit better/ have a different touch so they are not exactly the intellectual property as created by the film's team, even if it is close.

But personaly I like original art (or at least art different than the ones of the movies)

Yeah, that was basically what I thought before. Although for the Gondor and Isengard civs they are technically all still screenshots from the films. Hopefully that will all change soon.

And I'm really sorry everyone but thanks to the random power cuts we've been getting it looks like you're going to have to wait another two weeks for the Dwarves. I'm going on holiday and even if we do have internet (I don't think we will) I don't want to spend two weeks sitting in my room making a mod :D

Ok, nearly done but I don't think I can add mithril unfortunately. I mean I can add the resource but to make it appear on the map you need a knowledge of lua coding that I just don't have. Hopefully one day I'll be able to add it. Oh and this also means no pipeweed yet :/

Ask somebody who does to help you out. They might help you, it's not like you're asking them to make the mod for you.

Hello, just did my first playthroughs with your civs, and I really enjoyed them. My feedback:

1. Perhaps rename Gondor's leader to Elessar? Once Aragorn becomes the king of Gondor, he takes that name.

2. I know that you have already finished it, but I would suggest that Isengard be altered to fit a science/army production strategy. At least one of these middle earth civs should be geared for a science win, and Isengard makes by far the most sense (Saruman invented GUNPOWDER!). Saruman's greatest strength was that he could rapidly produce an army AND outfit them with rapidly produced steel weapons and armor in an era when humans had blacksmiths painstakingly work on each item.

Some sample ideas for Isengard (in no particular order or combination)

-gain science equal to a percentage of your production
-a unique workshop that also provides science and/or % on science
-a unique forge that increases the land unit production % and provides science
-manufacturies provide science as well
-conquering a city provides a large science bonus, capitals provide a free tech

-not to do with science, but I feel like worg riders shouldn't be about raw power but maybe start with the scout's terrain ability, combat bonus in rough terrain, and/or a flanking bonus, seeing as they serve more as shock troops than as powerful cavalry (hard to see wolves standing up against a cavalry charge) . Maybe even a 10% demoralize effect for their fearsome howling. The worg riders in the animated Hobbit movie gave me nightmares a child.

^.^ Little One. I'm back. Reaaaaaaally sorry, I moved a couple months back (when I disappeared) and haven't gotten the internet back until now (Since my computer broke).. Now I gotta re-install everything but I should be able to help pretty soon. I made an Uruk-Hai Unit (3D Art :D), but I'm not entirely sure that it'll be able to go into the game as it is, I know it has to be certain amount of bones and whatnot for the animations to work, so hopefully I got it good. Anything not so hard I can help with? I'm currently working on a Warg Rider unit, but I'd have to say, I'm pretty bad at it, and I'm trying to make it pretty nice, so it could be a while.

Whenever I re-install all my programs, I'll try and see if the Uruk-Hai fits. If not, I'll have a lot more work ahead of me..

I'm back! Sorry, I went on holiday again without telling you and have been playing a lot of other games and modding got put to the side for a couple of weeks.

Ask somebody who does to help you out. They might help you, it's not like you're asking them to make the mod for you.

I think I'll download one, see what the author did and see if I can somehow adapt their work to my new resources.

Hello, just did my first playthroughs with your civs, and I really enjoyed them. My feedback:

1. Perhaps rename Gondor's leader to Elessar? Once Aragorn becomes the king of Gondor, he takes that name.

2. I know that you have already finished it, but I would suggest that Isengard be altered to fit a science/army production strategy. At least one of these middle earth civs should be geared for a science win, and Isengard makes by far the most sense (Saruman invented GUNPOWDER!). Saruman's greatest strength was that he could rapidly produce an army AND outfit them with rapidly produced steel weapons and armor in an era when humans had blacksmiths painstakingly work on each item.

Some sample ideas for Isengard (in no particular order or combination)

-gain science equal to a percentage of your production
-a unique workshop that also provides science and/or % on science
-a unique forge that increases the land unit production % and provides science
-manufacturies provide science as well
-conquering a city provides a large science bonus, capitals provide a free tech

-not to do with science, but I feel like worg riders shouldn't be about raw power but maybe start with the scout's terrain ability, combat bonus in rough terrain, and/or a flanking bonus, seeing as they serve more as shock troops than as powerful cavalry (hard to see wolves standing up against a cavalry charge) . Maybe even a 10% demoralize effect for their fearsome howling. The worg riders in the animated Hobbit movie gave me nightmares a child.

Thanks for your ideas CivRulez, I do realise that some of the older civs I made are unbalanced. Once I have made the Dwarf and Hobbit civs, I will be moving onto total conversion before I make any more civs. While I'm doing that, I'll also go back to the previous civs and rebalance them

I read it, but in the interests of keeping this post short I cut out the text

Thanks, I'd love to see what you've done and in terms of helping, I've been making a template to make it easier to make new civs. Once I've made that, would you like to make a couple of civs using it? That would also give me more time to think about total conversion

To everyone: I'm sorry about the massive delays, from now on I'm going to stop setting myself deadlines because it just leaves everyone disappointed when I fail to meet them.

Top Bottom