Greater Europe - People of the Old World

Thanks! As for the Roughs Tower, I never noticed it - though it probably fits quite well anyway. Basically, a mistake I can't be bothered fixing. :p And help? Sure. I don't actually know what to do next at all - Italy, I'm currently trying to do some Lua for, Afghanistan and Vietnam are pretty mush finished, but I need a civ to do! I'm thinking Sardinia at the moment, but I honestly don't know. Worst comes to the worst, I'm seriously considering updating this. No promises, though. ;)

If you are taking requests aside from Moravia...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13207442&postcount=349
If you end up doing these guys you might make a Slavic pack with Moravia :)

Anyways I made 2 icons for Moravia if you want to see them:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Colors are taken from:
Spoiler :

I'm somewhat unsure about doing Carinthia, to be honest, just due to the lack if information. I kinda like to have somewhat of a historical base to the civs, but still make them mostly unknown. I will probably do it at some point, but Ukraine and Great Moravia seem like a good place to start a Slavic expansion!

Great Moravia
UA: Mat Zemlya
Your :c5faith: Faith contributes towards :c5culture: Culture in cities, and additionally :c5food: Food during wartime. Cities founded next to rivers start with +1 Population and gain +2 :c5faith: Faith.
UU: Togi Vodi
Replaces Pikeman. Whenever it starts its turn next to a Great General, it gains +1 :c5moves: Movement and +20 :c5strength: Combat Strength. Earns points towards Great Generals faster.
UB: Grod
Replaces Granary. +2 :c5food: Food over the normal Granary, and +2 :c5culture: Culture if the city is built next to a River. Units built in a city with a Grod gain a 10% Defence Bonus.

Ukraine (I know there's one currently being updated; I'd just rather have a larger focus on Slavs/Cossacks here.)
UA: Zaporizhian Host
Mounted Units have +25% :c5combat: Combat Strength when outside of Friendly Territory. Whenever war is declared, a free Mounted Unit appears near the :c5capital: Capital, along with a free Horse resource.
UU: Druzhina
Replaces Longswordsman. Whenever it is next to a Mounted Unit, it gains a :c5strength: Combat Bonus, as well as +1 :c5moves: Movement. Costs no maintenance while in friendly territory.
UU: Hetman
Replaces Great General. Has double movement outside friendly territory. Whenever it is inside a city, the city gains a 20% bonus towards :c5culture: Culture. Improves the combat strength of nearby Mounted Units.

I'm unsure as to if the bonuses are uninteresting or weak - feedback is appreciated!

Too bad. Oh well, the art is yours if you want it.
Some information I used as a base:
http://www.prah.net/slovenia/history/investiture/

Pretty interesting Civ in my opinion, and as the first Slavic state they definitely seem necessary in an early Slavic Civ bundle.

Also, Moravia and Ukraine seem solid.

I can help with some art if you want.

They do seem interesting - the lack of historical information just put me off. I'll try doing them, though, as that link you provided seems quite good. It's just that I want to have a military UU (keeping in line with other civs), and a more generic UB, as in, can be built in every city. It's just personal preference though, to be honest - if you can convince me otherwise, I'm all for doing it.

Sadly I can't really convince you.
It was a mere suggestion, and as you said, they lack a lot of historical information which makes it hard to find names and actual data about their military and stuff like that.

The link mostly talks about the installation of the Dukes. It essentially was a pseudo-democratic system where a candidate was brought near the Prince's stone where the peasants decided if he's worthy enough to be the Duke. And for that time this could be considered a pretty big thing.

The UB is supposed to reflect that, alongside the UU.

The UA is based on the fact that they united themselves with smaller tribes to create an organized country very early. Hence the more allies you have the more Social Policies, aka an organized state.

On top of that the Leader Valuk had an alliance with Samo, the leader of various tribes in order to fight off the Avars.
This is also, partially, reflected in the UA.

In short, they are just a Culture focused Civ in a unique way. Instead of conquest you intend to create a organized state ASAP through the help of CS, on which you also will rely for military assistance.

There really isn't much else, I have a city list, on which I'll work on more:
Spoiler :
Capital: Krnski Grad
Celovec
Oglej
Gospa
Sveta
Možberk
Padova
Verona
Liburnija
Trst
Forum
Iulii
Pula
Poreč
Novigrad
Koper
Gradež
Kranj
Blatenski kostel
Villach
Wolfsberg
St. Andrä
Feldkirchen
St. Veit an der Glan
Ebenthal
Eberndorf
Friesach

Also made a few Civilopedia entries for the Civ, the Leader, UA and UB...so basically everything except coding :lol:.

Thanks for the icon! Also, I don't really think that these civs are really that controversial, assuming it's about their independence from Spain. I'm Scottish (though British first :p), and am opposed to independence, though I wouldn't see a Scotland civ as controversial. To put it into perspective, there's several Hitler mods out there - I'm sure this can't get much more controversial.

Politics aside (sadly), here's my current line of thought for Great Moravia -

Leader: Svatopluk I
UA: Mat Zemlya (YES, I know this pretty much just means "Motherland", though I'm pretty sure there's another word for that, at least in Russian)
Cities built next to Rivers gain an additional citizen. +1 Culture and +1 Food for every citizen following the majority religion in the Capital. The outbreak of a war causes a melee unit to appear in every city.
UU: Druzina
Replaces Pikeman, though does not have a bonus against Mounted Units, and counts as a Melee unit instead. Whenever it starts its turn next to a Great General (Voivold), the Druzina gains +1 Movement and a 20% Combat Bonus. Earns Great Generals faster than regular units.
UU: Voivold
Replaces Great General. Whenever it is stationed in a city, the city gains a 15% bonus to Food and Culture, as well as +5 Happiness.

Not sure if this is really inspiring my inner Slav. Let's open it up to critique, shall we?

My intended strategy for them is a sort of wide-tall hybrid, which seems to be much what they were. So, the UA appears to be slightly over the place, but it contributes to a common cause. By settling cities (especially near Rivers), then having them following the same religion, you're gaining bonuses already. How to deal with the unhappiness generated? Simple. Use a Voivold. Station them in all your cities, and you're fine. But how to get the Voivode? Simple. Declare war on a few people; use the Druzina (which I intentionally made class as a Melee unit for purposes of the UA) to go in and earn some. How to deal with the unhappiness generated? Simple. Use a Voivode. How to get the Voivode? Simple. Stop rewriting stuff. :p

Thanks to Listek for inspiration!

No problem, I'm glad that someone took Great Moravia into account . If you need some info, just say it. Im quite good with Slavic history ( above avarage :) ). Aah yes, and Mat Zemya is "Matka Ziemia" in Polish. In Slavic culture Mat Zemya ( deity called Mokosz ) was a patron of Womens, Water, Sexuality, Fruits and so on.

So, UB should be a title upgrade, not a city upgrade. Gród is something like castle with people living in it ( a little city ). If you want to replace granary, pick meadery.

I like UU. But slavic spearmans could throw their spears too, but I think it may be too OP.

If you want, there is another Slavic civ, Samon State. But the infos are very short about this one ( oldest Slavic country known to history ).

Next thing is character of Slavs. Slavic people was quite peaceful, religious. More gatherer and hunters than warriors ( jet they fought a lot with vikings, germans and franks )
Cheers.

If you want, there is another Slavic civ, Samon State. But the infos are very short about this one ( oldest Slavic country known to history ).

I am not sure if that would really work, since they basically had no inner organization.

Although, I could see them having a UA similar to Germany in some aspects. Perhaps some sort of bonus towards fighting barbarians. However finding a city list would be incredibly hard, let alone enough information for a UU/UB/UI :crazyeye:

Yes, it's him. I just wrote a raw translate from Polish.

So I suppose it could be called the Samo Empire lead by Samo?

Right, Slavic stuff will continue shortly - I just have a question to ask first. Would anybody here be interested in making this a team effort? Of course, we need a new name - I'm thinking something to do with Europe, but I don't really know. The main reason I ask this is that my attention span on one civ at a time is too short to get them released unless I have others backing me. :p

Right, Slavic stuff will continue shortly - I just have a question to ask first. Would anybody here be interested in making this a team effort? Of course, we need a new name - I'm thinking something to do with Europe, but I don't really know. The main reason I ask this is that my attention span on one civ at a time is too short to get them released unless I have others backing me. :p

I'd like to help, but as I said I can only help with art and ideas.

Your title!

Very nice. I like!

Top Bottom