Civ 6 ideas

Here are my ideas:

*Tech needs to be fixed, it should not be possible to get a massive lead over everyone else

*Better AI

*More Civs: Italy, Canada etc.

*Wonders need to be overhauled. Why should I have to stop building a wonder that is 95% complete because someone else built it? Especially if I haven't even met them yet. Makes absolutely no sense. Maybe just completly replace it with National Wonders.

*Ranged units should be able to counterattack other ranged units

*Gunpowder Units should be ranged units

*Infantry units should be able to share tiles with a Mounted or Siege unit

*There should be a new unit between Pikemen and Musketmen called Pike and Shot

*There should be a new unit called Cuirassier between Knights and Cavalry

*Scouts should become more powerful as the game progresses. Maybe they get a combat boost every time you enter a new era. Not enough to be threatening, but enough so they aren't cannon fodder.

*No X-Com unit

*Wonders need to be overhauled. Why should I have to stop building a wonder that is 95% complete because someone else built it? Especially if I haven't even met them yet. Makes absolutely no sense. Maybe just completly replace it with National Wonders.

I agree. I think the easiest fix is to give each wonder a "first place" bonus and a "second place" bonus that would be much less. So if you are the first in the world, you would get the top bonus but if someone else beats to it, you can still finish the wonder and get some bonus, albeit a smaller one.

I agree. I think the easiest fix is to give each wonder a "first place" bonus and a "second place" bonus that would be much less. So if you are the first in the world, you would get the top bonus but if someone else beats to it, you can still finish the wonder and get some bonus, albeit a smaller one.

I really like this idea!

^ Hmm, lots of the wonders have benefits that can't be scaled down - e.g. free great people, tech, slots etc. Not sure if this was what was meant...I guess you could think up new less-powerful packages of bonuses for 2nd places. But then what if 2nd place is 1 turn behind the "winner" and every other civ is 1 more turn behind 2nd? Then we'll soon be saying it's "unfair" on 3rd onwards...

IMO going for a wonder should be a somewhat high risk/reward action, with ways to minimize the risk. Like if I really want a wonder, I make sure to get the tech early, and build in a city with good production. It is a strategy game after all - if good planning doesn't reward us and bad planning penalize us, where's the strategy?! :p

The Civ 4 system of giving your invested hammers back, converted into gold, always seemed a decent solution and not unrealistic (i.e. an insurance payout from the building contractors). So the wonders can have nice meaty, wonder-ful, bonuses, but losing an early one doesn't mean game instaloss. Works quite well for the AIs too since they can't really be expected to judge the costs/benefits as well as a human can.

And anything to avoid the bizarre situation where the same wonder of the world would exist in more than one city...What would we have on the city screen then? Instead of "Statue of Liberty: +1:c5production:" it would have to say like "Statue of Liberty, Legs, Torso, Right arm: +0.75:c5production:" or something :lol:

^ Hmm, lots of the wonders have benefits that can't be scaled down - e.g. free great people, tech, slots etc. Not sure if this was what was meant...I guess you could think up new less-powerful packages of bonuses for 2nd places. But then what if 2nd place is 1 turn behind the "winner" and every other civ is 1 more turn behind 2nd? Then we'll soon be saying it's "unfair" on 3rd onwards...

More like everyone who started the construction and didn't finish it first gets a weaker building - and not necessarily with the same kind of bonuses.

And anything to avoid the bizarre situation where the same wonder of the world would exist in more than one city...What would we have on the city screen then? Instead of "Statue of Liberty: +1:c5production:" it would have to say like "Statue of Liberty, Legs, Torso, Right arm: +0.75:c5production:" or something :lol:

Winner: "Statue of Liberty". Losers: "Monumental statue",
Winner: "Mosque of Djenne" Losers:"Great Mosque",
etc...

My top 5 ideas for Civ 6 (Numbers to be tweaked and temporarily pulled out of ass):

Scout :)c5production: 25 :strength: 5 :move: 2) > Explorer :)c5production: 150 :strength: 22 :move: 2) > Ranger/Commando/Special Ops :)c5production: 500 :strength: 60 :move: 2)
  • Allows for a more meaningful endgame upgrade for the Recon Class.
  • Explorer available from Astronomy
    - Commando available from Radar (Because a Commando also got the paradrop ability)
  • Existing scouts and explorers could be upgraded to Commando.
  • The Commando is a stealthed unit, like a submarine.
  • Policies, unit promotions, not having open borders and stuff increases chance for the Commando to be exposed if in foreign territory.
  • Exposing units like these during peace could trigger at least two options:
    - Execute the traitor, killing the unit and leaving a negative diplomacy modifier with the owner.
    - Forgive the action, and release the unit back to its owners capital, leaving a positive diplomacy modifier.
    During war, the unit would be instantly executed without any diplomacy modifer at all.
  • Works like the Spy from Civ 2, an invisible unit that can move into other civs territory without declaring war in order to spread propaganda to eventually cause a culture flip, sabotage tile improvements, sabotage production in cities and maybe even city improvements.

Camouflage
  • An enhancement of the existing fortify, that blends the unit into the local terrain after staying fortified for 5 turns (when the fortification defensive bonus reaches 25%).
  • Camouflages the unit for all other civs, but are revealed if performing an action. Camouflaged units will also be revealed if a foreign unit of any type enters an adjacent tile.
  • Air units doing recon missions could have a 33% chance to reveal camouflaged units on flat land, and 10% in rough terrain.
  • Makes terrain and proper planning more valuable than before.
  • This better reflects warfare through the different eras, and essentially allows for pillboxes, anti tank bunkers, anti aircraft batteries and artillery sites to be strategically positioned around the world.

Opportunity Fire for Fortified Units
  • Like some of you might remember from Civ 3, ranged units and tanks had a nice feature called opportunity fire. It only worked with fortified units (if i recall correctly), and when an enemy unit passed through on an adjacent tile, the fortified unit had a chance to attack it.

Outpost, Radar Towers and Airfields
  • Outpost - Unlocked with Construction - Can be built outside of city boundaries in order to dispel the fog of war for a certain distance that varies according to the surrounding terrain and elevation of the outpost.
  • Airfield - Unlocked with Flight - Expands air operations beyond what is possible through cities alone. You will not be able to build airbase in other Civs' territory or upgrade air units in airbase.
  • Radar Tower - Unlocked with Radar - Will give anti aircraft units within 3 hexes the possibility to perform two interceptions pr round instead of one.

Random Events - This is something i truly miss from Civ IV, and brought a lot of flavour to the game for me. Should at least be available as an option when starting a new game. Like some bows were better than others, some nations had better steel than others and so on. Just a few crude examples without criteria needed to achieve them below:
  • Crusade - Claim the holy city of your religion for bonus happiness
  • Baby Boom - When signing a peace treaty there is a chance that your cities gain +1 population.
  • Dust Bowl - Poor farming tecniques have lead to a dust bowl destroying X farms near CITY.
  • Rifled Cannon - All Cannon units gain the Siege promotion
  • Gladiator - A unit stationed in a city with colloseum have a chance to become a legendary gladiator, granting him the March promotion.

One Unit Type pr Tile (As opposed to One Unit pr Tile) - It would in my opinion be the best of both worlds. Maneuvering units with 1UPT and a large army can be both frustrating and look incredibly silly, covering the size of a small planet with your army. It would be better to allow stacking to a certain extent, for example allowing 1 unit of each Combat Type to stack with eachother.
  • That would allow 1 Archery Unit, 1 Melee or Gunpowder Unit, 1 Siege Unit, 1 Mounted or Armored Unit and 1 Recon Unit to stack on the same tile.
  • Maybe even group the Archery Unit and Siege Unit, only allowing for one ranged attacker pr tile would be a good idea.
  • Could be balanced around the best defender defending the stack, but all units takes equal amounts of damage, or something around those lines to provide some risk/reward element.
  • Ships should not be allowed to stack regardless of type
  • Embarked units should are already very vulnerable as is, and should not suffer to the stacking penalty.

As you can see, this is just a brainstorm of what I would love to see. It's not a suggestion on how to do it, that should be up to the devs :)

My civ6 idea: city only social policies.

Basically, the culture that a city produces could be spent on special social policies that only apply to that city. These city-only social policies would serve to further specialize your cities. You could have a coastal city with a bonus to producing naval units while a city inland could be your culture center or a city with iron could get a industry bonus.

supply lines
1. use caravan to link a city (supply base) with a great general to enable the healing of nearby units (otherwise can only be healed while garrisoned). this caravan can be pillaged by enemy units ofc.
1a. ranged units should take damage at shooting, what would represent the expenditure of ammo
1b. all units take damage at moving
2. healing costs gold

Submarines
Submarines ignore borders. Sparks diplomatic tensions, even ignite war if discovered.

Escalation to just war
A just war means that there is no warmonger penalty in starting the war. Some events trigger tension between nations that can escalate to war. According to Rules of War (wiki) a nation can justly enter war with another nation(s) if some criteria is met.
- Spying events
- Border steel
- Submarines in border

Movement:
Certains units must be able to stack like caravans. Like Great People, missionaries, scouts, workers. Must not block other units in it’s path like military units. Very frustrating to have to take a long path around a scout unit with a tank. Makes no sense.

Diplomatic screen
- Add map where both players borders are highlighted on a map
- Diplomatic relationship. Who are his allies and enemies.

Alliances
Nations often create alliances that go to war with them. Especially in the industrial era (Austrian/Hungarian empire). These nations act as one in war or even trade embargoes.

Alliances can be formed by close relations. Especially religion ties nations together. Nations can be “threatened” into joining an alliance. If a nation is conquered it can be resurrected and joined your alliance. There will be xx amount of turns where this nation not challenge your decisions depending on; religion, previous diplomatic relationship, etc.

Alliances can be broken after certain no turns. Often triggers war.

Nation to empire
Nations status should change if they reach an empire status. Also if part of an alliance it should be displayed. Like “Austria - Hansa Rostock Alliance”

Great People
Capture Great People and use them. Just like missionaries.

Except generals:
- Get paid for ransom back to opponent.
- When captured they randomly drop information on; troop positions, map, etc.

Huts & antiquity sites should have more unique drops:
Huts: Settler, worker, Great People

Antiquity sites: religious items that sparks extra religion points or even missionaries at capital. Also can become a religious site. Event that converts people to that faith around the world.

Barbarian camps should occasionally drop something
In the ruins of barbarian camps there could be found: artifacts, Great People, settlers. Some barbarian camps should be better defended and hold bigger chance of item drop.

Spoils of war
Territories (hexagons) where nations have contesting borders.

Units
Anti-air artillery must not have attack capabilities

Colonies (Know this is a HUGE feature to build but could be fun)
Colonies are independent units that can be bought or are spawned by the right circumstances. They are can be sent of in a direction and will by their own travel to another continent and settle. If they survive the journey they will find a spot to settle. Once settled a trade united will be created and starts to send money back to your nation. The settlement will grow independently and become vassal nation under your empire. They can rebel and declare independence for certain number of reasons. Can also be conquered and traded between nations. They also spawn characters and can find sources of luxury and natural wonders. They will act as your allies in time of war. Colonists spawn in time before seafaring. Only units for a time period that has the ability to travel across oceans.

They will encounter indigenous people with different abilities, characteristics, strength etc.

You can send them troops if in trouble.

Moderator Action: Two Civ 6 Ideas threads merged

Top Bottom