Deity blues

It doesn't snowball as much as you make it sound.

Science being mostly a function of food, your core science doesn't miraculously grow exponentially like you're describing just because you're getting ancient/classical techs a bit faster.

Meanwhile you have to deal with less available wonders, more CS competition, bigger threats and possibly crappier lands. And if we're talking about a culture victory, immortal AI will always have a lot less accumulated culture.

It's not even clear there is a difference and if there is one I'd value it around 5-10 turns in one way or the other. Not 100.
Not as little as you make it sound, though. So if I'm overestimating and you're underestimating, the truth must be somewhere in the middle:)

I have had games where there's 4 incoming trade routes to the capital plus 2 going out from it, and the total BPT is 26. Philosophy takes 7 turns to research. Compared to games with the SAME SIZED CAPITAL (how your food functions into the equation) where there aren't any civs in trade range and it's just the capital, the total BPT is 6. Philosophy takes 26 turns to research. Granted, other civs having already discovered the tech does adjust the cost, but I'm pretty sure having 4 1/2 times the BPT factors into that equation a little.

Assuming work starts on NC the very turn you get this tech and assuming comparable hammers to do it, the NC would finish 15 turns earlier. And if the argument is that having an early NC doesn't affect the end-game,. I'd refer you to about 1/3 of the total posts on this forum.

Assuming work starts on NC the very turn you get this tech and assuming comparable hammers to do it, the NC would finish 15 turns earlier.

All these are false assumptions which is exactly my point. Unless you play OCC I guess.

The trade routes do not accelerates your settler production, they do not make it easier to get your Libraries online, they don't get you Tradition finisher faster, they do not accelerate anything beyond your science. And your core science is mostly a product of food, not science itself (at least until industrial/modern era, at which point your biggest increase is indeed the last 2 science techs but at that point TR science is irrelevant).
Granted, accelerating Civil Service and Engineering (for liberty) does lead to a snowball effect but due to the previous point you won't get these so much faster and Deity still has to deal with a lot of negatives.
If I gave you Education on turn 0 it is unlikely it would lead to a big difference in finishing times (of course it'd help). On the other hand if I give you Aqueducts and Civil Service on turn 0, now we're talking.

Want evidence that Immortal is not slower ?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=549792
Now if you have even a 10 turn faster deity science victory I'm all willing to see it.

All these are false assumptions which is exactly my point.
"All these" refers to only 2 suppositions. First, that you're going to start building NC as soon as you discover philo, which can't really be argued is a bad strategy. Some may argue that it's always the best, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not go that far , but it's rather difficult to make the argument that its a bad strategy. Second, I only insinuated that production was about the same (from game to game in the capital) to be able to state that it would finish at about the same time. If production isn't about the same, then the result may be finishing a turn or two later, maybe 5 if there's a considerable change in production of the capital. But that hardly makes it a sweeping statement that is negated by the "false assumption.," rather a slight change in the data.

The trade routes do not accelerates your settler production
I beg to differ. 5 trade routes at 10 gold apiece buys an extra settler every 10 turns, and you don't even have to halt the production of your capital, which by the way helps out your food=research argument. You need an awful lot of extra food to compensate for shutting down growth entirely in your capital for 8-10 turns
they do not make it easier to get your Libraries online
libraries can also be bought. see above.
they do not accelerate anything beyond your science
yes they do, your GPT. which negates all your other arguments except Tradition finisher.
And your core science is mostly a product of food, not science itself
?? NO, your core science is a function of beakers. True, beakers in turn are often primarily a function of population which can be accelerated by extra food, but that brings us to the argument of whether it's more effective to have a 4F/2B tile or a 6F tile (the classic argument of whether or not to cut down and plantation banana/jungle tiles) and that argument can go on until we're both blue in the face.

(at least until industrial/modern era, at which point your biggest increase is indeed the last 2 science techs but at that point TR science is irrelevant).
very true. Also very irrelevant to the point.

If I gave you Education on turn 0 it is unlikely it would lead to a big difference in finishing times (of course it'd help)
And this summarizes my point: Having more gold and especially beakers will help you achieve victory and probably earlier. Even more so, having these bonuses come earlier in the game has a much bigger impact than if they came later.

Want evidence that Immortal is not slower ?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=549792
Now if you have even a 10 turn faster deity science victory I'm all willing to see it.
Um... evidence yes, but not even remotely close to proof. All this says is that the guy that finished the game quickest on immortal did so 10 turns earlier than the guy who finished the game quickest on deity. And there's about 10,000,000,000 factors that established when they achieved victory other than the difficulty level.

And with that I'm going to digress. I've made my point, and that is trade routes can potentially increase your early BPT considerably, possibly 4 or 5 times over. This increase can lead to big game milestones happening earlier, significantly earlier. But I also admit that it's complete and utter luck having those trade options be available. I also have found that because of this, deity games finish at about the same time as immortal, and you're evidence supports this as the diety game and immortal game finished 10 turns apart, less than a 5% difference, which could be considered "about the same time."
If you want to argue that having 5 BPT at turn 40 has the same effect as having 25 BPT at turn 40, then I guess you can play your way and I'll play mine. I guess you also shouldn't build academies early on because you could have 2 extra food from that tile instead of 8, 10, or 12 extra beakers.

"All these" refers to only 2 suppositions. First, that you're going to start building NC as soon as you discover philo, which can't really be argued is a bad strategy. Some may argue that it's always the best, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not go that far , but it's rather difficult to make the argument that its a bad strategy.

No you're missing the point. It's not about starting the NC as fast as possible. Getting Philosophy is not the limiting factor. You're assuming that a faster philo always translates to an equally faster NC. This is 100% false. As is the assumption that this amount of time will also be the same or bigger for your Education timing as you did in your first post. This is simply not how it works.

Timing Philo without trade route science is easy.

I beg to differ. 5 trade routes at 10 gold apiece buys an extra settler every 10 turns, and you don't even have to halt the production of your capital, which by the way helps out your food=research argument. You need an awful lot of extra food to compensate for shutting down growth entirely in your capital for 8-10 turns

Wait ? 5 international trade routes ? Before settler production ? What are we talking about here ?

?? NO, your core science is a function of beakers. True, beakers in turn are often primarily a function of population which can be accelerated by extra food, but that brings us to the argument of whether it's more effective to have a 4F/2B tile or a 6F tile (the classic argument of whether or not to cut down and plantation banana/jungle tiles) and that argument can go on until we're both blue in the face.

Not the same thing. Accelerating science does not make you grow faster which is where the bulk of your science comes from. This is the exact same reason why people keep (most) of their great scientists around. Getting 8 turns of science right now is not always as good as 8 turns of science at the end. There are some exceptions, mostly being bulbing ST and Plastics.

And this summarizes my point: Having more gold and especially beakers will help you achieve victory and probably earlier. Even more so, having these bonuses come earlier in the game has a much bigger impact than if they came later.
I'm not denying it helps :rolleyes: It's a positive factor on deity. Deity also has to deal with other negative factors.

Um... evidence yes, but not even remotely close to proof. All this says is that the guy that finished the game quickest on immortal did so 10 turns earlier than the guy who finished the game quickest on deity. And there's about 10,000,000,000 factors that established when they achieved victory other than the difficulty level.

Better than random forum mumbling wouldn't you say ? Also I'm not sure where you take your fastest deity time since the fastest HoF game is currently owned by IronfighterXXX around T198. My HoF record is T201 and I've had a T207 on that GotM Immortal game. Like I said in my earlier post 5-10 turns at the most ;)

And with that I'm going to digress. I've made my point, and that is trade routes can potentially increase your early BPT considerably, possibly 4 or 5 times over. This increase can lead to big game milestones happening earlier, significantly earlier. But I also admit that it's complete and utter luck having those trade options be available.
You can luck out and also have TR going your way on immortal you know. It's not a all or nothing situation.

I also have found that because of this, deity games finish at about the same time as immortal, and you're evidence supports this as the diety game and immortal game finished 10 turns apart, less than a 5% difference, which could be considered "about the same time."

Then what exactly are you arguing if you agree with me that there is a small difference at best ? :confused:

If you want to argue that having 5 BPT at turn 40 has the same effect as having 25 BPT at turn 40, then I guess you can play your way and I'll play mine. I guess you also shouldn't build academies early on because you could have 2 extra food from that tile instead of 8, 10, or 12 extra beakers.

Strawmaning. It's not 5 vs 25 and I have no idea where the academy part comes from.

And yes I think I'll keep playing my way thank you :D No need to leave the discussion in a tantrum.

What question exactly are you debating?

What I've been noticing is that deity victories are often faster than immortal difficulty games.

That is a fair generalization, yes?

You have better players competing to get games over with quickly. More people are interested in that play style at Deity than with lower levels. No surprise there.

The Deity level AIs are more competitive with the player than the Immortal AIs. So as a struggling player, I have to get my games over with more quickly if I am going to see a VC at all.

Deity victories may or may not be faster than Immortal victories. It depends on the skill, map, civ, players involved, and many other in-game circumstances, like early trade routes towards, conveniently placed barb camps that make CS alliances. I think it ranges somewhere in the ballpark of +-20 turns

What question exactly are you debating?

This

In a game of exponential growth, nothing can have a more powerful impact than having an awesome start. And having your early game research quadrupled or more snowballs radically ( access to NC being 10 turns earliier leads to civil service 15 turns earlier, leading to education 22 turns earlier, and so on.)

And more generally the fact that if there is a difference it's above 10turns.

Top Bottom